Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Mini getting Pocket?

So, I finally got my Aura HD update with Pocket, and am kind of excited about it. Will my Mini get Pocket too?
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Mini is near perfect now and does not need pocket. I think pocket would reduce battery life.
Should only get new features that would improve reading experience but not if new feature came with new problems.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Mini is near perfect now and does not need pocket. I think pocket would reduce battery life.
In what way would Pocket reduce battery life? If you use it, you might use an extra electron or two when syncing, but if you don't use it there is no way it would effect battery life.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Using Pocket will mean more WiFiI usage to get the articles. Hence more battery usage. Exactly how much extra usage will depend on usage.

As to Pocket on the Mini, I don't know. From stuff Kobo said early on, I expected all the current devices to receive Pocket. But, it seems like the Mini is being skipped.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I seldom use WIFI on my readers. Have used it to buy a few books and download free books from Kobo and other sources. Have accessed a few web sites, forums and checked email mainly to see how practical it is to a reader for normal web browsing. 99.9% of my use is reading they are very good for that and easy lookup of word definition makes it better than a book. Everything else is ok but is lipstick on a pig for my very basic reading use.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As to Pocket on the Mini, I don't know. From stuff Kobo said early on, I expected all the current devices to receive Pocket. But, it seems like the Mini is being skipped.
It would be a shame if it is left out in the cold because it would really add value to what is already a very portable reader.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I seldom use WIFI on my readers. Have used it to buy a few books and download free books from Kobo and other sources. Have accessed a few web sites, forums and checked email mainly to see how practical it is to a reader for normal web browsing. 99.9% of my use is reading they are very good for that and easy lookup of word definition makes it better than a book. Everything else is ok but is lipstick on a pig for my very basic reading use.
I had my wifi turned on for 10 days on the mini. I didn't notice a really significant battery drain. Using it for a couple of hours a day it still was over 60% when I disabled the wifi and it was not fully charged when I enabled the wifi.

Normally I don't have the wifi on, but not for power conservation reasons. My coffee maker and toaster both use more power daily and I still eat toast and drink coffee.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I had my wifi turned on for 10 days on the mini. I didn't notice a really significant battery drain. Using it for a couple of hours a day it still was over 60% when I disabled the wifi and it was not fully charged when I enabled the wifi.

Normally I don't have the wifi on, but not for power conservation reasons. My coffee maker and toaster both use more power daily and I still eat toast and drink coffee.

Helen
Ah but your toaster and coffee maker wont cut out on you when reach that critical place in the chapter that hints at whats to come when the power shuts down due to battery drain......
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Ah but your toaster and coffee maker wont cut out on you when reach that critical place in the chapter that hints at whats to come when the power shuts down due to battery drain......
Hmmm.... Good Toaster, Good coffeemaker, pat, pat, pat.

My Kobo mini did that once, when I probably didn't charge it for a month or so, but I had never enabled the Wifi at that time so it must have been some other source of battery drain. Go figure.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote