Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Does It Ever Get Old or Commonplace?

I'm thinking mainly of those of you who live in Europe. My daughter and I were talking about what it would be like to live in Europe and be so close to all of the surrounding countries, and how easy it would be to visit one country or the next. My daughter then asked... and I am paraphrasing "I wonder if they ever just get used to seeing the Eiffel Tower (as an example), thinking oh yeah, I see it everyday on the way to work... just sort of fades into the background..." or do these architectural and cultural monuments still give you pause and awe every time you see them?

We live in the middle of the US, midwest, rural Illinois and haven't had the opportunity to travel anywhere spectacular. When my daughter asked, I thought to myself, I know just who to ask! (That'd be you!)

Anyone care to share their experiences?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I have to say that I'm not lucky enough to live very close to major architectural or cultural monuments, although we do visit Shakespeare's birthplace, Stratford, quite often. We do enjoy being able to visit some European places more readily than people from the USA might be able to; such as Rome, which is amazing; Paris, ditto; and Prague, again, a tremendous place.

However, the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read this was; "What about all the amazing places in the USA?". We have visited Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and driven up the Pacific coast from LA to San Francisco. My question would be; do people in the US get used to these sights?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I did 8 years in Germany, 2 times 4 years each. it never got old for me. of course, I have a really well developed sense of adventure, and unlike many of my peers that were known as "barracks rats", I was always off and exploring. I made full use of 3 and 4 day passes as well as my leave time. it was always incredible to me to walk down halls and roads that had seen use for many hundreds of years. doing things like going to a renaissance faire in an old ruined castle, eating and drinking in rebuilt palaces, attending a class on the Nuerenburg trials, and actually sitting in the courtroom IN the defendants box and listening to people who had been at the trials, and even watching films of where you were sitting!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Visiting the States for me is just the same as visiting Europe must be for Americans. It's so huge, so diverse, I just have to look at a map to get dewy-eyed with all the evocative place names - it all seem so exciting. I lived in London for four year and Oxford for three years - the dirtiness of London got to me after the first month and the there is one of the biggest council estates in Europe, (a council estate is social housing), just to the south of the city centre of Oxford.

The grass is always greener I guess.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I have to say that I'm not lucky enough to live very close to major architectural or cultural monuments, although we do visit Shakespeare's birthplace, Stratford, quite often. We do enjoy being able to visit some European places more readily than people from the USA might be able to; such as Rome, which is amazing; Paris, ditto; and Prague, again, a tremendous place.

However, the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read this was; "What about all the amazing places in the USA?". We have visited Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and driven up the Pacific coast from LA to San Francisco. My question would be; do people in the US get used to these sights?
I can't imagine ever getting used to seeing any of those places either, none of which we've ever been to. So I can't address what it would be like living near any of those wonderful places either. So, I guess this question could be applied to anyone fortunate to live in close proximity to places others of us only dream of visiting, all around the world.

But my daughter specifically mentioned the Eiffel Tower in our conversation.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
As an American service member, I got to travel extensively throughout Europe and Asia. Great times and I never got enough. I always wanted more. I grew up wanting to go to Europe - it was the neatest thing being able to satisfy that dream.

But - I got an epiphany when I was stationed in Las Vegas, Nevada. I had gone on a tour of Hoover Dam ('cause it was there...) and while I was there, I saw all the foreign visitors from all over the world - all there to see the Hoover Dam (and probably see Las Vegas ... and maybe even the Grand Canyon if they could/had time).

It hit me - people wanted to come tour MY country with the same passion I had to go see theirs! How cool is that? I never really thought of my country as a place to travel and see - I always wanted to go elsewhere.

Long story short: Yeah, the grass is greener and ain't it neat that air travel lets us go see all this stuff?!

Oh, yeah, and you do get blasé. I live 60 minutes away from Niagara Falls and I've been there only about 5 times in my 48 years. It's just, well, there...

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I get used to seeing the beach, but sometimes it can still take my breath away during a particularly spectacular sunset.....

Does that count?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I never tire of seeing the Fremont Troll or the statue of Lenin. but the Space Needle... yawn..
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I get used to seeing the beach, but sometimes it can still take my breath away during a particularly spectacular sunset.....

Does that count?
For me, not living near the sea, it is something I am actually craving often - walking along the beach, watching the waves, smelling the ocean air, enjoying the visual freedom of an unlimited, uncluttered horizon. And whenever I am at the seaside during vacation, I imagine how it would be to live there ... going to the beach at least every other day, and if it is only for a short time after work.

