Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #736
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Ever feel like you're reading a book under duress? Well, that's me right now I'm reading a book I must finish by Saturday morning and I just can't seem to get into it. It's quite short and I could probably be done in under two hours but I can't concentrate, darn it. My mind is full of the Psy-Changeling series and that's all I want to read right now! I'm in trouble
Old 05-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #737
Ararose
Enthusiast
Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have that series too in Audible. I'm not too interested in the Guild series... that could change as I read more of her books. It makes me want to get back into the Midnight Breed series. I think I enjoy books that have a complex plot the most and these series definitely have them.

Are there any more out there like that?
Have you ever tried Jacquelyn Frank or Kresley Cole? I can't remember if anyone has recommended them before or not, but they both do paranormal romance with a lot of world building and more complex plots. I like them both a lot.

Another one I like is Jennifer Estep, although she may be more Urban Fantasy. I'd say her Bigtime series is more lighthearted Paranormal Romance though.
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #738
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararose View Post
Have you ever tried Jacquelyn Frank or Kresley Cole? I can't remember if anyone has recommended them before or not, but they both do paranormal romance with a lot of world building and more complex plots. I like them both a lot.

Another one I like is Jennifer Estep, although she may be more Urban Fantasy. I'd say her Bigtime series is more lighthearted Paranormal Romance though.
Jacquelyn Frank Yes! Kresley Cole No I have not read. I read the entire Nightwalker series. I actually can say I devoured the series. Xe Sands is the narrator and she is amazing. I own the series in both audio and ebook. It's one of my favorites. I wouldn't say her plots are complex though but she does amazing world building. Did you know the entire series all except Adam was written right after another. She wrote the whole thing in pretty much one time frame. I love the way she writes. It's very poetic.

Jennifer Estep I love her Bigtime series. Her Assassin series I got to book 4 I think it was and had to give it up. It was just too dark and depressing although I love Lauren Fortgang's voice. I started reading it because of the location the book is in. It's actually set in the middle of nowhere. I lived very near it but I couldn't take the darkness of the books as the story line progressed. I think she is a very talented writer and would love to see her write something not so dark.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #739
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Have you tried Meljean Brook? I recently finished her Iron Seas series and thought it was one of the better ones. I never read her Demon series, although I heard a lot of praise for it.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #740
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Ever feel like you're reading a book under duress? Well, that's me right now I'm reading a book I must finish by Saturday morning and I just can't seem to get into it. It's quite short and I could probably be done in under two hours but I can't concentrate, darn it. My mind is full of the Psy-Changeling series and that's all I want to read right now! I'm in trouble
I know exactly how you feel. After that ARC book review. I can't read something if my mind is stuck in another world or I am just not liking it. It hasn't happen with the Psy-changeling series yet but I had it happen with Plum and Nightwalkers in the past.

I've started Visions of Heat and about 11% into it. I'm on Chapter 4 to be precise. So far I am drawn in and can relate more to this heroine being the hermit I am. As soon as hubby get back with dinner and we eat I am going back into my book. Let him watch his JAG
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #741
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Have you tried Meljean Brook? I recently finished her Iron Seas series and thought it was one of the better ones. I never read her Demon series, although I heard a lot of praise for it.
No but I do have her first one of the Iron seas series so I will read it some day. The Elder series is another one I own and plan to read. I'm on like book three of the Dark Hunter series I need to read the next one but kind of spook about the hero. I just need to push through it.

One series I am curious about Christan freehan's Leopard series. I have a few of her Carpathian series it's on my TBR list.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #742
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I'm on like book three of the Dark Hunter series I need to read the next one but kind of spook about the hero.
I'm not sure you and I overlap a lot on our tastes (I really can't stand Western historical romance, for example ), but I'll share that I loved the Dark-Hunters at first. I always like a romance with a tortured hero. Not sure what that says about me.

But while I thought the series had a goal at one point, it always seemed to me that once she got popular, she just lost all track of where it was heading. I stopped reading at Acheron, mostly because I just had to know how she handled his story...but I haven't had much interest in picking any more of her books up since.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #743
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
I like the idea of fun westerns. I did listen to "Tin Angel" and thought it was fun. I can't tell you how many times the hero had to rescue the heroine.
Isn't that the one she wrote with her husband? I have it. I will up it on my TBR list. Kat Martin is an autobuy for me. I can't wait for Midnight Rider to be re-released this coming month!

Try Judith Stacy. After reading Outlaw Love I bought her entire backlist she had in ebook.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #744
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
Quote:
I can only think of three authors who currently write historical westerns. Lori Austin (Lori Handeland) Jo Goodman and Georgina Gentry, some of her westerns were my very first! I know Jodi thomas still puts one out every now and then. In category romance there is a couple more. Harlequin has never stopped letting westerns be published but they are like one a month. I would love to see the comeback of historical western romance.
Have you tried Kaki Warner? She's got two different historical western series out and she's been recommended by DA. I've got two of her books on my TBR pile, waiting for the mood to strike to read a western.

I've also read a couple by Elaine Levine in her Men of Defiance series. These are published by Zebra so prices are pretty reasonable. I read Rachel and The Hired Gun (currently $2.42) and liked it. I also tried another in the same series called Audrey and The Maverick (currently $4.19) and wasn't quite as happy with it, but now that I'm looking at the series again, I think I may try the latest one, called Logan's Outlaw. The same author also self-pubs a romantic suspense series called The Red Team. I've tried the first, The Edge of Courage ($0.99) and enjoyed it.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #745
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
Have you tried Kaki Warner? She's got two different historical western series out and she's been recommended by DA. I've got two of her books on my TBR pile, waiting for the mood to strike to read a western.

I've also read a couple by Elaine Levine in her Men of Defiance series. These are published by Zebra so prices are pretty reasonable. I read Rachel and The Hired Gun (currently $2.42) and liked it. I also tried another in the same series called Audrey and The Maverick (currently $4.19) and wasn't quite as happy with it, but now that I'm looking at the series again, I think I may try the latest one, called Logan's Outlaw. The same author also self-pubs a romantic suspense series called The Red Team. I've tried the first, The Edge of Courage ($0.99) and enjoyed it.
I have Elaine Levine's books but haven't read them. I think I read she was moving into contemporary romance now. I have not read Kaki Warner. I will look into her books. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #746
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Free on Smashwords Rock the Heart by Michelle A. Valentine with code VR34E (ends today sometime).

I didn't love it (can't remember why though as I didn't write anything about it on GR, oops!) but it does have a 4.08 with 10k ratings on GR!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #747
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLapi View Post
Free on Smashwords Rock the Heart by Michelle A. Valentine with code VR34E (ends today sometime).
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/257686

Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #748
Ararose
Enthusiast
Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
No but I do have her first one of the Iron seas series so I will read it some day. The Elder series is another one I own and plan to read. I'm on like book three of the Dark Hunter series I need to read the next one but kind of spook about the hero. I just need to push through it.

One series I am curious about Christan freehan's Leopard series. I have a few of her Carpathian series it's on my TBR list.

I second the recommendation for Meljean Brooks! I've only ready her Iron Seas series but I do like it. I'd say they are more Steampunk/Urban Fantasy than Paranormal Romance though. Illona Andrews is another one I like too, but again more Urban Fantasy.

What about Robin D. Owen's Celta series? It's kind of similar to Jayne Castle's Curtain series, sort of a Sci-Fi + Paranormal Romance.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #749
Ararose
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm not sure you and I overlap a lot on our tastes (I really can't stand Western historical romance, for example ), but I'll share that I loved the Dark-Hunters at first. I always like a romance with a tortured hero. Not sure what that says about me.

But while I thought the series had a goal at one point, it always seemed to me that once she got popular, she just lost all track of where it was heading. I stopped reading at Acheron, mostly because I just had to know how she handled his story...but I haven't had much interest in picking any more of her books up since.
I did the same exact same thing with the Dark Hunters series! I stalled out on the series after Acheron.

I also did the same thing on Lora Leigh's Breed series, which is a shame, because I really did like that series. Maybe I should give it another try. Hmmm....

And to some extent I did that on Christine Feehan's Carpathian series too, although I think that may have more to do with my personal preferences than the series.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #750
Ararose
Enthusiast

Quote:
Jacquelyn Frank Yes! Kresley Cole No I have not read. I read the entire Nightwalker series. I actually can say I devoured the series. Xe Sands is the narrator and she is amazing. I own the series in both audio and ebook. It's one of my favorites. I wouldn't say her plots are complex though but she does amazing world building. Did you know the entire series all except Adam was written right after another. She wrote the whole thing in pretty much one time frame. I love the way she writes. It's very poetic.

Jennifer Estep I love her Bigtime series. Her Assassin series I got to book 4 I think it was and had to give it up. It was just too dark and depressing although I love Lauren Fortgang's voice. I started reading it because of the location the book is in. It's actually set in the middle of nowhere. I lived very near it but I couldn't take the darkness of the books as the story line progressed. I think she is a very talented writer and would love to see her write something not so dark.

No, I didn't know that Jacquelyn Frank wrote that series in such a short time frame! Yeesh! I would have been burned out and then some!

Yes, she is very good! And Xe Sands too! I love her voice!

Yep, Jennifer Estep's Assassin series is definitely not a romance, but I love it anyway. I can usually handle the darkness and violence as long as I'm just reading it. I can't stand seeing it on screen though.

I actually used the recent Kobo coupons to pick up the rest of the Bigtime series, so I'm going to have a fun weekend!

You'll probably find Kresely Cole on the same level as Jacquelyn Frank in terms of world-building and plot complexity. Cole's writing style is very different though. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's not as intense?

Ah! I just though of two others. Shannon Abe and Marjorie M. Liu. Shannon Abe is a very poetic writer (although again not as intense as Jacquelyn Frank). I'm not very far into Marjorie M. Liu's Dirk & Steele series, but I've enjoyed it so far. I'm trying to think of a good comparison, but I can't think of one.

Okay, I'm shutting myself up now, I promise!

Edit: Sorry, it's Shana Abe, not Shannon! I haven't had coffee yet this morning!

Last edited by Ararose; 05-31-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Wrong name
Closed Thread