Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #136
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
What exactly do you mean by this? The only versioning scheme that would make sense at the moment would be to include the git revision somewhere or to use the date as a version.
Well, every piece of software has a version number - guess why?

Quote:
I think at the moment you have to manually chose the language but that should improve in the future.
How can I chose the language manually?

Quote:
Or do you mean that the order is different/some things are named differently?
Some things are named differently.

Quote:
Also about the INI, I'm not sure what to do with it. Creating the ini file automatically creates versioning problems when the options change in the future and the ini gets out of sync. Also I'd prefer if it were unnecessary to edit any config files by hand.
That should be simple. Parse the old file. If an entry exists, used also in the new version, copy the whole line. If an entry not exists, create it with a default value. If an option exists no more, jump over. Then create the new INI and overwrite the old.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #137
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
for the update of the plugin. Adds so much value to my Kobo and makes it easier to use.

Though I can hardly decide what I need in the home menu and what I don't need. But good that now I can decide.

I was just wondering... would it be possible to add a "sleep" button to the menu as well? Don't know if I'd really need it, but I often just put the Kobo to sleep, so having the possibility - if it can be done - would be nice.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #138
gorzka
gorzka began at the beginning.

I have install the last Tweak and I must say "very very good". Works perfectly.

But one question. Works the library now with the memory card?
gorzka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #139
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

On the WiFi / Airplane Mode issue I wrote this earlier in this thread:

Quote:
What I find a little confusing is differentiating "Toggle WiFi" and "WiFi On/Off" now, the first refers to toggling the Airplane mode, the label (for shortness) was my suggestion. What it does is inhibit the Kobo to use Wifi automatically, though it asks if I want to establish a connection when trying to open the browser or alike. Airplanemode is a great mode for me as is for many reasons, since the Kobo only will use WiFi when I specifically ask for it, but let's me use it by confirmation and stays in AP-mode anyway.

WiFi On/Off on the other hand let's me control the connection directly, whether I am in AP-mode or not, ist does just what it says: starts WiFi or stops it no matter what mode I am in. Since there is no use for manually switching on WiFi if I don't want to sync or use the browser, and I get WiFi by starting sync or browser anyway, this switch really only makes sense in a setting, where WiFi-Timeout is not used and I want to stop the connection manually.

This could be optimized by maybe only showing the option to stop Wifi manually if it is running, and show nothing if it is not. Better yet this could be done by tapping the WiFi-symbol in the top statusbar when active, keeping it out of the menu completely.

If that^ cannot be done and both entries have to stay in the menu, we should think of new labels to clearify the difference.

Maybe "Inhibit WiFi" for Airplane-Mode and "WiFi on/off" for the manual WiFi-switch...

In my usage scenario I will probably leave the timeout active and have only Airplane-mode in the menu, keeping AP-mode active all the time to go online only when needed. To be able to tap the topbar WiFi-Icon to cut connection at any time to my liking would be a nice extra...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #140
voom
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

So, now I tried the new version and the new tweaks-menu is a really big improvement in usability of the plugin!

The issue with the naming and function of the "Airplane Mode" and "WiFi on/off" should be resolved soon, though; now I would recommend naming the menu-items "Airplane-Mode" (for that is consistent with the default-naming on the device) omitting the "toggle" in the menu for shortness) and "WiFi on/off" for the additional direct on/off switch function.

Now in the tweaks-settings there is "Airplane Mode" and "Toggle WiFi" - those labels have been used so far for the same function.

Then I made a second improved icon for the bookshelves that I had only sent to ikarus9999 so far, it could be included in the next version....
Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #141
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/Glo
I've tried to change language via kobosetup.ini. Didn't work. What canI do?

And how can I remove books from a shelf?

In general a very nice tool.
Rainer Zenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #142
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Zenz View Post
And how can I remove books from a shelf?
Go to the bookshelf in question, select "edit" and remove the check mark from the book you want to remove, then save. That should work.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #143
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I was just wondering... would it be possible to add a "sleep" button to the menu as well? Don't know if I'd really need it, but I often just put the Kobo to sleep, so having the possibility - if it can be done - would be nice.
Why not? I put it on the Wishlist

Quote:
I've tried to change language via kobosetup.ini. Didn't work. What canI do?
I just finished the new version which detects the language automatically, that should solve this problem.

Full changelog:
  • Tweaks now uses the same language as the rest of the kobo. (Well, if a translation is available. I updated the german one, but I speak neither french nor spanish.)
  • New feature: Hide the page number in the reading view. This is mainly useful if you want to read PDF files, because the label often obscured text in PDFs.
  • Small layout and wording changes
  • Uninstall deletes the ini

Installation is the same as always, download tweaks-12-02-26.zip, extract the zip, copy Kobo.tgz to the .kobo folder on the device and eject the reader, open the library once to load the plugin.

(I guess I really should create some webpage or a page on github with the installation instructions and the newest version )

Oh, and about the SD card issue. I'll try to get a SD card from somewhere and look into that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tweaks-12-02-26.zip (70.8 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by ah-; 02-26-2012 at 03:32 AM.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #144
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
  • Tweaks now uses the same language as the rest of the kobo. (Well, if a translation is available. I updated the german one, but I speak neither french nor spanish.)
Here you can find the Spanish translation.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Spanish Translation_20120226.txt (771 Bytes, 203 views)

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 02-26-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #145
Rainer Zenz
Groupie
Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rainer Zenz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, it works, you're great!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #146
Rainer Zenz
Groupie

Another thing: Can one throw away these annoying recommendations in the bookshelves?

Can I delete them on my device?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #147
voom

Quote:
Another thing: Can one throw away these annoying recommendations in the bookshelves?

Can I delete them on my device?
That is a very good question; they must stored in the device and should be flagged differently from stuff I already own, so there could be a way to delete them between syncs.... I have no insight in the programmers' view on the device, but as a user I would like to be able to prune all content not related to my personal library, too...

Especially since these "recommendations" belong into the shop and only into the shop, but are a serious bug inside a library search or in the add-to-shelve-dialog, since it makes a fluid use of those functions almost impossible; at the very least it makes it very uncomfortable...

Last edited by voom; 02-26-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #148
pbat
pbat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Not working after rebooting (but with some errors from mine)

Quote:
Why not? I put it on the Wishlist

I just finished the new version which detects the language automatically, that should solve this problem.

Full changelog:
  • New feature: Hide the page number in the reading view. This is mainly useful if you want to read PDF files, because the label often obscured text in PDFs.
  • Small layout and wording changes
  • Uninstall deletes the ini

Installation is the same as always, download tweaks-12-02-26.zip, extract the zip, copy Kobo.tgz to the .kobo folder on the device and eject the reader, open the library once to load the plugin.

(I guess I really should create some webpage or a page on github with the installation instructions and the newest version )

Oh, and about the SD card issue. I'll try to get a SD card from somewhere and look into that.
Hi, please, an installation problem.
i made the following mistakes:
- decompressed the file tweaks... with a mac, and the result was a double decompression with a final file named libtweaks.so. (i discovered this only later)
- put the wrong file on the folder .kobo. nothing happened.
- unzipped the file tweaks... with another pc (a tablet), and put the correct Kobo.tgz file in the .kobo folder. following the instructions (opening library once), the software started and worked well.
- switching off and reeboting, then the tweaked home menu disappeared, and the original home menu came back.

your opinion: what to do? tryng reinstalling? reformatting and beginning again? did i maybe have corrupted some files in the kobo?
many thanks
p
pbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #149
voom

You must open the library after power off to activate the plugin every time. If you have a SDcard in the slot while booting that inhibits the activation of the plugin (at the moment, until issue fixed). The easiest way would be to never power off and only put to sleep, then you need not activate the plugin again and an eventual SDCard can stay put. I you must power off, boot with empty SDCard-Slot, go to library and reinsert SD after plugin is acivated.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #150
pbat
pbat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
You must open the library after power off to activate the plugin every time. If you have a SDcard in the slot while booting that inhibits the activation of the plugin (at the moment, until issue fixed). The easiest way would be to never power off and only put to sleep, then you need not activate the plugin again and an eventual SDCard can stay put. I you must power off, boot with empty SDCard-Slot, go to library and reinsert SD after plugin is acivated.
Yes, sorry, next time i'll read better all the thread. In fact it was only the sd card problem when you reboot. No, if you need it and you can send me the complete text in english, then i'll supply you with the italian localization. Thanks again
p
pbat is offline   Reply With Quote