Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
macaddicted
macaddicted began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best $30 I've spent-6th gen Fire

So Woot (nee Amazon) was (is?) selling 6th generation kindle fires for $30. What the heck, I bought one. It think that, after five or six, I've finally found a kindle I can get along with. Always they were too big, too small, too finicky, and with my troubled hands, too heavy.

I'm one of those who always is reading something. Even when the TV is on I'm face down in a reading device. They've become more important with my RA as I cannot physically hold the big heavy books I tend to read without pain.

The 7" HDX I bought on a lark came closest to being satisfactory. But fell into the too small/too heavy (density matters here) category. I feared the 8" HD would be too heavy as well but it actually works really well.

I'm a dedicated RSS reader, which is the majority of my non-book reading, and wasn't really something I could do on a e-ink kindle (yes I know about Calibre, but I'm probably updating my RSS feed more often than most people do with their Twitter subscription). The enewspaper version of the LA Times works well, and I can still pull my feeds for USA Today and the Washington Post through Calibre.

Now I'm a dedicated/biased/crazed Apple user (look back to the left at my nickname) for almost thirty years now. But with my aforementioned hand issues my big iPad Pro was causing trouble. The Fire is much easier on me physically. Now I just have to get used to the interface.

Which brings me to my last bit. After spending half a day updating to the current OS (teeth grinding through X.X.X.1 upgrades) I found that the app store for Kindle, um, sucks. So thanks to all for instructions on side loading and leading me to apkmirror.com. I got all my critical apps, especially the Feedly app, installed.

Now ya'll excuse me, my iPad needs snuggling. We've never spent this much time apart.

macaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Hummm... Which Fire is the 6th gen?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
dylan_k
dylan_k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
The 6th Generation of Kindle Fire was the Fire HD 8. It was released in September 2016.
dylan_k is offline   Reply With Quote