Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #15571
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm listening to episode #13 of Burns and Allen and I just heard Mel Blanc as the postman.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #15572
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Now for The Runner by WJ Davies also set in the Silo universe and endorsed by HH. Hopefully it can capture some of the same emotions that Hugh is able to bring out.
Not quite the level of Hugh's work, but it was good.

Now onto something completely different. Probably. I really don't know what I am going to read next. I will decide tomorrow.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #15573
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The movie is quite good. If you've not seen it, do so.
Oh yes, the original, not the remake, is excellent. I caught it late one night on cable a while back which pushed me to pick the book back up again.

This might be one of those rare instances where the movie really is better than the book.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #15574
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm reading that in parallel to another book. Only one chapter in and what I've noticed is that the writing itself isn't that marvellous. The story looks like it might be OK though.
Can you recommend a good ebook edition of it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #15575
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kindle edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle edition is only $2.99 here in the US.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #15576
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Doesn't seem to be available in the UK, unfortunately.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #15577
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm not very good with UK ebooks. I'm blocked from buying ebooks from Amazon UK because of my location and I've never really looked in other major UK outlets for ebooks.

I'm actually much better at answering those sorts of questions for someone in the US - odd though that might seem.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #15578
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm not very good with UK ebooks. I'm blocked from buying ebooks from Amazon UK because of my location and I've never really looked in other major UK outlets for ebooks.

I'm actually much better at answering those sorts of questions for someone in the US - odd though that might seem.
I was just wondering if you'd recommend the version you're reading and, if so, what it was, so I could see if it was available in the UK. I've hadn't read any of Neville Shute's work, and this seems like a good one to start with.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #15579
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah sorry - obviously that's what you wanted, and you're probably asking me because as long as I bought my copy as an Australian (rather than as an American - which I sometimes do), then it's probably the same one that would be available to you in the UK.

I bought the Vintage edition published in 2009. I could have just borrowed the same edition in paperback from my local library for nothing, but I was being supremely lazy - which is one of the reasons I definitely will borrow the paperback for Lolita. My credit card has become grumpy.

I can be a little less fussy about formatting, especially as the book has already gone through one Calibre conversion when I liberated it from Play, but in my PW it has a working table of contents, the formatting looks OK and I can't recall hideous scanning errors.

Of course, you do a great deal of proof-reading, so maybe my OK is your terrible, but it seems quite good to me.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #15580
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you very much - I'll see if it's available for me.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #15581
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Thank you very much - I'll see if it's available for me.
Prepare yourself for mammoth-sized chapters. Shute didn't believe in providing frequent rest stops. Be sure and go before you leave the house.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #15582
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Prepare yourself for mammoth-sized chapters. Shute didn't believe in providing frequent rest stops. Be sure and go before you leave the house.
It's not just me then.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #15583
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I finally completed my 3rd book of the year, the MobileRead Book Club selection for February [Romance]: A Town Like Alice. Once again I was pleasantly surprised by a war time (during & after) story that I wasn't sure I would like.

Up Next:

Attempt #2 of Shadow Blade (Shadowchasers #1) and
Book #2 The Guns of Avalon (Amber: The Corwin Cycle).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #15584
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I finally completed my 3rd book of the year, the MobileRead Book Club selection for February [Romance]: A Town Like Alice. Once again I was pleasantly surprised by a war time (during & after) story that I wasn't sure I would like.

So you're a reading machine again then?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #15585
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

So you're a reading machine again then?

Not quite, but I'm working on it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote