Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
So I can get prime video 1080p on non Amazon android after all

I thought this could not be done, but playing around with a new Lenovo yoga 3 Plus tablet, this worked:
Go to Amazon Web site, select desktop site in browser setings, sign in, play a prime: video.i.e.pkay it in the browser and toggle it to full screen
In chrome there is a pop up to allow giving device properties to Amazon. Or in edge browser there is the same.
Both browsers work .
Video quality quickly builds to be 1080p, confirmed by bottom left indicator, whereas in the prime video app it is sd only.

I am unsure what the exact minimum the prerequisites are. I guess the device needs widevine L1 DRM I dunno if an android os level is also needed. This tablet is at 7.1.
Probably it is necessary to select desktop site in browser, and then have enough CPU power..and the video is then in html5 ?
But I am well pleased , as the only android, not Amazon, tablet I know of that does this out of the box is the £500 Samsung Tab s3,;with the Samsung galaxy prime app.

So I would be interested to know if others can get this to work on non Amazon hardware

Last edited by stumped; 07-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You can also Down load the PRIME Video app
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The prime video app is sd only, on any non Amazon android, hence this workaround. All you miss out on in browser is download for later, but that is very restrictive anyway.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have installed it on several Non Amazon devices worked great... but you are deemed to do things the hard way jumping thru hoops so be it
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

it "works great" if you like watching in standard Definition 480p. i don't. and I can see the difference. i can see the difference between 720p and 1080p also, on a 10 inch screen

but 480p is all you get in the amazon video for android app. there is no HD or HD1080p icon, like on an amazon tablet- except for this list
Streaming Video Quality: UHD/HDR/HD on Sony Xperia XZ Premium mobile devices; HDR /HD on Samsung Galaxy Note 7, Galaxy 8, 8+, Galaxy Tab S3, Sony Xperia XZ1 ; SD on all other Android devices

in theory , any tablet that can stream netflix in HD has all the DRM stuff on board to handle Amazon video HD, it is just that amazon don't want you to have it, they want you to buy an amazon tablet. Strangely, they do allow HD for most ipads though

I am fussy about my tablet watching experience
my "holy grail" for video was to find a 10 inch 16x10 form factor tablet that shows netflix in 1080p AND amazon in 1080p. I can get netflix 1080p on my fire tablets but only by using a hacked netflix app. [ the official amazon netflix app on the Fire HD10 is 720p only, even though the screen is 1080p- confirmed by streaming test patterns and by phone with amazon and with netflix .

the front runner solution was samsung Tab s3, which amazon have made an exception for ( so long as you use the samsung's own amazon video app) but it only does netflix at 720p. Confirmed with multiple phone calls to Amazon, Samsung and Netflix, and on various other forums. [ the hacked app would work but if I pay £600 for a tablet I dont expect to have to hack it to improve netflix streaming quality ]

FYI while I am comparing specs: if you want Dolby Atmos on board you are limited to Amazon or Lenovo, and if you want support for AC5.1 sound ( so that Plex can play stuff with those sound formats without transposing) it is Amazon only.
no other tablets have native support for EAC3/Dolby 5.1 [ you can download custom codecs for MX player though]

so the Lenovo Yoga tab 3 plus ticks most of my boxes:> Dolby Atmos, Netflix 1080p, Amazon 1080p with the browser workaround, huge battery for binge watching. All it lacks is the EAC3 audio format support but the latest plex app transposes audio on the tablet to work around that, I think.
at some point I will test my previous android tablet - the samsung tab s1 - for the amazon video in browser workaround. That has Netflix 1080p natively, but I've put it away & plan to sell it once I am 100% happy with the Yoga Tab Plus.

Last edited by stumped; 07-04-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

quick final update, in case anyone else finds this thread
the view in HD in browser trick worked in Edge browser onmy Samsung tab S1[ android 6] also
in both cases, you must select view desktop site in browser preferences, before streaming. And remember to do that every time, as the choice does not stick.

That seems to fool amazon servers into thinking they are streaming to a desktop PC so they allow the HD stream, after a one-off protected content check.

But with the browser in default view mobile site settings, all you get is SD, same as the android app.