Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-05-2024, 05:46 PM   #1
jwes
Enthusiast
jwes began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do you put a line break in a clip?

One of my most common edits is splitting a paragraph into two, so I so I made a clip:
</p>
<p class="bodytext">

I prefer my paragraphs to start on a new line in the xhtml code. When I pasted the above clip into the clips editor, it replaced the line break with a space. When I put a \n into the clip editor, it pasted a literal \n into the code window. How do I get the <p to start on a new line in the xhtml code from a clip?
jwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:59 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not sure you can. I don't worry about any kind of line breaks or indenting when using clips, or even general regex find and replace. That's what Prettify is for.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2024, 06:49 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could try copying from something that has the line break and pasting it into the clips editor. Even if you can't see it, it might work.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Pretty will beautify that code (blank line between)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:54 AM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You could try copying from something that has the line break and pasting it into the clips editor. Even if you can't see it, it might work.
It does work (at least on Mac). This is what I've always done — copy my clip (with line breaks) and pasting in to the clips editor.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2024, 08:03 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
It does work (at least on Mac). This is what I've always done — copy my clip (with line breaks) and pasting in to the clips editor.
I kind of figured that would be the case. Thanks for confirming. I'll double-check on Windows and Linux when I get a chance, but I would expect the same behavior.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:35 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
That works on Windows as well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:28 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I think what the OP might be seeing is the different behaviors between an insert point and a range.

If you just click somewhere in the code window it creates an insert point. When you try to insert a clip with a \n then it inserts a literal '\n'.

If you highlight a range in code view it will insert the actual line breaks.

Not sure if that is a 'bug', but I've lived with it for years and thought it was intended behavior.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote