Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 08:55 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #17
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Don't forget the massive 10 hours of battery life
Great ebook reader.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
You read my mind!! I am impressed with how people just bash the iPad when 2 weeks ago they were all hyped about devices such as the Que and Skiff that do less and cost more

BTW, there is this awesome iphone app to read books called Stanza that, if imported straight to the iPad is going to rock!
Those devices can do a lot more than the iPad as far as reading is concerned because they have a different screen. My phone and a netbook can do a lot more than the iPad, so by your standards, why consider the iPad? I thought our focus is on reading? The iPad brings nothing that my phone, laptop, and reader can't do much better. It is far less powerful than a netbook and costs twice as much.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-28-2010 at 02:20 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #19
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I think it looks great!

But... it'll not replace ebook readers... I first thought it may replace netbooks, but with the lack of ports and card readers, that is also very unlikely...

It has certainly caused a stir - just look at the threads about this unit on here alone, and all the posts - one could be forgiven to think something spectacular had occurred.
"Where there's smoke, there's fire."
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
"Where there's smoke, there's fire."
That smoke you see is being produced by old Steve, who set up a giant smoke screen to separate people from that hard earned cash in their wallets.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #21
sdbryan
sdbryan began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Let's send them a message and not buy *any* Apple products whatsoever. Including the iTampon.
Right, you stick with that plan and then let us know how it is working. Some of us might enjoy a product with the best SDK for a mobile device ever (the OS isn't too shabby either).
sdbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's exactly what I was hoping for - a big iPod Touch. I'll be buying one when it's launched here in the UK.

For those who don't like it, don't buy it. The fact that it doesn't appeal to you personally doesn't make it a "bad" device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's exactly what I was hoping for - a big iPod Touch. I'll be buying one when it's launched here in the UK.

For those who don't like it, don't buy it. The fact that it doesn't appeal to you personally doesn't make it a "bad" device.
Quite true.

Well, i mean to buy a tablet, but it would need some program that are, halas, windows only. Else, I would have a go at Linux.

I'm surprised at the choice of iPhoneOs, i would expect a tablet to run a full OS with with all the bells and whistle. (ie MacOS in that case)

Quote:
Only videos contained in the user's iTunes library or converted to Apple's video formats will play, and files cannot be dragged and dropped on to the device, as is the case with most other computers.
You really have to re-encode video ??

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-28-2010 at 03:26 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #24
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'll probably take a hard look at it in a few months to half a year if nothing else appears. It may well be crippled in quite a few ways, but it might still be one of my best options.

What I'm really interested in is what things may be announced in the near future by competitors. Some may have been holding off on announcements to let the Apple frenzy calm down a bit, and some may be working up product responses to the iPad more directly. I just hope they don't go down the road of blindly cloning it without improving on any of its weaknesses.

I'm glad there's a decent, popular, "fast" device out there today. If some major content gets ported to the iPad and similar devices with more polished presentation, even ebook quality standards may improve, if ever so slightly.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #25
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'll probably take a hard look at it in a few months to half a year if nothing else appears.
That's what I'm doing...well, actually, being down in Oz, I don't really have that choice so that's the way I'm rationalising it to myself.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
You really have to re-encode video ??
Not if it's already in a suitable format for the iPod Touch, which means MPEG4 with a couple of different choices of CODEC (H264 and something else which escapes me). I rip all my video in that format to start with, because that way it's playing on the iPod and on my PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #27
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yes, but still - you'll end up having to do a lot of reencoding of video if you want to watch a lot of things on it. This also doesn't bode well for broad format support of any kind from it. (I'd expect MP3 for music, but not say Ogg...)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #28
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I LOVE it!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #29
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
The fact that it doesn't appeal to you personally doesn't make it a "bad" device.
The fact that it appeals to you personally doesn't make it a "good" one.

Quote:
Not if it's already in a suitable format for the iPod Touch, which means MPEG4 with a couple of different choices of CODEC (H264 and something else which escapes me). I rip all my video in that format to start with, because that way it's playing on the iPod and on my PC.
What makes you think it will let you import any video? The presentation only shows running videos bought from iTunes store.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #30
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Yes, but still - you'll end up having to do a lot of reencoding of video if you want to watch a lot of things on it. This also doesn't bode well for broad format support of any kind from it. (I'd expect MP3 for music, but not say Ogg...)
Perian handles all these codec issues on the Mac OS proper, but I highly doubt we'll see that appear on the iPad quick enough to make it worthwhile.

This thing is gimped from top to bottom. I went off to price some other alternatives, and I can get a netbook with 14 hours of battery time for less than the iPad. $500 for a Mac storefront. People will buy anything.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote