Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Newbie question on all this Amazon DRM stuff

I've been reading all of these threads about Amazon, DRM, KindlePID and everything, but I can't figure out what, if anything it means to me. The K2 is my first dedicated ebook reader, and I ended up choosing it because it seemed like Amazon has the largest selection of books. I have no specialized requirements (textbooks, professional journals or papers, etc.) or library of ebooks to convert. I have no issue with paying Amazon's prices, and I'm not interested in taking a principled stand against DRM (no offense to those who choose to take that stand). I just want to read books, and I wanted to be where I have the greatest chance of finding the books I want.

It seems like the books I'm most disappointed about not seeing on Amazon (Hobbit/LOR, Harry Potter, Nero Wolfe) aren't available anywhere because of rights issues, while most books that are available in ebook form can be purchased from Amazon or are available in unprotected format.

So what am I missing? Is there some significant selection that is available at MobiPocket or other sellers, but not Amazon? Do I really need to care about this?
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I
So what am I missing? Is there some significant selection that is available at MobiPocket or other sellers, but not Amazon? Do I really need to care about this?
No, you don't really need to care if you only listen to everyones favorite radio station WIFM. (what's in it for me?)

Technically you will be fine.

Not sure why you started a new thread about this.... don't we have enough threads on this topic?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is the problem as I see it.

YOU may not care about library books, but many do.

We can no longer help others learn how to run library books on their kindle....legally, without stripping drm.

We can't post links, we can't send them to our wiki to learn how.

This site is all about learning to get the most from your device. The library is a BIG part of that.

They took away our ability to help others learn.

Someday, you may want to do something with your kindle, and there are people that could help you do that.

But Amazon says "NOT!"
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Just remember that DRM sucks.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For me, it's mainly the way they went about things. They didn't need to do it the way they did.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest or come across like I'm defending Amazon's actions (I'm not). I was just confused about whether I'm missing something.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest or come across like I'm defending Amazon's actions (I'm not). I was just confused about whether I'm missing something.
Don't be sorry, just continue to use and enjoy your Kindle. I do and plan keep enjoying it for years to come. But I will also make my feelings known to Amazon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
You are not able to purchase DRM'd content from booksellers other than Amazon or checkout library books without your Kindle PID. This gives Amazon a monopoly on what you read on your Kindle, and allows them to raise book prices to whatever they wish, because there is effectively no competition.

Since using the KindlePID/KindleFix was a method of allowing Kindle users to obtain content from sources other than Amazon without breaking the DRM, many people feel that it is unfair and heavy handed for Amazon to have taken this position. It's certainly not in "customers" interest. Perhaps we are also leary of where Amazon is going with this.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I understand what you were saying. No one will take it personally.

I was trying to show you why we're so upset.

I have learned so much from this site, and to not be able to show others the same, or point them in the right direction, just sits wrong with me.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
You are not able to purchase DRM'd content from booksellers other than Amazon or checkout library books without your Kindle PID. This gives Amazon a monopoly on what you read on your Kindle, and allows them to raise book prices to whatever they wish, because there is effectively no competition.
But this is how the Kindle is sold. So nothing has changed from a customers perspective. You cannot trust that workarounds will work forever.

By buying a Kindle you do support the creation of the Amazon monopoly. At least if you also buy books from Amazon.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Is it still OK to point out that if you install an old enough version of Mobipocket Desktop (6.0, I think), you can read the Kindle 1 PID directly in the program, once you connect?
Doest this still work for Kindle 2?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Some of us just don't like to see the little guy (i.e. us here at MR) beaten up by a big bully (Amazon & DMCA) just because they can and want to.

MR did nothing illegal or wrong but were/are treated like criminals.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Is it still OK to point out that if you install an old enough version of Mobipocket Desktop (6.0, I think), you can read the Kindle 1 PID directly in the program, once you connect?
Doest this still work for Kindle 2?
If you are running Vista,even the version 6.0 won't recognize the Kindle.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
If you just bought a Kindle (like I did) for the Amazon store and free public domain books from places like Feedbooks, then no you have nothing to worry about.

It's a crappy thing for Amazon to do, but it won't affect the average user. It will affect many of the more techy users on places like this that wanted to buy from other places or put the effort in to get library books to work etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
If you just bought a Kindle (like I did) for the Amazon store and free public domain books from places like Feedbooks, then no you have nothing to worry about.

It's a crappy thing for Amazon to do, but it won't affect the average user. It will affect many of the more techy users on places like this that wanted to buy from other places or put the effort in to get library books to work etc.
Really? Are you saying "the average user" isn't interested in downloading books from the library to read on their Kindles?

People who love to read usually patronize a library. Being able to do so without leaving your house is a huge bonus. Obviously, not all books are available, but most are.

There is very little effort involved in getting the books on your Kindle. You don't need to be 'tech savvy' to do so.

Take it from one who knows.