But most likely, living there full time, I would get used to it too, just like you say, and spend my free time doing other things instead.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I have lived in the suburbs of the greatest city in the world all my life and have had the priviledge to work in and to explore it for most of said life.
The Big Apple.
The City that never sleeps.
New York.
We have the landmarks famous throughout the world.
We have the new and the old living in a chaotic harmony that must be witnessed to be appreciated.
At street level, you see all the shiny and new, wraparound glass, trendy names and bright lights of the new City.
One must look up.
Witness the architecture, the rich history. Gargoyles lurk here. Enigmatic faces carved into stone. The towering concrete canyons.
I have seen monuments born.
Stood deep below street level and looked up into the skeleton of what was to be the Twin Towers.
I have seen the lights of the City from the roof of Tower 1.
The Statue of Liberty.
The Museum of Natural History.
Central Park by day and by night.
The Empire State Building.
The Flatiron Building.
South Street Seaport.
Times Square.
Ellis Island.
Grand Central Station.
The Apollo Theater.
Rockefeller Center
Restaurant Row.
Broadway.
The USS Intrepid.
Lincoln Center.
And all the things tourists never get to see.
The Botanical Gardens.
Coney Island.
The New York Aquarium.
The Bronx Zoo.
And so much more.
I don't travel the world because I live in the City the world travels to see.
Everything is here.
And it will never grow old.

Last edited by recluse; 10-29-2010 at 12:53 AM.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
We don't have any world famous architectural or cultural monuments here, but there are some that are very important of famous in this area. And every time I see those buildings, I'm in awe. One of those is the trainstation, which I passed by every single day and still my jaw drops when I'm in the main hallway... (especially after the renovation!)

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand..._Groningen.JPG
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
My train arrives in the middle of an ancient town, not as pretty as Rome but still quite charming, and i find it nice to see what I see, even if is all my life that I have seen this. The same happens to me when i visit the beautiful places I have been to. All over the place. My preferred? Who knows. NY is gorgeous. And so is Trondheim. Amsterdam? a dream. Paris? just thinking of it my eyes fill with tears. Apparently I am capable of being very happy everywhere. Even in Rapid City, S.D. I was so happy there ...
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Visiting architectural and cultural monuments in Europe doesn't get old. But the question is would you still be doing it as much if you actually lived in Europe?

Living in Switzerland which is in central Europe, bordered by France to the west, Germany to the north, Austria to the east (as well as the tiny country of Liechtenstein) and Italy to the south, I have the rare privilege to be able to travel to many different places and countries by car within only a couple of hours. The problem is that, although I _could_ do this, I usually don't, due to laziness, cost of travel, and lack of time.

While distances in the States are much vaster, your country still offers a kind of diversity that you might expect from Europe or other places in the world. That's at least my experience from travelling through the US. While most of you speak the same language, it's still very much different whether you go to Florida or to Minnesota. Architectural in Chicago differs from San Fransisco. Etc. Flights are generally much cheaper in the US, which somewhat makes up for the distances. Also hotels are cheaper - if you ever tried to book a decent hotel in Paris, you know what I mean.

For me personally, it's more about diversity than about how old a building is. That said, I could imagine myself just as much enjoying it in the US as in Europe; whether it's the Eiffel tower or the Empire State Building.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Interesting question, Reb. But there'll be a different answer from anyone you ask.

I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and I never took the city and its sites for granted. Then I moved to England, and even though the family re-located to Wigan, at the heart of industrial Lancashire, the same was true of the terraced rows, coal mines, slag heaps and the famous dark, satanic mills and murky canals.

I eventually broke into Fleet Street in London -- then the world hub of major newspapers -- and I travelled all over the world as a foreign correspondent (I was a newspaperman until ten years ago) and lived for long periods in Rome, Munich, Dublin, London again, Paris, New York, etc.

And, again the same was true wherever I was. Every day the city or town was new, every day was a thrill, every day was about discovery and seeing familiar sights from different angles. And the nights were pretty good, too.

For the past twenty-five years, I've lived in the wee French Mediterranean coastal town of Menton (great pictures if you want to Google it up), sandwiched between the Principality of Monaco and the Italian frontier ... and a ten minute drive in either direction takes me into two different countries with mind-boggling differences, one with a different language. And even a visit to the streets of my own town is still an adventure after all this time.

I guess some folks were just made to be ex-pats, and sometimes even those who, like me, still appreciate the beauty and charm of what was once 'home'. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I'm thinking mainly of those of you who live in Europe. My daughter and I were talking about what it would be like to live in Europe and be so close to all of the surrounding countries, and how easy it would be to visit one country or the next. My daughter then asked... and I am paraphrasing "I wonder if they ever just get used to seeing the Eiffel Tower (as an example), thinking oh yeah, I see it everyday on the way to work... just sort of fades into the background..." or do these architectural and cultural monuments still give you pause and awe every time you see them?
Being born in a town with a mostly industrial background (beginning of the last century, leather- and textile industry, everything gone now) surrounded by agricultural landscape, I consider myself lucky having been washed up where I am now.

When I leave my office in the old part of the town I'm in it's only a few minutes on foot to the majestic old brick churches (cathedral sized) from the middle ages whose belltowers can be seen from miles away. Other buildings dating back to the middle ages and later times are there to marvel at too and the vast majority of them have been restored to look really fine during the last twenty years. And it's just a few minutes down to the habourfront too ...

Looking up to the old clock on one of the churchtowers while passing over the market place gives me a wider sense of time and history every day.

I just plain love it and never grow tired of it and I don't think I ever will.

(Even if one of those tourist-buses blocks the driveway to my parking lot temporarily again ... )

Last edited by beachwanderer; 10-29-2010 at 05:49 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote