Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How do you digitize a six foot wide book?

A wonderful article at BoingBoing about how the British Library is scanning and digitizing the 350 year old Klencke Atlas. It has been scanned in a lower resolution before, but this represents the state-of-the-art in scanning oversized books.

Watch how librarians digitize a 6-foot wide book

Last edited by drjenkins; 05-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
I've got another question. Who would ever want to create a 6-foot wide book?
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Apparently as a showpiece and map preserver
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I've never been to one but I imagine newspaper morgues might have such books. They preserve the texts of old newspapers (pre-microfilm) in large over sized books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've never been to one but I imagine newspaper morgues might have such books. They preserve the texts of old newspapers (pre-microfilm) in large over sized books.
You know, I had forgotten about them. But I don't think that fully opened, the typical newspaper of today would come close to being six feet across.

Which brings up another point . . . . for the life of me, I don't see why more newspapers don't go to the tabloid format. It is far easier to manage, etc. The only thing that I can think of is that tabloids, in the U.S., at least, are associated with trash, sleaze, lies, etc.) and most newspapers don't want that association (even if those newspapers do, in fact, have a lot of trash, sleaze, lies, etc. ha).
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Apparently as a showpiece and map preserver
I can imagine its use as a showpiece, but as a map preserver, no. I can't think of any reason that any map should be that big--you can always cover less area on a map or reduce the scale.

I can't believe that a book like being actually used, but I'll read up on it. Can you imagine Magellan, trying to find his Strait, telling one of his crew to bring up from downstairs a book like that, so he could find his way! It would probably take a crane. Shiver me timbers!

Yep, I think that it had to be a showpiece. But I'll be interested in seeing the results of the digitizing, from a practical standpoint.

BTW--my hunch, from reading here and there, is that the British Museum is probably on the forefront in the world of digitizing old things. Thank you, British Museum!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Which brings up another point . . . . for the life of me, I don't see why more newspapers don't go to the tabloid format. It is far easier to manage, etc. The only thing that I can think of is that tabloids, in the U.S., at least, are associated with trash, sleaze, lies, etc.) and most newspapers don't want that association (even if those newspapers do, in fact, have a lot of trash, sleaze, lies, etc. ha).
I don't think there's a Dutch newspaper that isn't tabloid format...

Back on topic:

I wonder how they even made that 6 foot wide book originally! And couldn't they have anticipated that some day people would want to scan that book to preserver it for eternity...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:06 AM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Really bad eyesight.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
According to Wikipedia the Klencke Atlas consists of 41 copperplate wall maps. The supposed intention was that you would tear out the map you wanted and mount it on the wall. Apparently someone said "Don't do that, this might be worth something in 350 years".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klencke_Atlas
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
According to Wikipedia the Klencke Atlas consists of 41 copperplate wall maps. The supposed intention was that you would tear out the map you wanted and mount it on the wall. Apparently someone said "Don't do that, this might be worth something in 350 years".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klencke_Atlas
I only know I'd love to have that book! I'm crazy about old maps.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You know, that's neat and all, and I'll go check out the article, but I'd have thought that with even consumer-quality digital cameras, you'd have high enough quality, and the easy-to-use panorama and stitching software, to make this a somewhat trivial task.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
That makes it a relatively small book.
Mason Williams on the other hand, well, his was a big book.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't think there's a Dutch newspaper that isn't tabloid format...
Yeah, I've been to Europe a time or two, but I didn't pay any attention to their newspapers, that I remember. But when you see a person reading a newspaper on TV and such in the U.K., it is inevitably a tabloid. One thing (of many, I'm sure) where the Europeans could teach the Americans something.

Quote:
Back on topic:

I wonder how they even made that 6 foot wide book originally!
Great question. I suppose that it was like the "illuminated" Bibles. I have almost no knowledge of them, but it seems that each scribe/artist/whoever would have been assigned several pages to illuminate, and it might not take very long, relatively speaking, to finish the book.

Quote:
And couldn't they have anticipated that some day people would want to scan that book to preserver it for eternity...
Yes, I think that Nostradamus had something to say about that in one of his prophecies. ha

Actually, I think developments like digitization were beyond even the best futurists of that time from being able to imagine. It wasn't until the early 1800's that the camera even was invented!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Really bad eyesight.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You know, that's neat and all, and I'll go check out the article, but I'd have thought that with even consumer-quality digital cameras, you'd have high enough quality, and the easy-to-use panorama and stitching software, to make this a somewhat trivial task.
Yeah, stitching software has become very good in the last few years. I've used one in connection with a cheap scanner, and I couldn't tell (an expert might) where one scan ended and the next one began.