Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
My big concern about the nook color

is that it just won't run very fast.
Saw this on Reddit, quoted from a tech blogger:

"Just watched the demo video in this post (Flash required, alas). The Nook Color is so painfully slow it makes me embarrassed for Barnes and Noble. Horrendous scrolling and zooming and touch responsiveness. Just horrendous."

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/10/26/nook-color

And I noticed here that people said they ducked demonstrating the Internet browser.

I really hope they'll have demo units at the stores before the ship date (and be amenable to me bringing a PDF to load to look at).

I kinda like the nook color (though I was disappointed with LCD and battery life), but I'll only buy it if it works well.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
is that it just won't run very fast.
Saw this on Reddit, quoted from a tech blogger:

"Just watched the demo video in this post (Flash required, alas). The Nook Color is so painfully slow it makes me embarrassed for Barnes and Noble. Horrendous scrolling and zooming and touch responsiveness. Just horrendous."

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/10/26/nook-color

And I noticed here that people said they ducked demonstrating the Internet browser.

I really hope they'll have demo units at the stores before the ship date (and be amenable to me bringing a PDF to load to look at).

I kinda like the nook color (though I was disappointed with LCD and battery life), but I'll only buy it if it works well.
The software probably is not mature yet, the same happened with the nook on release. As long as the hardware is there, the software can be improved with updates.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I get that, but if the machine is moving just plain slow, there's the possibility it is fundamentally underpowered (I notice they do not list the processor specs)

And my impression is that BN was pretty slow whipping Nook1 into shape (did they ever add in all the "N" words to the dictionary? I read complaints on Reddit a few months ago that even something that simple had not been fixed yet)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
it'll all come down to the processor. The specs on the software Android 2.1 very impressive, LG IPS Panal 1024 x 600 very impressive, the clairity and colors are going to be great but if they went cheap on the processor, then it's like having a '67 Mustang with a pinto engine under the hood.

If they went high end on everything, It would be a mistake to go cheap on the most important part.

It's a wait and see for me.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I saw the video in engadget. It is not painfully slow; in fact, i think it is pretty good.

I too am interested in Nook Color but it has to deliver the speed so the spec of the CPU is super critical. There is no fun surfing the net at snail pace. I'll also wait and see until I can try it out in the store. I hope that they pick the right processor to be compatible with the nice screen display. However, I'm a little skeptical since if it is a super good processor, they would have highly publicized it already.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I saw the video in engadget. It is not painfully slow; in fact, i think it is pretty good.

I too am interested in Nook Color but it has to deliver the speed so the spec of the CPU is super critical. There is no fun surfing the net at snail pace. I'll also wait and see until I can try it out in the store. I hope that they pick the right processor to be compatible with the nice screen display. However, I'm a little skeptical since if it is a super good processor, they would have highly publicized it already.
yeah I didn't hear any TI OMAP 3630 or Snapdragon mentioned, if it has one they most certainly do flaunt it.

but that's ok, even if the processor is the equalivlant of lets say the orignal Droid, I would be cool with that. It won't have quite the same buttery smoothness as my TI OMAP on my Droid X but it's still really nice.
Now if they went the generation before that, then that'll be tough. Too much animation and features for an old cheap one.

Oh Please BN don't have gone all Tiffany's on us for the hardware but have gone all Kohls on us for the CPU.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
You should be aware that the daringfireball site is by no means nonpartisan. John Gruber is fervent regarding iOS/Apple and attacks Android at any chance. Sometimes fairly, sometimes not , IMO.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
You should be aware that the daringfireball site is by no means nonpartisan. John Gruber is fervent regarding iOS/Apple and attacks Android at any chance. Sometimes fairly, sometimes not , IMO.
yeah that and electronista.com as well aren't the most objective. that is ran by Mac media, LOL

i've seen three videos and none of them were painfully slow, not as buttery smooth as my Droid X or the iPad but not horrible either.

Last edited by boswd; 10-27-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't have any concerns until I can actually use it and see what up
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
boswd
Banned

haven't seen any official confirmation but it's seems from this blog it'll be using the TI OMAP soc A9 IOW's WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Underneath its full-color covers, the Nookcolor is outfitted with an OMAP system-on-a-chip (SoC) processor from Texas Instuments, based on an ARM Cortex A9 processor. The e-reader runs a custom build of Android 2.1. “When we first started working on a color Nook, Android 2.1 wasn’t available yet,” explained Jamie Iannone, a B&N executive VP, speaking with me at the launch. The Android 2.2 upgrade will include the addition of Adobe Flash, too.

http://technologizer.com/2010/10/26/nookcolor/

This would be amazing this would compliment the rest of the high end features perfect.

If this is true, which nothing is confirmed then this will be a steal.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

looks like that blog is using PC World's review.
that is a pretty reliable source

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20899...s_program.html
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
If this turns out to be true, the device will become much more attractive. Heck, I might even be interested in getting one to run it rooted. The combination of a decent screen at that resolution and a suitable processor would be all I'd want - I'm quite happy to keep the thing plugged in the majority of the time.

I find most of the 'eyestrain' problems people associate with LCD are very much reduced by using white text on a black background and properly adjusting the screen's brightness (Eink still has it's place, of course).
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote