Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
mikey19
mikey19 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle
Can't Decide b/w DX or Kindle 3

Hey guys,
I am a student that just preordered a kindle 3.
I plan to use the kindle to read mostly science based text books with figures and also lots of PDFs.

I know the DX has a large screen, which is what I prefer; but I also see that the new kindle 3 has much better PDF options like highlight and annotation?

Am I correct on this? Do you guys know (for sure) if Amazon will update the DX in the very near future? or would Amazon release a software update that will bring all the new features of Kindle 3 to the DX?

If so, I think i'm gonna order a DX immediately b/c I need to start reading those books since my exams are coming up!

and I found that those ebooks (textbooks) are cheaper than their paper versions

Thanks
mikey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
With PDFs, I think you'll have a better reading experience on the DX than on the 6" Kindle.
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I agree, PDF textbooks will work much better on the DX due to the larger screen. And I expect the DX to get the same PDF handling features as the K3 soon. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

For my money: get the DXG (Oh, wait...for my money, I did )
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
NetCat99
NetCat99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey19 View Post
Hey guys,
I am a student that just preordered a kindle 3.
I plan to use the kindle to read mostly science based text books with figures and also lots of PDFs.

I know the DX has a large screen, which is what I prefer; but I also see that the new kindle 3 has much better PDF options like highlight and annotation?

Am I correct on this? Do you guys know (for sure) if Amazon will update the DX in the very near future? or would Amazon release a software update that will bring all the new features of Kindle 3 to the DX?

If so, I think i'm gonna order a DX immediately b/c I need to start reading those books since my exams are coming up!

and I found that those ebooks (textbooks) are cheaper than their paper versions

Thanks
If you really want a kindle, buy DX, you can't really read those big books with 6 inch kindle.
If you are willing to explore other options, then check out pixel qi before buying a kindle: http://www.pixelqi.com/products
NetCat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Most PDFs are very good to read on Kindle, even the techy ones like the Office Manuals / Reference Books from Microsoft Press.

I'm looking forward to the FW-Update offering the same PDF-Support to DX as K3 will have, that really would be great!
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Well, I think this was probably a bad purchase on your part. Science textbooks are one area in which it is better to have a paper book than an electronic one. That is why electronic books of this type are cheaper. If these books have a very good hot-linked table of contents and you use the bookmark function a lot, you may get by, but you'll waste a lot of time & energy doing it.

I would think a Kindle DX would be better, to make sure that the whole graphic can fit on the screen and still be legible.

I may get crucified for saying this, but I would spend the money on a laptop instead. Preferably a Macbook of some kind. (not sure if the text is available in a format that Mac can read. Are the textbooks PDFs?) If you already have a laptop, do yourself a favor and find your books online, used. There are online book swapping/selling sites just for students. Search them out.

There has been at least one college that Amazon has furnished with Kindles for their coursework, and it didn't work out well. Too much flipping back and forth and too hard to keep notes handy and organized.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
HANG HIM!
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
Why not eventually get both?

I ordered the Kindle 3 instead of the DX, mostly because there are a few things I want to see improved on the DX before I'm willing to purchase one. If the next version of the DX has those improvements, then I'll likely buy one at that time. The K3 should be able to tide me over until then.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
Spankypoo
Enthusiast
Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Myriad
DX, but expect neither to be fantastic for PDF use.
Spankypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
If you read Text books (txt, azw, prc, mobi, tpz): then Kindle 3 with 6" display is more light and is more comfortable.

If you read PDFs, scanned books, magazines, comics or newspaperes; so Kindle DX/DXG with 9.7" display will be really better.

Last edited by meem; 08-20-2010 at 07:35 PM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote