Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Storing books on SD cards

I think I am going to buy a Kobo Glo rather than a Kindle Paperwhite, mainly because my local (New Zealand) libraries say that I can't borrow their books with a Kindle (perhaps there are ways around that), but also because I like the idea of storing some of my documents on a removable micro SD card. I just want to check how this feature works:

If I load some books onto the SD card from my computer and then plug the SD card into the Glo, will those books stay on the external card, or will the Glo move them to internal storage?

If I download a book from a shop or by using the Glo's web browser, can I choose whether to store it on the external card or internal storage?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Anything stored on the SD card stays there; at least it does for me. As far as I know, anything downloaded on the device downloads to the internal memory.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Anything stored on the SD card stays there; at least it does for me. As far as I know, anything downloaded on the device downloads to the internal memory.
One of the updates in the 2.2.0/2.2.1 firmware is to allow using the SD card for Kobo system use when internal memory is filled. When I was playing with 2.2.0, the first time I inserted my SD card after the factory reset/firmware install, a directory named KoboExtStorage with subdirectories called dict and images was created on the SD card.

My personal preference has been to keep all my side-loaded books on a SD card simply to make it easier to back up the files and to move them to a different device. Now, I'm pretty much forced to use an SD card since I am using a bit more storage than the internal storage on the Kobo Touch/Glo units.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Thanks, as long as the books I put on the SD card stay there it should suit my needs. I guess I can transfer books from internal storage onto the card using my computer anyway.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
I wonder how much of a hit on battery life an microsd is, even if it`s not being written too, it still has to be powered up, so if you dont need the extra space use internal memory?

John.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Thanks, as long as the books I put on the SD card stay there it should suit my needs. I guess I can transfer books from internal storage onto the card using my computer anyway.
I did try to load a book into the directory named KoboExtStorage and by that I mean an epub not from the Kobo store. Sadley the book was ignored while it was residing in that directory. But it did get picked up when it was removed and placed into the main directory of the sd card.

I also keep all my books on the sd card as when updates occure and the occasional glitch happens and you have to restore to factory for what ever reason.... the books in the main memory of the reader get wiped.

Good luck

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 12-07-2012 at 07:52 AM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
.... the books in the main memory of the card get wiped.
Hmm, surely in the main memory of the device. BTW: it's always a good idea to remove a card before resetting the reader.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
Hmm, surely in the main memory of the device. BTW: it's always a good idea to remove a card before resetting the reader.

Removing the External card has no effect on reseting the device at any time.
You can remove it if you like but its a waste of time to do so.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Removing the External card has no effect on reseting the device at any time.
You can remove it if you like but its a waste of time to do so.
I've personally preferred to remove the SD card before resetting the device. This allows me to tweak the firmware, add in fonts and the Adobe activation file and do some testing. After all looks good, I insert the SD card and wait for the books on the SD card to be added back to the database.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote