Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Lightbulb Tweak the reading app settings to suit

FWIW, I have always set my color reading devices (PC's, Tablets, phones) to night mode with white-to-lightgrey text on black background with backlighting set low (there was a very ugly spell there when the Android Nook version recently had this "great" idea that night mode meant a grey background, not black, but B&N eventually caved in to user backlash against that notion, and now it is "black" again - as much as this type of backlit LCD screen can achieve black, which is a lot better than that grey experiment).

I use FBreader a lot, too, with that setting as it is less resource intensive, and a bit cleaner interface to my thinking, but I have to remove the DRM for that, and sometimes that is too much bother since I have to use the decrypting tools on Windoze instead of my preferred Linux PC's - annoying to crank up the Win VirtualBox, or even boot a physical PC to Windows just for that ...

There are a lot of alternative reader apps to choose from Google's Play store now that it is accessible even with the stock Nook OS - see what works for you.

Anyway, I can read comfortably for hours that way, but everyone reacts differently. It also helps to set the font large enough to avoid any kind of squinting effort (as long as that is within "reasonable" density, and not only a few words per screen of course ).
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Did the OP finally get the HD+. I fine that it is a great device to read on as many others have said here. The only downside is that it is heavy. But when I am in my easy chair, I can rest it comfortably on a pillow and for a very long time.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Roseweave
Enthusiast
Roseweave began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Nook HD
I got the regular HD and I find the reading experience pretty decent. It's hard getting used to the LCD over the eInk but it has it's advantages. I think a lot of it is to do with the light level, and getting it right, but I had that problem with the eInk reader too it's just been a while since I've used it. I tried out the Kindle Fire that's a similar size to the HD+ and I prefer the smaller one.

I'm happy with the HD, it's a really good size to bring around with me.
Roseweave is offline   Reply With Quote