Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
As of 10 minutes ago, nookcolor.com redirects to a 404 page at bn.com

Last edited by cypresstwist; 10-22-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: stuff
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Two reasons why Kindle 3 is better than Nook:

1- battery life
2- black body
Just my personal experience:
I've got Kindle 2, Kindle DX, Kindle 3 and Kindle DX Graphite. And nook.
Kindle 3, for whatever reason, by far has the shortest battery life. I didn't use 3G on my older Kindles (both US versions), so this might be an explanation. On the other hand, DX Graphite "lasts forever".
And my nook simply is my benchmark unit re. battery life. Especially in standby. It's the only one, I let in standby even for weeks.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
And Amazon ups the ante. They announced today:
"later this year, we will be introducing lending for Kindle, a new feature that lets you loan your Kindle books to other Kindle device or Kindle app users. Each book can be lent once for a loan period of 14-days and the lender cannot read the book during the loan period. Additionally, not all e-books will be lendable - this is solely up to the publisher or rights holder, who determines which titles are enabled for lending. "
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic View Post
And Amazon ups the ante. They announced today:
"later this year, we will be introducing lending for Kindle, a new feature that lets you loan your Kindle books to other Kindle device or Kindle app users. Each book can be lent once for a loan period of 14-days and the lender cannot read the book during the loan period. Additionally, not all e-books will be lendable - this is solely up to the publisher or rights holder, who determines which titles are enabled for lending. "

Up the ante? Are you kidding me? This is a feature the Nook has had since the beginning.

that's like Apple "announcing" you can put your apps into Folders. Woo Hoo, you've been able to do that on Android since day one. ONe of the reason I jumped ship off of the iPhone.

Also wasn't it all you Kindlbots who ridiculed the Nook for the restrictions put on the Lend Me feature.

give me a break.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:

1- battery life
2- black body
I for one will pitch in the 20 bucks for a black skin.

There is no help for battery life in the near future. At least you will still have something to complain about.

Why not buy the kindle and convert the epub books you want to buy or borrow. This way you get everything you want with only a little extra effort on your part.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:

1- battery life
2- black body
Battery life won't improve as long as they have the LCD screen. They might eek a little more out of it, but it won't match the Kindle.

Black body - I'm surprised this is an issue with so many. I had a dark matte skin on mine and took it off. I like the white. Having both options would definitely help the product though.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke66 View Post
I for one will pitch in the 20 bucks for a black skin.

There is no help for battery life in the near future. At least you will still have something to complain about.

Why not buy the kindle and convert the epub books you want to buy or borrow. This way you get everything you want with only a little extra effort on your part.
If I don't get a Nook, I most certainly won't get a Kindle. It can do library books. I'll either get a Kobo or an old Sony.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Black body - I'm surprised this is an issue with so many. I had a dark matte skin on mine and took it off. I like the white. Having both options would definitely help the product though.
It is for me. A white/silver bezel is distracting and bothers my eyes.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
cypres@mugika:~$ whois nookcolor.com

Domain Name.......... nookcolor.com
Creation Date........ 2010-03-09
Registration Date.... 2010-03-09
Expiry Date.......... 2011-03-09
Organisation Name.... barnesandnoble.com llc
Organisation Address. 76th Ninth Avenue, 9th Floor
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. New York
Organisation Address. 10011
Organisation Address. NY
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES
Wow! Good eye!
I have Tuesday marked on my calendar. I bought a Sony instead of a Nook, and I haven't been sorry, but... this is exciting!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #25
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
As of today, most of the sites are assuming a nook color version at $250 with 7" screen.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #26
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
It is for me. A white/silver bezel is distracting and bothers my eyes.
Why? When I read with it, it's just like the margins of a regular book. Doesn't bother me at all. A regular book has white margins, how is the Nook so much different for you?
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlrsChick View Post
Why? When I read with it, it's just like the margins of a regular book. Doesn't bother me at all. A regular book has white margins, how is the Nook so much different for you?
Books I read don't have margins as wide as the Nook's bezel.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #28
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Yeah, I just don't get the bezel thing. I focus on what I'm reading and not the border. It could be white, black or neon and I wouldn't have problems reading on the thing.

I've shopped and shopped and there simply isn't a better ebook reader than the nook. Battery life is a weakness, but I don't consider charging every 4 days a major issue and the sorting could be better, but even with a few hundred books I can get to my next book quickly enough to not even bother hacking it.

The nooks weaknesses are just so minor when you compare its strengths.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
Yeah, I just don't get the bezel thing. I focus on what I'm reading and not the border. It could be white, black or neon and I wouldn't have problems reading on the thing.
What works for you doesn't automatically work for the rest of the world.

To each his own.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #30
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Books I read don't have margins as wide as the Nook's bezel.
Dime novels?

The bezel is less than 2cm (approx. 1,7cm) wide. I've never seen a book (except for encyclopedia etc.) with narrower margins.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote