Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
mr_mahermahey
mr_mahermahey began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sony 950
m92 frozen, how to reset?

my m92 is frozen, displaying a navigation screen and unresponsive to the power button, stylus or any of the buttons.

I've tried poking a paper clip into the reset hole but there doesn't seem to be anything there for it to connect with, it can go in over 5 inches.

Also tried opening it to remove the battery, by unscrewing the 2 screws but it doesn't simply open after that and I don't want to force it cluelessly.

Any ideas on how to get it to unfreeze?
mr_mahermahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I am not sure, if it is your case, but when battery goes down then it behaves like dead. Which is normal. There is something on the screen, because it does not need power to keep text displayed....

It would be good if Onyx just before it runs out of energy saved the data, quit the application and displayed "no-energy" screen. Or at least displayed the screen, so that user knows, that it is dead because the battery is empty....

It has happened to me twice. Just plugging it to battery charger for a while solved the situation. It reseted itself, or I had push the on/off button. I do not remember...

M92 seems to be stable. At least for things I do - mostly reading pdf and scribling in it. It never has frozen or reseted itself in past month. I use it few hour every day.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Mono; 02-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
mr_mahermahey

It was nearly fully charged when it froze, and plugging it in via usb <=> computer only triggers an orange light next to the micro-joystick.

Hope it takes *some* power to display text as my current best plan is to let the battery run out so it might reset, just have to wait a few weeks...

thanks for the suggestion though. Anyone know how to open the thing? or have experience with the reset hole, like how deep before it should be pressing something?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
When my M90 freezes, the only way to get it back up is to plug it in (with the wall adapter), hit the reset button, then hit the power button. Sometimes I have to do the reset and power button multiple times.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mahermahey View Post
Hope it takes *some* power to display text as my current best plan is to let the battery run out so it might reset, just have to wait a few weeks...
It takes no power to display text. It "prints" text and it stays there "forever", till erasing and printing something new... But it takes some power for scanning buttons, pen, etc.

Last edited by Mono; 02-12-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Mono
Mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mahermahey View Post
I've tried poking a paper clip into the reset hole but there doesn't seem to be anything there for it to connect with, it can go in over 5 inches.
Reset is not the hole between power button and ear-socket! It might be microphone...

The reset is on back side between CE and dustbin sign, say 2.5 cm (1 inch) from power button. It cliks and resets M92. The screen stays the same (doesn't change). After reset you have to push the power button and M92 should boot (switch on).
Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
mr_mahermahey

Thank goodness I showed a little restraint when shoving the paperclip in that mystery hole, and thank you for pointing me to the actual reset hole!

All functional again, no more mucking about with wifi for me, at least until I flash it.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
kartturi
kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Well,

I got a similar, frozen condition first time last night, when I tried to "listen to"
a *.rm type music file (well, the file type was shown just as a question mark (?) in the file listing, so I should have known better...), which, well, opened the Music application,
but then completely froze the device after that. (Neither was any sound output).

This morning, the device was still almost as frozen, except pressing the power button
caused the charging led to flash a few times with a magentaesque colour. (So there is SOME life...)
So I left it at home, in hope of draining the battery completely, and then starting
it again after that. (Standard procedure with my Archos Android tablet with its often crashing firmware.)

But the QUESTION: How extensive the reset in M92 is?
I mean, is it just a normal reboot, or will it also do
a "reset to factory settings", that is, formatting the Internal Flash
memory? (Where all my books currently are...)

Apart from this little hindrance, the device (Onyx Boox M92) is almost perfect for reading large books scanned as PDFs (whether as text or images only).
kartturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Mono
Mono

I tried reset just to find if it works. It just rebooted after pushing power button. It doesn't seem anything else has been reset (erased, set to factory, etc.) But I didn't check everything, so I just think nothing has chnaged...
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
mr_mahermahey

Yeah it looks like just a forced reboot, my settings tweaks are all still there, books are all still there.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
focus
focus began at the beginning.

Hardware problem?

I have Onyx boox M92 for just over 2 months now. I am very happy with it, but today it stopped working. There was not any apparent reason for that. It did not suffer any mechanical impact, get wet, updating firmware...
Yesterday it worked fine. Today I get only garbage on the screen. The led indicator works as it should, I can connect it to the computer and see all my content.
It looks like the screen is not working properly.
I tried reseting it using the reset button on the back, switching it on and off, charging it but nothing helped.

Is there something else that I may try or is it hardware problem?
focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus View Post
I have Onyx boox M92 for just over 2 months now. I am very happy with it, but today it stopped working. There was not any apparent reason for that. It did not suffer any mechanical impact, get wet, updating firmware...
Yesterday it worked fine. Today I get only garbage on the screen. The led indicator works as it should, I can connect it to the computer and see all my content.
It looks like the screen is not working properly.
I tried reseting it using the reset button on the back, switching it on and off, charging it but nothing helped.

Is there something else that I may try or is it hardware problem?
As I already mentioned in my answer to in your contact request, could you please send me (or upload here) a picture of the screen. Nobody can guess what happend before seeing the screen.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
focus
focus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
As I already mentioned in my answer to in your contact request, could you please send me (or upload here) a picture of the screen. Nobody can guess what happend before seeing the screen.
Ereader was left on standby over night. When I opened the cover next day the picture on the screen was normal. I tried to turn it on but the picture started blinking and eventually got lost. You can see the screen on the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/83dhu3o

It turns on and there is some change on the screen when I press buttons, but nothing recognizable.
focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Ereader was left on standby over night. When I opened the cover next day the picture on the screen was normal. I tried to turn it on but the picture started blinking and eventually got lost. You can see the screen on the following link:

It turns on and there is some change on the screen when I press buttons, but nothing recognizable.

This looks like a clear case for replacement to me.
Maybe there is a trick.
I have just gone through the Onyx thread and noticed that there seems to be a freezing problem with the M92 . Either dies complety or in a funny way or requires fiddling around with several buttons at once to get it started again in several cases.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:

At first glance it looks like mechanical damage of the screen in the lower left corner. I've forwarded your picture to the onyx experts . In any case you schould send your M92 back to our service center for inspection and screen replacement. If it is a mechanical damage, then thereplacement of the screen is not under warranty and must be paid. If there is not any mechanical damages on the device, then repairing will be covered by the warranty.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m92