Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Nice, I like it
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #17
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Nice, I like it
Ditto.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Maybe it's just how it looks on my computer screen, but the screenshot Kyrilson posted appears so low-contrast as to be very difficult to read.

I wish the Overdrive app had more adjustments for appearance. Most of my reading is library books and the Overdrive app has 3 color settings - white-on-black, black-on-white, and sepia. Sepia sounds like a good idea but the regular fonts don't provide enough contrast while the bold fonts are too bold (at least for my eyes). I don't like white-on-black. The basic black-on-white is the most readable (for me) but the white background makes it feel like I am looking into a light unless I turn the brightness so far down that contrast is lost. Also, it doesn't go dim enough for reading in a dark room (if I want to read in bed.)

Maybe someday Overdrive will add more options. For now, I am sticking with basic black-on-white e-ink, even though it does mean carrying two devices.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #19
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Maybe it's just how it looks on my computer screen, but the screenshot Kyrilson posted appears so low-contrast as to be very difficult to read.
The low contrast on dark backgrounds are nice when the room is dark. Also, you can't tell what light level is being used by the screen shot. You can crank up the light on a low contrast color scheme to uncomfortable levels. Not that you would.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #20
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Attachment 172758

This is my current favorite background and foreground color combo. I have it set as my night mode, but I use it most all of the time. It’s a nice low contrast combination, very easy on the eyes.

I tried to show this at 1% light setting, but iOS screen capture doesn’t pay attention to the light setting.

With FBReader as my app of choice, I can slide my finger up and down the screen to adjust the lighting such that it’s always comfortable. 1% in total darkness, very readable without disturbing my wife sleeping next to me.

Outside I’d probably go with black on white....but I don’t read outside that much.
That's really nice. I like the dark grey background (as opposed to black) along with the light grey text (as opposed to white). Very easy on the eyes.

Do you have any tips for reducing eyestrain for normal black text on white daylight reading? (besides the usual blue light removal and reading mode)

I'm trying to decide whether to get an e-reader or a tablet. If I can reduce the eyestrain on a tablet and get it even somewhat close to what an e-reader would be, that would probably sway me towards a tablet.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon

I find a tablet far easier on the eyes than a book (I don’t have an eInk reader). White on black can certainly be fine if you turn the brightness down. That’s really the key, keeping the tablet within a reasonable range of the ambient light in the room.

YMMV - you really need to try for yourself because no one else's experience will dictate how YOU will feel.

I don’t read outside in the sunlight much. If you do, you may be better served with an eInk reader. But I do occasionally read outside and can do so with my tablet.

Also, if you don’t have daily access to electricity- you might want an eInk reader. If, however, you can plug your tablet in at night....you will have no problems ��
Old 08-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to get an e-reader or a tablet. If I can reduce the eyestrain on a tablet and get it even somewhat close to what an e-reader would be, that would probably sway me towards a tablet.
Quote:
YMMV - you really need to try for yourself because no one else's experience will dictate how YOU will feel.
Amen! Everyone's eyes are different. Many people can read comfortably on LCD tablets; some of us couldn't get it to work without eyestrain. You won't know for sure until you try it yourself.

Maybe some of your friends or family members have tablets or e-ink readers that you could try out in conditions like where you would actually read (living room? dark bedroom? outdoors?) before shopping to get an idea of what you might like.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I actually enjoy having the lightest brown as a background with very black letters. I use this on MoonReader on my tablet for the few things I read there. I mostly read on ereaders however.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #24
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

I wish the Overdrive app had more adjustments for appearance. Most of my reading is library books and the Overdrive app has 3 color settings - white-on-black, black-on-white, and sepia. Sepia sounds like a good idea but the regular fonts don't provide enough contrast while the bold fonts are too bold (at least for my eyes). I don't like white-on-black. The basic black-on-white is the most readable (for me) but the white background makes it feel like I am looking into a light unless I turn the brightness so far down that contrast is lost. Also, it doesn't go dim enough for reading in a dark room (if I want to read in bed.)

Maybe someday Overdrive will add more options. For now, I am sticking with basic black-on-white e-ink, even though it does mean carrying two devices.
Yeah, this is mainly my low-light settings. During the day I have the same background, but a lighter text font that's more of an off cream color. It definitely stands out more then. But at night, the one I posted works well for me.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:46 AM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
On my ereader I use a black font on a white background and adjust the light as required. On my computer, using Calibre's viewer, I use a parchment background (See attached) with a black font.

On my phone or tablet I use the background in Moon+Reader seen here (see attached) with a black font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	book-bckgnd-font-color.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	173111   Click image for larger version

Name:	bigback.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	173112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190825-045247.png
Views:	156
Size:	638.2 KB
ID:	173113  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-25-2019 at 04:56 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #26
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
On my ereader I use a black font on a white background and adjust the light as required. On my computer, using Calibre's viewer, I use a parchment background (See attached) with a black font.

On my phone or tablet I use the background in Moon+Reader seen here (see attached) with a black font.
You like that gradient?
Old 08-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #27
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You like that gradient?
I prefer not to read on a tablet, but yes that gradient and adjusting the brightness works fine for me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #28
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I think that gradient background would just distract me. But glad it works for you.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #29
leebase
Karma Kameleon

[QUOTE=4691mls;3876951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnworld093 View Post
Resembles my habit of reading contrasts. Black and white has an unmatched combination as compared to other colors. Sadly, i couldn't permanently transform my device browsing interface to black background. Any app you'd like to recommend (must not show ads). PS: android user.
I use fbreader as it's Android and iOS. Seems to do new features on Android first. There is a free and paid version
Old 08-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #30
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnworld093 View Post
...Any app you'd like to recommend (must not show ads). PS: android user.
PocketBook - is free, no ads.
Moon+ Reader Pro - currently 50% discounted in the Play Store (free non-Pro version has ads, Pro version does not).

Both give 8 bit RGB control over text and background color that persists (so 16,777,216 color possibilities for each of text and background, including black and white). PocketBook also allows one to create own background textures to use (it also supplies a couple to try), but which I have not felt the need to use.

I have both and periodically tested many others, but PocketBook is my personal preference.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote