Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #241
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
With purchase of an Echo or Dot at Amazon, you can add a TP-Link smart plug for only $5.

That decided me to buy a second Dot--the smart plug otherwise is $27.30, and I wanted to try one, so for me it's like I'm getting the second Dot for $8.
Thanks for mentioning this. The Dot being on sale for $30 plus this $5 deal for the plug got me to finally buy one.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #242
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
I just purchased a SanDisk MP3 player from Best Buy without any problems, so apparently the issues of yesterday have been corrected.
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #243
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Is anyone planning on going out in the morning to brave the crowds? I gave that up several years ago. Now it's strictly online for me.
I ordered one of the Maven phones, SD card and a Bluetooth speaker for pickup. The phone was only available for pickup. I'm trying hard to gather courage enough to go pick them up.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #244
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I ordered one of the Maven phones, SD card and a Bluetooth speaker for pickup. The phone was only available for pickup. I'm trying hard to gather courage enough to go pick them up.
I have until Tuesday to get mine. I'll wait until then. No way am I fighting crowds this weekend.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #245
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Is anyone planning on going out in the morning to brave the crowds? I gave that up several years ago. Now it's strictly online for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I drove by the malls last night on my way home from Thanksgiving and I was appalled; the parking lots were at capacity. Way to ruin what used to be a nice holiday. And I blame the shoppers more than the retailers; if people stayed home, the stores would stay closed. There's no reason why all that commerce couldn't start at a reasonable hour today instead of taking over a holiday.

And it used to be one of the rare holidays that retail workers could spend at home with their families. I can understand keeping stores that sell essentials open for at least limited hours (food, drugs) but we don't really have to be buying things like clothes and electronics every day of the year.

There is nothing I need or want badly enough to go to the stores on Black Friday.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #246
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acataloger View Post
I just purchased a SanDisk MP3 player from Best Buy without any problems, so apparently the issues of yesterday have been corrected.
Which one did you get? We have a thread in the Audiobook Hardware forum for the Sansa Clips:

Sansa Clip Comparison
Old 11-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #247
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
My hubby went to Best Buy this morning at a little after 8:00 am and there was only one other person in line for pick up. He was going to get a haircut but the place didn't open until 9:00, so he had nothing better to do while waiting.

You could try going Sunday night an hour before the store closes. I did that a few years ago and it wasn't very busy. I can't remember what store it was though.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #248
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
Tubemonkey : I read through a lot of posts from Silverraven and Catlady about all the tweaking and workarounds they have done on their devices. I definitely am not a tinkerer, so I bought the SanDisk Clip Sport Plus. In plain English in the specs : works for Audible. I have a Kia Soul with Bluetooth in the audio system, so I am hoping to use the SanDisk there. I'm going to be visiting a friend whose daughter helped her set up a cell phone in her car, so help is available.
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #249
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
My hubby went to Best Buy this morning at a little after 8:00 am and there was only one other person in line for pick up. He was going to get a haircut but the place didn't open until 9:00, so he had nothing better to do while waiting.

You could try going Sunday night an hour before the store closes. I did that a few years ago and it wasn't very busy. I can't remember what store it was though.
I just noticed two boxes of Sketchers. Hubby also went into the mall. He said the mall was crowded, but the Sketchers store wasn't.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #250
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
So far I haven't seen things on sale that I would want at any price. Maybe it's just me!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #251
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
So far I haven't seen things on sale that I would want at any price. Maybe it's just me!
I ordered the $8 phone. It's mine IF I pick it up. That's it for hardware.

My best deal was an audiobook deal at eStories - $0.99/mo x 3 months.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #252
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Monkey, I found the SD cards I wanted on sale at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZIENBA/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #253
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
I have until Tuesday to get mine. I'll wait until then. No way am I fighting crowds this weekend.
It wasn't too bad at the store. The parking lot was nearly full, but no line at the pickup counter.

The Maven 3 is OK, out of the box there's about 3 gig memory free. After installing my apps there's about 1 gig still free. It wouldn't recognize a 64 gig SD, but 32 is fine.
The screen is meh, but about what I was expecting given the low resolution.

I'm more impressed with the $10 Bluetooth speaker. Good enough for background music or streaming video with a tablet.

Last edited by Alohamora; 11-24-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:27 AM   #254
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Monkey, I found the SD cards I wanted on sale at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZIENBA/
Great! I was going to get a 128GB card but then decided against it. I did notice that Amazon is selling 400GB cards. Soon enough, cards will be in the TB range!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:55 AM   #255
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It wasn't too bad at the store. The parking lot was nearly full, but no line at the pickup counter.

The Maven 3 is OK, out of the box there's about 3 gig memory free. After installing my apps there's about 1 gig still free. It wouldn't recognize a 64 gig SD, but 32 is fine.
The screen is meh, but about what I was expecting given the low resolution.

I'm more impressed with the $10 Bluetooth speaker. Good enough for background music or streaming video with a tablet.
I'm not expecting much from this phone. At no time will I ever register it. For my uses, it's an audio player; so the display is irrelevant to me. It'll be kept in the car with these apps -- Audible, OverDrive, Hoopla, Spotify, TuneIn, and possibly a few others. Then I can download content for offline listening. I also plan to use a 32GB card loaded with music, short audiobooks, and OTR episodes.