Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
The Big Deal is back!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000705681

Anyone got any recommendations??
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I bought "I am Legend". Anything that's inspired three different speculative fiction movies over a 50 year span has got to be worth checking out. It's on sale for $2.99
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Legacy by Susan Kay is an excellent historical about Queen Elizabeth I of England and one I've wanted to own for years (it was severely out of print for some time and the library got rid of their old copy). I just bought it during the St. Patrick's Day sale @ OmniLit/All Romance eBooks. NB: nostalgia may be blurring my recollection of how good it is, so sampling is advised.

If you like quasi-Mists of Avalon-esque Arthurian fantasy, Merlin's Harp by Anne Elliot Crompton is not bad for the price. It was a former freebie in 2010, so I'd check the archives, but my impressions of it are here if you don't already have it and the premise sounds interesting.

Also in the same subgenre, Persia Woolley's Child of the Northern Spring is supposed to be a good Arthurian fantasy centred around Guinevere (and another former freebie) but I haven't gotten around to reading it. But at 99 cents it's a definite bargain if you like the sample.

All of these are on month-long promo sale from publisher Sourcebooks and should be the same prices in other stores if people want to get them there.

If you are looking to try the Iliad, the Richard Lattimore translation is said to be a good one (haven't read it myself) and is fairly cheap at $1.99.

And the $2.99 Kurt Vonnegut and Aldous Huxley books are sfnal classics if you like speculative fiction. Rosetta Books are sometimes offered at the same prices elsewhere (and they're discountable with Kobo coupons, so may work out cheaper that way for non-Kindlers). Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, also out from Rosetta and recommended upthread is also very good. I have a French translation somewhere which I really ought to get around to reading and comparing at some point.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys

is it just me, or are most cozy mystery plots run along the same lines? ox o sure wish there was a gay version of that...

i was also hoping for some travel memoirs as summer is the perfect time to read those ... ;p

Last edited by wyndslash; 03-19-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
is it just me, or are most cozy mystery plots run along the same lines? ox o sure wish there was a gay version of that...
You need to start shopping at Fictionwise. They're practically a minor staple there in the new releases, in between all the m/m shapeshifter/mate stuff.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wink Well ......

Quote:
thanks guys .........are most cozy mystery plots run along the same lines? ox o sure wish there was a gay version of that... ....
That might perhaps be just a little too cosy for the more traditional reader .........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks - picked up all the Kurt Vonnegut offerings except Slaughterhouse Five which I already owned.

I am Legend is unfortunately not available for Australians.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
androm
androm began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd recommend "The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted".
androm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I bought "I am Legend". Anything that's inspired three different speculative fiction movies over a 50 year span has got to be worth checking out. It's on sale for $2.99
good call, i bought it too!
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
You need to start shopping at Fictionwise. They're practically a minor staple there in the new releases, in between all the m/m shapeshifter/mate stuff.
ah, my money's tied with amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
That might perhaps be just a little too cosy for the more traditional reader .........
aww, I bet it'd be cute the one I can think of is about the gay vampire detective. forgot the name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thanks - picked up all the Kurt Vonnegut offerings except Slaughterhouse Five which I already owned.
i'm still reluctant to get the Kurt Vonnegut stuff; might just borrow from the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by androm View Post
I'd recommend "The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted".
thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Cat's Cradle is one of my favourite Vonnegut's and I ejoyed Welcome to the Monkeyhouse as well. I think I am Legend is the only book that is really tempting me here. I'm sort of tempted by Brave New World which I put on my reading list for this year, but I think it's a library option.

@wyndslash. Outside of the big deal, there's always the 100 a month sale. I've been able to find a few titles from it over the last half year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
Staked
This space for rent
Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Touch
It was slim pickings in the SF/F collection, but the Samantha Moon collection by J.R. Rain is well worth picking up for $0.99.
Staked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staked View Post
It was slim pickings in the SF/F collection, but the Samantha Moon collection by J.R. Rain is well worth picking up for $0.99.
I was wondering about them. Not my normal, but for 25 cents a book, can't really go wrong. Karma for you!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
More than just three: what is now a horror film staple, the "Romero Zombie," was inspired by I am Legend.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I am Legend was definitely a good read, a bit slow, but still good...enjoyed it better than the movie which I saw first.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote