Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #31351
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A746, Entourage Pocket eDGe, HP Slate 7 4200en
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
In the end, after several hours of searching, I found some Windows Powershell commands online that restored the Mail icon to my start menu. Nicely done. Microsoft...
Curious. I have both the Creator's Update and the Fall Creator's Update installed here, and neither caused problems. (The Creator's Update fixed some problems, like Edge being non-functional.)

I don't use Mail, and seldom use Store (the last time it was seeing what extensions are available for Edge), so losing them on the Taskbar wouldn't have been a killer.

The problem faced by MS is that when you have hundreds of millions of Windows installations out there, it doesn't matter how carefully you test - somebody will get bitten by an oddity in an update, and be unhappy.

I had nagging problems with Win10 on my failed desktop that went away on the current one. The underlying issues proved to be inadequate hardware. Win10 would install on it, but have problems in use. Like, the quad core Xeon CPU in the failed machine was not on the supported list, and Win10 could only see/use two of the four cores. The i5-2400 in the current box is supported, and all four cores are seen/used.

I'm actually happy with Win10 Pro here. It's fast and stable. The biggest win was discovering how to clear and reuse the SSD I used as boot drive in the failed desktop, so it could be repurposed and serve the same function. (Of course, the tool to do it turned out to be one I already had, but hadn't looked at closely enough, and I wasted a fair amount of time searching for something I already had... )
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #31352
orlok
Revision cycle 1
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Curious. I have both the Creator's Update and the Fall Creator's Update installed here, and neither caused problems. (The Creator's Update fixed some problems, like Edge being non-functional.)
Like you, I rarely use Store and it's absence isn't an issue, but I do use Mail which is actually pretty good these days.

Apparently there are large numbers of people affected, so it's a bit surprising MS didn't pick up on this one before. It's uncertain what is causing it, and some people who have updated two machines have had one work and the other not. My update did fail first time round, then went through on the second try. Might be related?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #31353
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Like you, I rarely use Store and it's absence isn't an issue, but I do use Mail which is actually pretty good these days.
I'll accept your word that Mail is actually decent now. I've used Gmail as my primary email address for years and have no reason to care.

Quote:
Apparently there are large numbers of people affected, so it's a bit surprising MS didn't pick up on this one before. It's uncertain what is causing it, and some people who have updated two machines have had one work and the other not. My update did fail first time round, then went through on the second try. Might be related?
Possible. I don't have enough information to even hazard a guess. (And in the context of the number of Win10 installations out there, "large numbers of people" might equate to "a drop in the bucket".)

A friend just upgraded a laptop from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. MS's free upgrade offer is long since over, but if you downloaded the upgrade media when it was active, it still works. I was able to supply him with the Win10 Pro upgrade media (and a warning that it would take quite some time.) It worked, but did take a long time. (He went to bed and it was done when he awakened.) His next step is migrating the Win10 installation to SSD.

He also tried just the Accessibility update on another machine, but that install never completed. It just hung at 84% complete. (He has a visually impaired client who could use that stuff, and was installing to look it over.) He suspects a full Win10 Upgrade will actually work, but hasn't gotten to it yet.
______
Dennis
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #31354
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The ones I still really miss are "It's All Text", which could open what you were typing into a text box on a site in the editor of your choice, and when you saved the editor content, it got input to the text box, and Dict, which would let you look up a highlighted word in a Dict server and return a definition.
And Lo! There is an "It's All Text" replacement that works in FF 57. withExEditor appears to provide the needed functionality.

Unfortunately, setting it up is non-trivial. The way Firefox 57 works, there needs to be a local host that will run the editor, and communicate with the site you are trying to use it on. Getting the local host requires installing and configuring node.js, then installing and configuring withExEditor to tell it the browser you use and the editor you want it to invoke. (In my case, the editor is Notepad2-mod, which is configured to replace Windows Notepad.)

Once configured, it appears to cover the bases. I did have to modify my configuration, to tell it to include the file name to be edited on the editor command line, and I think that setting ought to be the default.

But it appears to work as desired. (And this reply was composed in it. Ctrl-Shift-u invokes the editor. and away I go.)

Now, if someone will just craft a replacement for Dict...
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; Yesterday at 06:19 PM.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness