Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol

This was released today in the UK (I assume worldwide). Now I know how a lot of you feel about Dan Brown and I am sure that a lot of those feelings are going to be vented again (btw Happy Birthday MoeJoe).

Personally, I have bought the book as I have enjoyed all of Dan's previous work (and with Waterstones selling the e-book at the same discounted price as the PB how could I not buy it?).

I have a few other books on my list, but I am looking forward to reading this book. It may not be a literary masterpiece, but it is an easy read.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've bought it too. Dan Brown isn't "great literature", but he's always a "good read".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I managed to get a copy in France (through Waterstones, UK) but had to pay more for the ebook than the hardback costs elsewhere. That ain't acceptable. But, what the heck; as a pro fiction editor, I must admit to admiring the way Dan Brown goes about the task of being a reliable, jobbing author. High literature? Of course not. A solid and thrilling read ... more than certainly! He works to a formula, of course. But so do all serious workers in any field. Nice to see though how folks like Brown go a little beyond mere chemistry and dabble with alchemy. It's all darned good fun. And if the crazy hype prompts a few folks to pick up a book and read, maybe re-consider some pre-conceived ideas, the guy's doing literature in general a great service. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I managed to get a copy in France (through Waterstones, UK) but had to pay more for the ebook than the hardback costs elsewhere.
How much did you have to pay?

I bought from Waterstones UK for £9.49 which is the same price as the Hardback (a 50% 'discount')

While a lot of places are selling the book at silly prices (I think Amazon are selling for £4.99), I think that £9.49 is a reasonable price and am glad the E-book price reflected this. I am hoping that this is a way forward for Waterstones who in the past I have slated for their unreasonable prices...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I did order it, but can't download it as fictionwise threw away my credit card information and won't save my new credit card information (even though it is "validated"...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
This was released today in the UK (I assume worldwide). Now I know how a lot of you feel about Dan Brown and I am sure that a lot of those feelings are going to be vented again (btw Happy Birthday MoeJoe).

Personally, I have bought the book as I have enjoyed all of Dan's previous work (and with Waterstones selling the e-book at the same discounted price as the PB how could I not buy it?).

I have a few other books on my list, but I am looking forward to reading this book. It may not be a literary masterpiece, but it is an easy read.
As much as I despise Dan Brown and can't stand what he does, I would rather every non-reader in the world read Dan Brown than nothing at all. If he promotes reading on any level, then he's a success in at least one, very important, area.

To that end I put up the Waterstons 20% offer in a thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...713#post592713
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
PieOPah
Addict

Post removed due to Blonde Moment

Last edited by PieOPah; 09-15-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
And I wish I had looked at Books on Board first which has it at £5.68....

Ah well, too late now!
Damnit that's cheap as chips, I might even be tempted at the price.

Start a thread in the Freebies forum, and can I have the link, cause I'll put it in my 20% post too.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
PieOPah
Addict

Ignore my post (now removed) - I had the book in my cart and wasn't reading it properly - it was for Angels and Demons.

I blame the wife for keeping me up all night with her snoring. I was too tired to realise what I was looking at!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Nah, that $9.99 is better spent elsewhere for me
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have it on reserve from the library in ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
PieOPah
Addict

I have asked my local library whether they would be likely to do e-books.

About 6 months ago they said they had no plans. More recently, they just ignored me...
Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
My wife will probably buy it soon. I have no plans to read it but I will probably pick it up some day when I need a very effective but thoughtless distraction. It will probably do nicely for that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
As I am based in far away Singapore, I guess I am just glad to be able to buy it so quickly at USD9.99 at Sony Ebook Store

http://tiny.cc/aUuAR
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I'm guilty, downloaded it as soon as I got up this morning. Added it to both mine and DH's reader., We leave for vacation in a week, it'll be a good vacation read.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote