Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Question Nook Touch Jumping Back Pages?

This is a problem I have encountered several times on my Nook Touch. I'll be reading along just fine, and suddenly, usually at the end of a chapter, I turn the page, only to have it go BACK several chapters. In the book I'm currently reading, I'll be on page 144, end of a chapter, hit the page forward button, only to end up on page 92. So I hit "go to page 144" and the same thing happens, over and over.

I have tried powering the Nook all the way off. I have tried removing the book from the SD card and putting it back on. Neither have worked. I finally had to page up to 150 (because 145 and 146 didn't work) and then page back to get to where I needed to be.

This is about the fourth book I have noticed this happen with, usually books I've downloaded with the fanfiction downloader, but it has happened at least once with a regular bought book as well. It happens several times per book, and always takes me back several chapters.

Does anyone have any advice or help for me? Thanks!
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I haven't seen this issue. Have you tried opening the book with Sigil or exploding it in Calibre to see if there is something odd in the page?

Does the book work as expected on other readers or on desktop software, like calibre reader?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree with afv011. You need to do some testing to determine whether the fault is with your Touch or the ebook. Looking at the book with Sigil would be good. Testing it with other readers would also be good, of course.

However, it can be really hard to diagnose something like this, IMHO. Say it worked fine in Calibre Reader or Nook for PC. Therefore it would seem that it was your Touch device that was at fault. But you'd still not be entirely sure that perhaps there is something wrong with the ebook, but that what is wrong with it didn't confuse Calibre or Nook for PC enough to do that jump-back thing.

Of course, if the ebook misbehaves in the other readers, then you know it is the ebook and not the devices.

I actually do think there is something wrong with the ebooks and not the Touch. No one else has ever reported this happening (as far as I know), so it doesn't seem as though it could be a Touch software thing, and it seems really unlikely to be a hardware thing (I mean, how would the touch screen or page forward button be causing this?).

Let us know what you find out with some testing.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I had this problem and had a thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177571

I kind of think the problem might have been related to wifi and the synching with multiple devices. Like you read and that time it doesn't sync because the wifi isn't hooking up or something. I'm not positive but I haven't had the problem for a while.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I actually do think there is something wrong with the ebooks and not the Touch. No one else has ever reported this happening (as far as I know), so it doesn't seem as though it could be a Touch software thing, and it seems really unlikely to be a hardware thing (I mean, how would the touch screen or page forward button be causing this?).
I agree. The reading is basically the same on the nook touch, and given that nobody else reported this after several months on the market, I would tend to think the issue is most likely in the book rather than the device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

I just converted the book in question to mobi and sent it to my Kindle, and it works fine, no skipping at all. I don't have any epub reader on my computer, other than calibre, and it reads fine in that too. So I still don't know what the deal is.

I have learned that when it skips back from 144 to 92, if I hit the page back button, it goes back to 144, then page forward goes back to 92 again, and so on and so on.

And since I don't have wi-fi in my house, that's not something that really ever gets turned on, so if that has to be turned on to fix it, I'll have to go to mickey d's or something.

And again, this has happened on at least 3 or 4 books- 3 fanfic books created with either Flagg or the ffic downloader in calibre, and one regularly pubbed book.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's happened to me with a number of books as well. I haven't had trouble lately, but if it's a wifi issue, maybe your internet setup has improved or something. We have moved to a new provider in the past few months. I don't remember if that's around the same time the problem stopped or not.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I just converted the book in question to mobi and sent it to my Kindle, and it works fine, no skipping at all. I don't have any epub reader on my computer, other than calibre, and it reads fine in that too. So I still don't know what the deal is.

I have learned that when it skips back from 144 to 92, if I hit the page back button, it goes back to 144, then page forward goes back to 92 again, and so on and so on.

And since I don't have wi-fi in my house, that's not something that really ever gets turned on, so if that has to be turned on to fix it, I'll have to go to mickey d's or something.

And again, this has happened on at least 3 or 4 books- 3 fanfic books created with either Flagg or the ffic downloader in calibre, and one regularly pubbed book.
Could you post one of the fanfic here I would try it on my nook touch. Or you could also try using epubfixer to see if the reading order in the book is messed up yourself.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
diremommy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Could you post one of the fanfic here I would try it on my nook touch. Or you could also try using epubfixer to see if the reading order in the book is messed up yourself.
The fic isn't up on ff.net anymore, am I allowed to post it here as an attachment?

Doing so anyway, apologies in advance if it's not allowed.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Green by Bratty_Vamp COMPLETE - Twilight Fic Database.epub (252.4 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I tried the book in several programs on my PC (Adobe Digital Editions, Firefox epub reader, Calibre Reader, and Nook for PC). It works fine, EXCEPT IN NOOK FOR PC, where it fails in exactly the same place as on the Nook Touch!

So, it seems to be the fault of the software that Barnes and Noble is using in both the Touch device and the Nook for PC program.

I examined the book in Sigil. The place where the error is occurring (page 144) is in the ...split_003.html file inside the epub, at around line 1992. This is at the very bottom of Chapter 17, right where Chapter 18 is about to start.

Trouble is, I see no problems there. The code looks identical to the way it looks at all other chapter breaks.

The other place - page 92 - is at the start of Chapter 12, which, somewhat interestingly, is the very FIRST chapter in the split_003.html file.

So, in other words, when you reach page 144 and page forward (from Chapter 17 to 18), it jumps back to the FIRST chapter in that split_003.html file, instead of continuing on to chapter 18 (which follows right after chapter 17 in the code). Very bizarre. The code looks fine to me. Maybe someone else can see something wrong.

It seems that it isn't the DEVICE that has the problem, but the software that B&N uses to display epubs on both the Touch and in the Nook for PC application. Pretty weird.

Last edited by RAH; 10-14-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
RAH
Guru

Just as a test, using Sigil I inserted a split in the split_003.html file inside the epub at the place where it was screwing up - at the split between Chapter 17 and 18. It now seems to work fine on a Nook. I only tried it in Nook for PC, but I'll bet it works OK on the Touch too. I have attached the file.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Just as a test, using Sigil I inserted a split in the split_003.html file inside the epub at the place where it was screwing up - at the split between Chapter 17 and 18. It now seems to work fine on a Nook. I only tried it in Nook for PC, but I'll bet it works OK on the Touch too. I have attached the file.
The split_003.html file was too large, or the Nook can not handle the normal max 260k size split file.

bernie
P.S.
I checked the file sizes, old size for split_003.html was 242.9 kB (242,900 bytes), after the fix it was 175.5 kB (175,507 bytes).

Last edited by gbm; 10-14-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add p.s
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
RAH
Guru

Yes, I agree that it seems like a capacity problem - i.e. the internal html file was just too large for the Nook to handle. This is why I did the split. I think this is an interesting thing to know now, because it seems that people periodically have problems with this, probably mostly with free ebooks produced by amateurs.

Too bad most non-techie folks would probably have trouble fixing the problem in Sigil, I think, even though it's easy enough using the Sigil tool for splitting the current file at the cursor.

Edit: Ideally, IMHO, a book has a split at each chapter and a Table of Contents entry for each chapter. In this particular ebook case, it has very few splits and no table of contents. No wonder it screws up!

Last edited by RAH; 10-14-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Edit: Ideally, IMHO, a book has a split at each chapter and a Table of Contents entry for each chapter. In this particular ebook case, it has very few splits and no table of contents. No wonder it screws up!
I agree.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
NickyWithNook
Guru

I think you're right that the problems I had have been with free books rather than commerically produced books. I've been reading commercially produced books lately, and that must be why I've stopped having this happen. I'm glad to know what caused it anyway. Though I'm not the OP, I appreciate you looking into it.