Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #361
oxygenoxy
oxygenoxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Android
Convert asc to android format

Hi,
Could you add a feature to your program to convert x-ray data in asc to android's sqlite format?
Thanks!
oxygenoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #362
jazavchar
jazavchar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Wow, sorry I missed your post, I never got an email notification! If you are still having trouble with that book, which Goodreads page is it that isn't working?

Actually it does not work with any book that I've tried so far. First tired it with Stephen King's "The Stand".
jazavchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #363
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenoxy View Post
Hi,
Could you add a feature to your program to convert x-ray data in asc to android's sqlite format?
Thanks!
I'll have a look into it; the converter program listed in the first post will probably work for it, it's just a matter of getting the proper name for the file. I haven't had it open in a long time though so I'm not sure if it still works or not.
Any specific reason why you want to convert rather than build from scratch? Converting asc to the sqlite format isn't as good as making a new one, there are multiple features missing from the old format.
If it's just a matter of characters & descriptions, I could probably add a feature to pull the character info from the .asc as well, so it can be exported to XML and used to build the new format...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazavchar View Post
Actually it does not work with any book that I've tried so far. First tired it with Stephen King's "The Stand".
Weird, I'll have a look into it and report back.

Edit:
I've uploaded a new version (d) to the first post. When books had more than 5 characters, Goodreads shows a 'more' button and has a hidden section there so it wasn't grabbing them all. The new version should download all available characters.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 07-03-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #364
oxygenoxy
oxygenoxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Android
I managed to obtain a asc file and wanted to load it into my Android Kindle. Exporting and rebuilding will work for me too. Thanks!
Quote:
I'll have a look into it; the converter program listed in the first post will probably work for it, it's just a matter of getting the proper name for the file. I haven't had it open in a long time though so I'm not sure if it still works or not.
Any specific reason why you want to convert rather than build from scratch? Converting asc to the sqlite format isn't as good as making a new one, there are multiple features missing from the old format.
If it's just a matter of characters & descriptions, I could probably add a feature to pull the character info from the .asc as well, so it can be exported to XML and used to build the new format...

Weird, I'll have a look into it and report back.

Edit:
I've uploaded a new version (d) to the first post. When books had more than 5 characters, Goodreads shows a 'more' button and has a hidden section there so it wasn't grabbing them all. The new version should download all available characters.
oxygenoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #365
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A new version (e) has been uploaded.
Darrenmcg has returned from hiatus and has made numerous improvements including:
  • Updates to Amazon searching/parsing
  • Image handling
  • Goodreads searching/parsing
  • Option to prompt for next/previous books in a series if not found
  • New preview for start actions -- you can now check out what the start actions file would look like!

Last edited by Ephemerality; 07-08-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #366
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenoxy View Post
I managed to obtain a asc file and wanted to load it into my Android Kindle. Exporting and rebuilding will work for me too. Thanks!
I've uploaded a new file to the first post (XRay2XML) for you to test out. It's command-line only like the old converter and takes a single .asc file as a parameter (xray2xml.exe path-to-the-file). It will spit out a .xml with the data from the X-Ray into the /out folder so you can use it as a source in the main builder.
Probably better this way anyway, unless the 'obtained' asc file came with the book in question.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #367
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
New error I haven't seen before:

Code:
This is the latest book in the Millennium Trilogy series
Preceded by: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Preceded by: 밀레니엄. 3: 바람치는 궁전의 여왕
Preceded by: 밀레니엄. 3: 바람치는 궁전의 여왕(상)
An error occurred finding next book in series: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at XRayBuilderGUI.DataSources.Amazon.SearchBook(String title, String author, String TLD) in C:\Users\nick\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\XRayBuilder\GitHub\xray-builder.gui\DataSources\Amazon.cs:line 161
   at XRayBuilderGUI.DataSources.Goodreads.GetNextInSeries(BookInfo curBook, AuthorProfile authorProfile, String TLD, Action`1 Log) in C:\Users\nick\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\XRayBuilder\GitHub\xray-builder.gui\DataSources\Goodreads.cs:line 138
   at XRayBuilderGUI.EndActions.GenerateNew() in C:\Users\nick\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\XRayBuilder\GitHub\xray-builder.gui\EndActions.cs:line 241
Note I have no idea who "nick" is?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #368
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
New error I haven't seen before:

Note I have no idea who "nick" is?
That's me The beta version has full debug symbols included so it can show errors with the line numbers to make it easier to fix issues people post. It just happens to include the full path to the source file

Anyway, I have uploaded version f to the first post that should fix that (for the book you were using at the very least). That particular book was written by a different author than the rest of the series so it was having some issues finding the previous one on Amazon. I also fixed the Goodreads parsing that was causing it to find those Korean versions.

Let me know how it goes!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #369
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's me The beta version has full debug symbols included so it can show errors with the line numbers to make it easier to fix issues people post. It just happens to include the full path to the source file

Anyway, I have uploaded version f to the first post that should fix that (for the book you were using at the very least). That particular book was written by a different author than the rest of the series so it was having some issues finding the previous one on Amazon. I also fixed the Goodreads parsing that was causing it to find those Korean versions.

Let me know how it goes!
No error like that now, but noticed this:

Code:
Chapter 24 | start: 14753 | end: 14965
Part 3: Asymmetric Problems | start: 14965 | end: 15174
Chapter 25 | start: 15174 | end: 15382
Old 07-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #370
gers1978
Addict

Another thing I have noticed is if you simply replace the XRay file in the Kindle with a new one, when you try to open XRay for that book on the Kindle you simply get "Sorry, an error has occurred".

It seems if you generate a new XRay file you have to remove the book from the Kindle and re-add it.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #371
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
On my original Voyage (which I'm returning today as faulty), when I use the "About this Book" feature, a nice little window pops up with book details, average time to read from Goodreads, etc.

On my replacement Voyage (and bear in mind I simply copied over the documents folder from old to new, so it's the exact same Xray and .asc files etc as the old Voyage) choosing "About this Book" simply takes me to the book in the Kindle Store.

Also worth noting this latter behaviour is also what happen on my girlfriend's 2015 Paperwhite.

All Kindles mentioned are on latest firmware.
Any further forward with this peculiarity?
Old 07-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #372
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
No error like that now, but noticed this:

Code:
Chapter 24 | start: 14753 | end: 14965
Part 3: Asymmetric Problems | start: 14965 | end: 15174
Chapter 25 | start: 15174 | end: 15382
Looks about right. Some books are divided into parts (part 2 ends at chapter 24, part 3 starts at 25 onward) but the logic in the chapter detection isn't advanced enough to detect the span.
In that kind of case, you'd want to modify the chapter file manually so that the end of part 1 matches with the beginning of part 2, end of part 2 matches the beginning of part 3, etc.

Quote:
Another thing I have noticed is if you simply replace the XRay file in the Kindle with a new one, when you try to open XRay for that book on the Kindle you simply get "Sorry, an error has occurred".

It seems if you generate a new XRay file you have to remove the book from the Kindle and re-add it.
Not sure; sounds like an issue on the newer firmware/devices if anything. On my PW1 I can replace the X-Ray without issue (as long as the book was closed before I do it). I have no way of testing it on anything newer

Quote:
Any further forward with this peculiarity?
Not on my end. I've never even seen the actual 'about this book' page, mine has always taken me to the store. Still no idea why
Old 07-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #373
skillszone
skillszone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For some reason, the XRAY files are not been recognised by Kindle. Book for which I am trying to generate the XRAY is "The devotion of Suspect X".
I am transferring the books to Kindle through the "Email to" option in Calibre. Can this be a problem?
skillszone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #374
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillszone View Post
For some reason, the XRAY files are not been recognised by Kindle. Book for which I am trying to generate the XRAY is "The devotion of Suspect X".
I am transferring the books to Kindle through the "Email to" option in Calibre. Can this be a problem?
Yeah that's the problem, you would have to put it on the Kindle via USB either manually or through the transfer-to-device option in Calibre.
When you do the email option, the metadata on the book gets changed.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #375
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes. The send-to-email feature adds the book to Amazon's Cloud and overwrites the ASIN with one that identifies it as a PDOC from the Kindle Cloud.

You must transfer the unmodified ebook, which means sideloading.

Edit: ninjaed...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
x-ray