Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #166
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Here are a couple of 2.4.0 bugs I've just been reminded of after loading some more stuff on my Glo...

1. Suppose you have a bad EPUB (error in the OPF file's XML) and you load it onto the device with a few other books. You go to the library, see the blank cover, and realize there's a problem. You delete it from the device (through the touchscreen interface), fix the book on your computer, hook the device back up, and copy it back onto the device with the same filename it previously had. You eject the device, it redetects the book and correctly shows the cover in the carousel...but the white thumbnail remains in the library view. Only powering off and back on will fix that.

2. Say you're reading one book and you hook the device up to load a few more on. ("A few" can be less than 10, but probably has to be at least 5.) You load the books without incident, go into the library view to shelve 'em, and power off. Instead of seeing the cover of the book you'd been reading, you get the generic "powered off" message. Same happens if you put it to sleep instead of powering down; you get the generic sleep message. You have to go back into your library and manually open the book you'd been reading before its cover shows back up on your sleep/off screen.

3. (Just discovered.) Newly-synced-down Kepubs don't appear at the top of Recent Reads as you'd expect. I'm not sure where they show up in that sort; I just sort by type and skip to the end of the list to find 'em...but shouldn't they show up as the most recent reads, just as new sideloaded books do?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #167
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Here are a couple of 2.4.0 bugs I've just been reminded of after loading some more stuff on my Glo...

1. Suppose you have a bad EPUB (error in the OPF file's XML) and you load it onto the device with a few other books. You go to the library, see the blank cover, and realize there's a problem. You delete it from the device (through the touchscreen interface), fix the book on your computer, hook the device back up, and copy it back onto the device with the same filename it previously had. You eject the device, it redetects the book and correctly shows the cover in the carousel...but the white thumbnail remains in the library view. Only powering off and back on will fix that.
I have seen a problem like this and the only fix is to restart the device. It can also happen if you replace the cover image directly. It seems to only happen if the book was on the home screen, so I suspect these images are being cached and the cache is not cleared properly. When I have seen it, the problem seems to fix itself after all the books on the home screen books have changed. But, that isn't a satisfactory solution for what you are doing.

Quote:
3. (Just discovered.) Newly-synced-down Kepubs don't appear at the top of Recent Reads as you'd expect. I'm not sure where they show up in that sort; I just sort by type and skip to the end of the list to find 'em...but shouldn't they show up as the most recent reads, just as new sideloaded books do?
By "newly-synced" are you talking about books you have just bought or ones that have been archived and you downloaded again? For me, new books always appear on the home screen after a sync. But, downloading an archived book doesn't change where it is in the Recent Reads list. To me this isn't a bug but a design choice. Someone had to decide if the right place in the order for this book is when it was originally added (or last read before archiving) or when it is downloaded again. Me, I can see reasons for both decisions though I'm not sure if they have made the right choice.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #168
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
By "newly-synced" are you talking about books you have just bought or ones that have been archived and you downloaded again? For me, new books always appear on the home screen after a sync. But, downloading an archived book doesn't change where it is in the Recent Reads list. To me this isn't a bug but a design choice. Someone had to decide if the right place in the order for this book is when it was originally added (or last read before archiving) or when it is downloaded again. Me, I can see reasons for both decisions though I'm not sure if they have made the right choice.
Lots to unpack there:

- I mean books I've bought maybe a day or two earlier, but haven't downloaded through the wifi sync process. In this specific case, I downloaded the books to my PC (so I could fine-tune the cover XHTML and the titles) and USB-copied 'em to the device, then wifi-synced so I could move the Kepubs from "bookmarked" to "purchased" in my cloud library.

- The home screen carousel didn't change at all, nor did the top of the Recent Reads sequence. Perhaps this is an artifact of the Kepubs' purchase timestamp being earlier than the USB transfer time or the OS timestamp.

- Either way, the result was not what I expected to see; I expected that the newest content loaded onto the device (in this case, the wifi downloads) would appear on the home carousel and at the top of Recent Reads. I did not expect purchase time to make a difference; when I first set up the Glo and did my first wifi sync on that device, Recent Reads paid no attention to purchase date or the last-read date.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #169
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lots to unpack there:

- I mean books I've bought maybe a day or two earlier, but haven't downloaded through the wifi sync process. In this specific case, I downloaded the books to my PC (so I could fine-tune the cover XHTML and the titles) and USB-copied 'em to the device, then wifi-synced so I could move the Kepubs from "bookmarked" to "purchased" in my cloud library.
I'm not sure what you are doing here. Are you using the Kobo desktop app to download and sync to the device? Or are you downloading the epubs and sideloading them? Followed by a WiFi sync after disconnecting the device.

And how are you moving from "bookmarked" (do you mean "I'm Reading"?) to "purchased" in the cloud library? From what I have seen, everything you buy is in "purchased" and everything on a device is in "I'm Reading". Deleting from "I'm Reading" put the book in the "Trash" and removes the book from the device at the next sync. In any case, that is what just happened with a test here.
Quote:
- The home screen carousel didn't change at all, nor did the top of the Recent Reads sequence. Perhaps this is an artifact of the Kepubs' purchase timestamp being earlier than the USB transfer time or the OS timestamp.
The sorting is a combination of "Date Last Read" and "Sync Time". If the book hasn't been opened, which means the "Date Last Read" is null, it uses "Sync Time". And from what I can see, "Sync Time" is when the book hit the device. I have a little trouble proving the latter as I tend to sync shortly after buying a book. So the two times are fairly close. But, I have never had a newly purchased and downloaded kepub not turn up on the home screen.
Quote:
- Either way, the result was not what I expected to see; I expected that the newest content loaded onto the device (in this case, the wifi downloads) would appear on the home carousel and at the top of Recent Reads. I did not expect purchase time to make a difference; when I first set up the Glo and did my first wifi sync on that device, Recent Reads paid no attention to purchase date or the last-read date.
The Recent Reads has always paid attention to the last-read date. Also, Recent Reads is not the same as what is on the home page. The Recent Reads includes finished book, but the home page doesn't. There is a way to get the library list to display the home page list. A search of the forum will find it.

One thing that I believe has changed with the home page and kepubs, is what happens if you are reading a kepub and sync more kepubs. I believe this will leave the current kepub as the top of the mosaic. I know this has been reported, but I don't think I have seen it. I don't tend to read the kepub version of books I buy from Kobo. I'll have to remember to try this the next time I buy a book from Kobo.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #170
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are doing here. Are you using the Kobo desktop app to download and sync to the device? Or are you downloading the epubs and sideloading them? Followed by a WiFi sync after disconnecting the device.
I never use the Kobo desktop app. Never, ever, not at all. I have wifi connectivity and the Adobe Reader for everything I would ever do with that. When I use the USB cable, it's for sideloading into device memory by using the Kobo as a flash drive.

I don't like using apps unless they actually add something positive to the experience. So far, they don't do that for me, except for using the Kobo app on my iPad for a couple of things (like removing duplicate shelves). That's why I use the terms that the Kobo device and website use, rather than terms like "I'm Reading" which only apply to the apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
And how are you moving from "bookmarked" (do you mean "I'm Reading"?) to "purchased" in the cloud library? From what I have seen, everything you buy is in "purchased" and everything on a device is in "I'm Reading". Deleting from "I'm Reading" put the book in the "Trash" and removes the book from the device at the next sync. In any case, that is what just happened with a test here.
This is why I hate Kobo's inconsistent labeling. "Bookmarked" in the website library interface equals "I'm Reading" in the app. "Purchased" there equals "everything I've bought, including free books, except for what I've trashed." "Trash" on the website is basically the Recycle Bin, where trashed stuff goes until you either permanently delete it or restore it.

On the website, you can copy "up" from Purchased to Bookmarked. You can Trash from either list (moving it from both to Trash), or un-Trash to restore its prior state. The one thing you CAN'T do from the web is remove from Bookmarked without also removing it from Purchased. You have to Delete on a device to make that happen, and that's exactly what I was doing. I'd downloaded newly-bought books (aka Purchased + Bookmarked) to my PC archive, tweaked the titles so they'd display in proper sequence, and then sideloaded via USB to device memory.

Quote:
The sorting is a combination of "Date Last Read" and "Sync Time". If the book hasn't been opened, which means the "Date Last Read" is null, it uses "Sync Time". And from what I can see, "Sync Time" is when the book hit the device. I have a little trouble proving the latter as I tend to sync shortly after buying a book. So the two times are fairly close. But, I have never had a newly purchased and downloaded kepub not turn up on the home screen.
Well, I have, in this very incident.

Quote:
Also, Recent Reads is not the same as what is on the home page.
I'm well aware of that. That's why I said "Recent Reads" and didn't mention the home carousel. YOU brought that up.

Quote:
I don't tend to read the kepub version of books I buy from Kobo.
Nor do I; that's the whole reason why I do things the way I do. Download, fix, sideload. The hole in the process is that there's no way to keep your purchase in your library but off your device without syncing the device so you can Delete it from there.
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #171
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I never use the Kobo desktop app. Never, ever, not at all. I have wifi connectivity and the Adobe Reader for everything I would ever do with that. When I use the USB cable, it's for sideloading into device memory by using the Kobo as a flash drive.
I was clarifying your process. You were talking about the kepubs and sideloading and making changes to the books. You said all these things close enough together that I wanted to make sure I knew what you were doing. And seeing as we have crossed wires, this is what I think you are doing:
  1. Buying some books on the Kobo site
  2. Downloading the epubs versions to you PC
  3. Tweaking the epubs
  4. Sideloading the epubs to the device via the USB cable
  5. Disconnecting the device and letting it process the sideloaded epubs
  6. Seeing the new books on the home screen and the top of the Recently Read list.
  7. Doing a WiFi sync to download the kepub versions of the books
  8. After the sync the kepubs are not on the home screen or at the top of the Recently Read list
  9. Deleting the kepubs from the device so they are also removed from the "I'm Reading" section of the library on the Kobo site

Is that correct?
Quote:
I don't like using apps unless they actually add something positive to the experience. So far, they don't do that for me, except for using the Kobo app on my iPad for a couple of things (like removing duplicate shelves). That's why I use the terms that the Kobo device and website use, rather than terms like "I'm Reading" which only apply to the apps.
The reason I used "I'm Reading" is that is what I see on the the web. While writing my post, I went to the site and the library section. The three options I see are "I'M READING", "PURCHASED" and "TRASH". I changed the case to suit my sensibilities. I can't see any of these on either my Glo or Touch. I think one of the older devices had a "I'm Reading" section. And the desktop application only has a "library" tab.

Quote:
This is why I hate Kobo's inconsistent labeling. "Bookmarked" in the website library interface equals "I'm Reading" in the app. "Purchased" there equals "everything I've bought, including free books, except for what I've trashed." "Trash" on the website is basically the Recycle Bin, where trashed stuff goes until you either permanently delete it or restore it.
Other than seeing different titles for the "Bookmarked"/"I'm Reading" section, that appears to be how it works. And that the free books I have are not in the purchased list. There are some books that didn't cost me anything in the purchased list, but these were purchased with a promotion code that cut the price to zero. None of the books that are shown as "FREE eBOOK" when browsing the site are shown in my purchased list.
Quote:
On the website, you can copy "up" from Purchased to Bookmarked. You can Trash from either list (moving it from both to Trash), or un-Trash to restore its prior state. The one thing you CAN'T do from the web is remove from Bookmarked without also removing it from Purchased. You have to Delete on a device to make that happen, and that's exactly what I was doing.
Yes, you are right. I had also assumed that finishing a kepub would get it removed from "I'm Reading", but it doesn't.
Quote:
I'd downloaded newly-bought books (aka Purchased + Bookmarked) to my PC archive, tweaked the titles so they'd display in proper sequence, and then sideloaded via USB to device memory.

Well, I have, in this very incident.
I'll watch more closely the next time I buy some books and see what happens.
Quote:
I'm well aware of that. That's why I said "Recent Reads" and didn't mention the home carousel. YOU brought that up.
Whoops sorry. One of the most common complaints is that book currently being read disappears from the home page when new books are added, so my mind tends to think of that in these sort of discussions. Your problem seems to be the opposite. In any case, the difference between what is on the home page and the Recent Reads is the inclusion of finished books in the latter. The sort sequence is the same. But, did these books appear on the home screen?
Quote:
Nor do I; that's the whole reason why I do things the way I do. Download, fix, sideload. The hole in the process is that there's no way to keep your purchase in your library but off your device without syncing the device so you can Delete it from there.
In that case, why are you syncing at all? If you don't want the kepubs on the device, don't sync to Kobo. Then they won't get downloaded. The only other thing it does is to check for firmware updates. Or are you syncing shelves with other devices? As you aren't using the kepubs, that effectively only sync the names, so doesn't add much.

If you want the sync for other reasons, I think I would use the Kobo desktop application. It will download the books and you can delete them there. That will put them in the place you want them on the site and prevent a sync to the device from downloading the kepub. The only real difference is which you consider the easier way to do it, the desktop or the device.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #172
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Is that correct?
Yes.

Quote:
The reason I used "I'm Reading" is that is what I see on the the web. While writing my post, I went to the site and the library section. The three options I see are "I'M READING", "PURCHASED" and "TRASH". I changed the case to suit my sensibilities. I can't see any of these on either my Glo or Touch. I think one of the older devices had a "I'm Reading" section. And the desktop application only has a "library" tab.
Either I'm misremembering, then, or they've changed the chrome. Note that the way to add a book from Purchased to Reading is still referred to as "bookmarking," though.

Quote:
Other than seeing different titles for the "Bookmarked"/"I'm Reading" section, that appears to be how it works.
That's how it's documented. Check the website's help section for the question on getting back a deleted book.

Quote:
None of the books that are shown as "FREE eBOOK" when browsing the site are shown in my purchased list.
If you add them to your library, they should. If you just download them directly, they won't.

Quote:
But, did these books appear on the home screen?
They did not.

Quote:
In that case, why are you syncing at all? If you don't want the kepubs on the device, don't sync to Kobo. Then they won't get downloaded. The only other thing it does is to check for firmware updates.
Checking for firmware updates is a significant process, and syncing also sends my delete instructions back up to the cloud. (I like to keep things tidy.)

Quote:
If you want the sync for other reasons, I think I would use the Kobo desktop application. It will download the books and you can delete them there. That will put them in the place you want them on the site and prevent a sync to the device from downloading the kepub. The only real difference is which you consider the easier way to do it, the desktop or the device.
Given the choice between (a) something I can do anywhere I have wifi with a single screen tap and (b) something I have to manually go through on my PC after digging out the cable, I'm gonna go with A every time. No contest.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #173
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes.
I'm glad I got it right that time.
Quote:
Either I'm misremembering, then, or they've changed the chrome. Note that the way to add a book from Purchased to Reading is still referred to as "bookmarking," though.
They do have a "Bookmark" button to add books to "I'm Reading" from "Purchased". It's a weird name for the action.
Quote:
If you add them to your library, they should. If you just download them directly, they won't.
I did both. I pressed the "Add to library" button when looking at the book details and then downloaded the epub. When I look at the details of these books on the site, they show as in my library. But, they are not in the Purchased list.
Quote:
They did not.
I'll watch for it. I just realised I haven't synced my Touch for a while. There are some books that haven't been downloaded to it, so I can see what happens there.
Quote:
Checking for firmware updates is a significant process, and syncing also sends my delete instructions back up to the cloud. (I like to keep things tidy.)
The firmware doesn't come out that frequently and checking here will tell you if it has. The delete instructions aren't needed if you never download the books, but I can understand the keep it tidy.
Quote:
Given the choice between (a) something I can do anywhere I have wifi with a single screen tap and (b) something I have to manually go through on my PC after digging out the cable, I'm gonna go with A every time. No contest.
You don't need to connect the device. Simply fire up the desktop application, let it sync to the server and do the deletes there. That will sync the deletes to server and the next WiFi sync to the device won't download that book. Or if it is already on the device, the book will be removed. But I get the convenience of doing it wherever you are.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #174
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
The delete instructions aren't needed if you never download the books, but I can understand the keep it tidy.
They are if you want to move stuff out of I'm Reading...

Quote:
But I get the convenience of doing it wherever you are.
Convenience is the name of the game for me. (Specifically, it's a game where you play a gas station clerk and have to keep people from shoplifting while teenagers try to get you to sell them beer. Not the best game, I admit...)

Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #175
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Bug metadata publisher

Bug when displaying metadata. The publisher metadata is not displayed with sideloaded epubs (I've not checked this on Kepubs).

Code:
<dc:publisher>Random House</dc:publisher>
When using Adobe Digital Edtions (2.0) or DL Reader (2.3.8) this publisher meta data is correctly shown.

Also add support for the ISBN meta data tag.
Code:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN">978-0-553-80780-6</dc:identifier>

Last edited by Anak; 04-09-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote