Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #46
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I have that problem with the Kobo Glo not remembering which page I was on. Usually it at least worked when I was at the beginning of a chapter, though. But today I turned it on and nope, it was a page behind. Annoying!
I am SO disappointed that hasn't been fixed in this new version. It almost seems like they can't have paid any attention to users problems, because that is a very big one for a lot of us. It's a very basic part of reading a book - the ability to reopen it at the (real) page where you left off reading.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #47
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I am SO disappointed that hasn't been fixed in this new version. It almost seems like they can't have paid any attention to users problems, because that is a very big one for a lot of us. It's a very basic part of reading a book - the ability to reopen it at the (real) page where you left off reading.
It maybe hasn't been completely fixed, but it seems to be down to only small number of books (I'm assuming) that are still problematic. I had one that was a problem before 2.4 and works perfectly now. I know there have been other posts with similar stories. So it may not be completely fixed, but it's not like they didn't pay any attention to user problems and I'm sure they'll look at where it's not working properly yet.

And yes, this is pretty basic and fundamental functionality that should be at the top of the to be fixed list.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #48
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Not sure if this is a new bug...but...

Since installing 2.4.0, some books (DRM) aren't allowing font change that previously allowed it. I was in the middle of a library book when I put on the new firmware, and after doing that, I opened the book and suddenly it was in a different (unclear which, but small and thin) font. But it still listed it as being in "OpenDyslexic" (not dyslexic, just using it for fun)....I changed several times, it made no impact....just said I was using whatever font I picked. Also none of the advanced settings made a difference...which is annoying since the weight on this font is low.

So I thought it might just be something funky happened to that book...something i've experienced in the past with DRM. But I was almost done, so didn't bother deleting and readding. But I just borrowed my next book, and same thing. It's a bit annoying since I have no intention to remove DRM on a library book, but really not quite sure why a book that previously didn't have a problem changing font, suddenly did.

Edit: there is also bold in this font which used to show italic using opendyslexic...i'd heard some fonts had that problem, but didn't realise how annoying and distracting to the eye until i tried reading with such a font...

also the dictionary still comes up as opendyslexic....so it seems to be embedded font....but why was that ignored in 2.3.1 and suddenly not in 2.4.0

Last edited by Uschiekid; 02-21-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: to add a few things i forgot
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #49
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Another possible bug I don't think I saw listed....

I get three flashes of the screen where it used to flash once.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Ok so today I opened a book on my KG and noticed for the first time since installing the 2.4.0 firmware a bug. So I have finally experianced the bug where the page is not where I left off in the book But rather a couple of pages previous to where I left off. I can now understand the frustration of this particular Bug.
As there haven't been as many reports of this, I'm hoping the circumstances that cause it have changed. With 2.3.1, it was when the margins settings on the device were not zero. I always read with zero margins, so I have only briefly tested with other settings and had no problems.

Quote:
On that note have any of the Kobo Developers shed any light on this round of Firmware Bugginess? Would be nice if they did offer some insight if possible.
Kobo don't normally comment on this except when they admit there is a bug. And they don't publish detailed change lists. Unless they contact someone for details about a problem, we don't hear much.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #51
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Most of the fonts that come with the Kobo are defunct, and have been since Touch (missing glyphs, incorrect italics/bold, etc.) Something that basic still hasn't been fixed or even acknowledged. I realize that just makes me one more person whining about his/her pet bug, but I think it's a rather representative one.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #52
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Most of the fonts that come with the Kobo are defunct, and have been since Touch (missing glyphs, incorrect italics/bold, etc.) Something that basic still hasn't been fixed or even acknowledged. I realize that just makes me one more person whining about his/her pet bug, but I think it's a rather representative one.
Nod. I hate trying to read cookbooks where fractions are used, and the Kobo fonts often don't have them.

Was razed in beta forum to a lack of interest.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #53
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I have that problem with the Kobo Glo not remembering which page I was on. Usually it at least worked when I was at the beginning of a chapter, though. But today I turned it on and nope, it was a page behind. Annoying!
Hang on... wasn't this always the case anyway? I remember pre-2.x.x that as long as you stayed in the book and slept the device and woke it up again, it'd still be on the page you were. But if you exited the book or switched the device off (or restarted), and then went back to the book, it would remember the *page* (ADE page) you were on, but not which *screen* of the page. Meaning, you could either enter onto the screen you left if it coincided with the beginning of an ADE page, or (a few) screen(s) before there, depending on your font and line height settings (larger/smaller)...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #54
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Bug: Games -> Sudoku numbers on the bottom that you select to place in the puzzle boxes are blacked out. Numbers can still be selected and placed in the puzzle boxes but you cannot see the numbers.

Instead of: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9] you have [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Also bottom menu seems messed up. It took several tries to get the "New Game / Save & Quit" menu to actually do something. Not sure if this is intended but the 3x3 small squares beside the above mentioned menu allow you to put 1-9 in one of the puzzle boxes. Seems very odd to me.

Reproducible: Yes in that every time I try to play the game the numbers are blacked out.

New: Yes

Kepub or epub: N/A

Workaround: unknown at this time.

Affects the Glo and apparently the Touch as mentioned here.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Not sure if this is intended but the 3x3 small squares beside the above mentioned menu allow you to put 1-9 in one of the puzzle boxes. Seems very odd to me.
I think this is a feature that lets you put guesses into a square.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #56
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finally got the 2.4.0 update, and the Kobo opened the book on the right page! Maybe, hopefully the problem was fixed. Or maybe it was a fluke. I guess we'll see!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #57
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Affects the Glo and apparently the Touch as mentioned here.
The Kobo Mini also has the same issue with Sudoku.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #58
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Bug: Games - Chess. You can play the game until check, after that the board goes blank. As if your opponent gets mad and wipes the board from the table...

Reproducible: Yes

New: Yes

Kepub or epub: N/A

Workaround: unknown at this time.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #59
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I buy a book from my Glo's wishlist it shows the wrong file size in the library listing after being downloaded, it shows a few Kb when the actual file size is hundreds of Kb or more. Books bought from the Kobo site using a web browser and then downloaded to my Glo during a sync show the correct file size, as do sideloaded books.

Deleting the book and then syncing to download it again doesn't correct the file size, I think logging out and back in to my account would fix it, but I haven't tried that yet.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #60
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
I'd already posted this in the 2.4.0. thread, but I'll reproduce here:

Device: New Touch running Glo firmware

Bug: Bold still showing instead of Italics on some fonts, both system and side-loaded. Affected system fonts: Avenir, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel, Ryumin (italicised but also bold). Affected side-loaded fonts: Droid Serif, Lexia DaMa, Liberation Mono/Sans/Serif, Times New Roman.

Reproducible: Yes

New: NO, bug was present in previous firmwares (post 2.1.5)

Kepub or epub: epub
The <em> tag is being shown as bold whereas in 2.1.5 and anywhere else (Sigil, Sony reader, Internet Explorer etc) it is shown in italics. This bug alone is enough to make me go back to 2.1.5.

Does anyone know if kepubs are OK? (At the moment I only use epubs).

This bug alone is enough for me to go back to 2.1.5, which I have done, and I can confirm that 2.1.5 does not have this problem.

Last edited by ShellShock; 02-24-2013 at 04:58 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote