Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
TPropes
TPropes began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet (Treo)
Moon+ Reader bookshelf view question

I recently was given an Android tablet for use mainly as an e-reader. (Previously used an iPad.). I love using bookshelf view and liked the customizable bookshelfs I could create using iBooks.

I like Moon+ Reader, but thought it had bookshelf views. I can not find this feature on the free version. Is it only a feature of Moon+ Reader Pro, or am I missing the option somewhere to change from list view to bookshelf view?

Also, if you have Moon+ Reader Pro (and it does indeed have bookshelf view), can you create multiple bookshelves (i.e. having a "Books I've Read" shelf or "Favorites" shelf)? Before I purchase Pro, I want to make sure it has the features I want.

I am pretty new to e-readers (and forums) so I appreciate your help!
T
TPropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No - the pro version does not have custom bookshelves or a favorites view.

It does have an Author view. If you put the word "Favorites" in place of the author or some key string, then click the ... in the upper right corner it will take you to a list grouped by authors. Click on the one you want and it shows you a cover view - title order but only for for the books with that author.

What most people do is use a special collection manager like Calibre on your PC/Mac then use this to push books in whatever order / type you want to your ereader.

This works because Calibre is not really a 'reader' but a 'manager' software so it has a lot of features like you want. Then you use Moon+ Reader to read, but not manage your collection.

This is a better way to go because eventually your collection of books & magazines and comics will no longer fit on your tablet. So it is a bad place to 'manage' things when it cannot hold everything.

The thing the Pro version got me was PDF support.

EDIT:

Ok - Moon+ Reader has gotten several updates and has made improvements.

I click the three ... in the upper right and one of the selection is "SHELF TYPE". I click it and the menu changes to "My Favorites", "My Downloads", "By Author", "By Tags", "Storage Folder", "Comic", "Fantasy", "SciFi".

So you can add tags in Moon+Reader to create custom bookshelves.

Also - long-press one of the covers and you can edit the book information. A check box lets you add a book to "Favorite". There is also a separate Tags: field and next to Favorite you can pre-define categories to give you the 3 different criteria.

Now - will the reader 'remember' my custom shelf? To flip back to the main screen with current books across the top and LOCAL FILES, NET LIBRARY, MY SHELF, STATISTICS. When I choose MY SHELF - I get everything.
But it is only 2 clicks to return to the SciFi shelf.

Last edited by FatDog; 05-22-2013 at 12:49 AM.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Aussie
Aussie began at the beginning.

Device: ACER Iconia A1-830
Well, I do not know if this thread is still alive but FatDog answer helped me a lot and now I can create several shelves each for a different genre or subject. Very handy. Thanks FatDog!

If, by any chance you read this (FatChance, sorry the pun), do you know how to mark several books at once to transfer them to a particular shelf? In Windows you hold the CRTL key and off you go clicking. How about in Moon Reader? I have a fat (sorry again) finger already and still more than 4000 books to go...

Cheers mate!

Last edited by Aussie; 08-16-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would strongly suggest that you look at Calibre Companion. This is a far, far better way to manage your library on an Android tablet than any system of bookshelves or folder. I use CC to manage my books, and Moon+ to read them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would strongly suggest that you look at Calibre Companion. This is a far, far better way to manage your library on an Android tablet than any system of bookshelves or folder. I use CC to manage my books, and Moon+ to read them.
Thanks for your reply HarryT though that wasn't actually my question. Unfortunately I am a newbie on these matters and so far, I have used CC to edit and convert books only. How do you actually do what you suggested?

I like to open Moon Reader and have the shelves displayed and the solution above appears to be good. How Calibre would help with that?

Appreciate your time mate!

Cheers!
Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Thanks for your reply HarryT though that wasn't actually my question. Unfortunately I am a newbie on these matters and so far, I have used CC to edit and convert books only. How do you actually do what you suggested?
Calibre Companion (FAQ) (android app) is not Calibre (Ebook Management program).

Calibre is used to organize your ebooks on your computer, Calibre Companion allows you to send the books from calibre to your android device and manage your books on your device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Calibre Companion (FAQ) (android app) is not Calibre (Ebook Management program).

Calibre is used to organize your ebooks on your computer, Calibre Companion allows you to send the books from calibre to your android device and manage your books on your device.
Awsome! living and learning. Thanks Dr., I did not know about this and am going to learn about it.

Cheers!