Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
rigong
rigong began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
[calibre] transfer e-book through wifi

Hi folks,
there is a way to transfer the e-book from Calibre to my PRS-T1 through wi-fi connection ?

Any tricks ?

Thanks a lot !
rigong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
dobyrne
dobyrne began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
In my case I keep my calibre library on a dropbox folder.

I can easily navigate to dropbox from the prs-t1 browser and pick up the
epub that way

I believe you can have calibre act as a webserver/content server directly (see http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...ad.php?t=74683)
dobyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
drop box is the simplest just set up the log in on your t1 browser,the browser will automatically start download of supported file types when you tap on them, to your selected destination - internal memory or /sd card it works really well well
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I prefer using the Calibre server to Dropbox because of the search/sorting ability and the catalogue aspect (you can see your covers and synopsis for each book) which dropbox doesn't have.
First you need to know your computer's local ip address:
EDIT: you no longer have to open a cmd screen to find your IP address... Calibre now detects it and lists it in it's user interface. You can find it by clicking on the arrow next to the "Connect/share" icon in the main toolbar. It will be on the 3rd line down in the pop-up window.
1- Write the ip address down so you can enter it into your reader's browser window later.
2- On PC, make sure Calibre is ON, (Connect/share icon in toolbar is GREEN). I usually leave Calibre open on my laptop and the server always on.
3- On the Sony ereader, ensure Wifi is ON, open a browser window and type:
(http://192.168.1.110:8080/browse (where 192.168.1.110, is your own local ip address you had written down, 8080 is the default Calibre port.)
4- Set this address as your home page on your reader's web browser in order to return to it easily; it will display the following choices in the Calibre menu on the web page in your reader's browser:
- newest
- all books
- authors
- languages
- publishers
- rating
- series
- tags
Tapping one will bring you to a menu which displays the book covers, synopsis and a "get" button below each cover to allow you to download the book chosen.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-10-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
rigong
rigong began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Thanks to all !!! Very useful information !!!
rigong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I prefer using the Calibre server to Dropbox because of the search/sorting ability and the catalogue aspect (you can see your covers and synopsis for each book) which dropbox doesn't have.
You need to know your computer's local ip address:
On your PC, click start, type cmd in the search box. On DOS screen type ipconfig. The ip address is the one labelled IPv4. Should look something like this: 192.168.1.110, write this down.
On PC, make sure Calibre is ON, Calibre server is ON.
On the Sony ereader, ensure Wifi is ON, open a browser window and type:
(http://192.168.1.110:8080/browse (where 192.168.1.110, is your own local ip address you had written down, 8080 is the default Calibre port.)
I set this address as my home page, it will display the following choices in the Calibre menu on the web page in your reader's browser:
- newest
- all books
- authors
- languages
- publishers
- rating
- series
- tags
Tapping one will bring you to a menu which displays the book covers, synopsis and a "get" button below each cover to allow you to download the book chosen.

I have set this url as my home page so I can quickly open the Calibre link and select books to load wirelessly onto my reader.

Just tried this, but no luck. I had Calibre running, but what do you mean: Calibre Server on?

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre has to be open on your computer. The Calibre server is on an icon in the toolbar at the top labelled "connect/share" and it has to be "green" for "on". Any app that sends information from your PC to a device requires a server so the data can transfer from one to the other... I have set my server, in preferences---sharing over the net, to "start automatically when calibre starts" by checking off the box in front. The server doesn't run if Calibre isn't running so I usually always open Calibre when my computer is on so that I can load stuff anytime I choose to...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 06-19-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Calibre has to be open on your computer and the Calibre server is on an icon in the toolbar at the top labelled "connect/share" and it has to be "green" for "on". Any app the sends information from your PC to a device requires a server so the data can transfer from one to the other... I have set my server, in preferences---sharing over the net, to "start automatically when calibre starts" by checking off the box in front. The server doesn't run if Calibre isn't running so I usually always open Calibre when my computer is on so that I can load stuff anytime I choose to...

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give this a try.

AJ

Just did it, downloaded two books..worked fine. Thanks again.

Last edited by AJ Starr; 06-19-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Tech.... arghhh !!!!!!!

Mr TechDunce says....wish I knew what they were talking about ......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard

Need help?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Essentially, I used my T1, with the wi-fi, logged into my computer through my wifi router, and went to Calibre and downloaded two books, without hooking up my cable from the computer to the T1.

Though this sounds silly doing it here at my computer desk, with the computer and cables under my hands, this way I can do it from other rooms in my house, with my husbands' T1, and even (I assume) from across the country at my parents house (if I left my computer on with Calibre running)

It would also be great for those who have misplaced their cable, etc......

AJ
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard

y
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Essentially, I used my T1, with the wi-fi, logged into my computer through my wifi router, and went to Calibre and downloaded two books, without hooking up my cable from the computer to the T1.
Though this sounds silly doing it here at my computer desk, with the computer and cables under my hands, this way I can do it from other rooms in my house, with my husbands' T1, and even (I assume) from across the country at my parents house (if I left my computer on with Calibre running)

It would also be great for those who have misplaced their cable, etc......

AJ
* you can only do it within range of your wifi (local) network... To do it from elsewhere you would have to use something like Calibre2opds which works with Dropbox or set up port forwarding etc. as discussed in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...e+server+range
But even if you don't, it is nice being at the other end of the house or lounging in the back yard and being able to get books without going to the computer...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 06-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
These all appear to be "pull" solutions, where you use the browser on the T1 to access content.

I'd like to have some way of having the T1 "connect" to my PC running Calibre so that Calibre detects it the same way it's detected when connected via USB and then have Calibre be able to sent content to the T1.

Specifically, I'd love to be able to turn on WiFi on the T1 and my news recipes auto-download to the T1 without any other intervention.

Unfortunately I have no idea how this would be possible. I suspect that you'd some extra software running on the T1 (maybe Samba?) and possibly some Calibre changes to support this.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
HarryMonmouth
HarryMonmouth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader TRS T2
You are totally my hero now. I try to join as few forums as possible because I am hopeless at remembering passwords but I had to join specifically to tell you that you are awesome Chantal.
I bought the T2 just yesterday after having been a happy Kindle user for over a year. I was very uncertain about my choice but went for it on account of the language dictionaries and the evernote support.
With the ability to just reach into Calibre and retrieve ebooks this has just become so much easier and more convenient than the Kindle to use. I was certain that moving to Sony would just be a pain after having given up with trying to get Adobe and the reader software to recognise each other on the Mac. Being able to use Calibre in this way is absolutely incredible though. It is really stepping into the future.
HarryMonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I've been wanting to try it also, pretty tech-challenged myself but everytime I see cdesja5 explain it, it makes me want to try it!

I have never set my wifi on my T1. And I don't have any of the Sony reader on my computer, just Calibre. Not sure if that would affect the steps to doing this or not.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, prs-t1, wi-fi