Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Was there ever a firmware update?

I just picked up a T2 reader and went to Sony's page to check out downloads and there are no firmwares.

Did the T2 only have the factory firmware and that's all?

Edit: Yes. Their page is confusing. The updated firmware is 2.4.01.10241. It LOOKS like the download links are for Win/Mac software, but that is the installers for the firmware... except the page doesn't say the links are firmware until you click through.

Last edited by DoctorM; 08-31-2020 at 01:55 AM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Okay, what the what? That was Sony Reader for PC NOT a firmware installer.

I cannot find a firmware update on their website anymore. The reader is running 1.1.00.15240. If there is newer firmware can someone provide a link?
Advert
Old 09-03-2020, 12:49 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Okay, what the what? That was Sony Reader for PC NOT a firmware installer.

I cannot find a firmware update on their website anymore. The reader is running 1.1.00.15240. If there is newer firmware can someone provide a link?
I think 1.1.00.15240 is probably the newest. Does it show the Kobo market rather than the Sony one? I think there was only one "Kobo" firmware release. I don't have my PRS-T2 down here in Texas with me. I can check for sure when I get home (not for about a month yet). I didn't realize Sony had dropped support for the T-1, T-2 and (I'm guessing) T3.

Here's a link to the news about updates for these three (after Sony closed down there eReader business.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...ebook-readers/

I'm guessing these were the last firmware updates. (Don't know for sure.) The links no longer go anywhere.

Here's a link to the PRS-T2 firmware from a site called ReByte.

https://rebyte.me/en/sony/138144/file-821692/

They have updater files for several for several of the Sony Readers, including a newer one then mentioned on the eBook Reader blog for the T1 ( PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070.exe). They even have the updater for the PRS-505 available (this is the one I already have). (The 300, 600 and 900 don't appear to have updates? Unless it's built into the Reader software?)

https://rebyte.me/en/search/?term=Sony+PRS

No T3, however?

I've downloaded the updaters they have available (I have Linux). I'm guessing the site is okay, but it's always a good idea to be wary, especially if you're using Windows.

Found the T3 update on the Canadian Sony support page...

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...loads/W0009716

Last edited by rcentros; 09-03-2020 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added information.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:19 AM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie

Thanks. Yes, the Kobo bookstore is on the T2. I figured it might be the most recent for that reason.

My T1 readers had 1.0.07.05070, but I didn't realize that that was a follow up to the Kobo change firmware. I thought 1.0.07 WAS the one that swapped in the Kobo bookstore. Weird.

Btw, if anyone needs them, I have 1.0.04, 1.0.05 and 1.0.07 for the T1.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did have a look and I cannot find any Sony firmware updates. Seems Sony has taken them all down.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I thought the last update for the T series updated it to the Kobo bookstore and there never were any more.

I updated my T1 a couple of years ago, hoping that would make it less buggy. Didn't help. I never bothered to update my T2 and my T3 was updated when I purchased it.

I sideload everything anyway and never have turned on the Wifi.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:24 PM   #7
DoctorM
Groupie

Some T1's were just flaky. My dad's freezes about every other day.
I manage to clean up the firmware on one of my readers and made it completely crash free for years.
I also bricked another one trying to do the same thing. :O

So far the T2 seems pretty solid, but I've only had it for a few days. It's interesting that the specs are identical, but the T2 boots up and feels generally faster and more responsive. I'm thinking Sony may have used faster memory which might not be reflected in the specs.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I used a T1 and my mother used a T1 and there was no problem with either of them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
So far the T2 seems pretty solid, but I've only had it for a few days. It's interesting that the specs are identical, but the T2 boots up and feels generally faster and more responsive. I'm thinking Sony may have used faster memory which might not be reflected in the specs.
Something is different. A T2 was the first Sony I owned and it's definitely cleaner and faster than the T1 I got later on. The T1 has locked up several times on me. Never have had an issue with the T2. Still use a T2 from time to time.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I know a bunch of people here on Mobileread had issues with T1's locking up. Mine was fine for the first couple years or so but eventually started locking up frequently if I attmpted to look up a word in the dictionary. My T3 hardly ever locked up. I still use the T3 every once in a while.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:52 PM   #11
tobia
tobia began at the beginning.

Exclamation Rebyte not working

Does anyone still have the PRS-T2 1.1.00.15240 firmware? The rebyte link doesn't download anymore =(
tobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:04 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobia View Post
Does anyone still have the PRS-T2 1.1.00.15240 firmware? The rebyte link doesn't download anymore =(
I've sent a private message with the link to my Google Drive (not sure if I'm allowed to post the link publicly). It took me a while to find the T2 firmware, it was on the Windows partition of a computer the kids no longer use. Now I've uploaded it and also (I think) the latest firmware for the PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-950 and PRS-T1. If I can find a public site to host these I'll put them up on one.

I meant to add... if anyone needs any of these files I'll be glad to set up a link and send it in a private message. The public file hosting option would be better though.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-05-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:35 PM   #13
tobia

Thank you for the file rcentros.

I hooked up my ereader by usb, but the "update" button from the .exe program doesn't let me click on it? How am I supposed to update the firmware?
Old 07-06-2022, 01:59 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobia View Post
Thank you for the file rcentros.

I hooked up my ereader by usb, but the "update" button from the .exe program doesn't let me click on it? How am I supposed to update the firmware?
I just updated a T2 with it, so the file, itself, is good -- but I've got a feeling Google Drive is somehow mangling it in the upload or download. When I booted to the Windows partition, I couldn't even download my own file. I don't know if it was an issue with Google or Windows (Windows did say something about cookies) so maybe one or the other (or both Microsoft and Google) are being control freaks.

I'll see where else I can upload this file. Sorry for the trouble.

EDIT: Okay, I downloaded the file from my Google Drive in Linux and the file, itself, looks good.

Quick question, did your computer recognize the T2? When you plug the T2 in, there should be a choice to either connect or not — your computer should beep when it connects. (Probably a dumb question, but I've got to make sure.) Meanwhile I'll try to find a file sharing site.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-06-2022 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:24 PM   #15
tobia

My PC recognizes the e-reader as a device under This PC and as well as the Reader for PC... It's just the .exe program didn't recognize that it was plugged in already

Thank you rcentros for sending a Dropbox link. I don't think there's anything wrong with the .exe file you sent over Drive