Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #676
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's a suggestion at the 'nice to have' end of the spectrum

Thinking about it a bit more, three choices doesn't make sense - None and All are covered by MS Word's built-in Formal Language->Contractions setting. So, lets say we had a Check Contractions in Narrative check box in Dialogue Check settings.

Assumption: when it's doing a downwards pass, the Dialogue Checker has two primary states "looking for an opening dialogue signifier" (Narrative state) and "looking for an closing dialogue signifier" (Dialogue state).

After the Dialogue Check down/up pass finds no missing dialogue marks, i.e. dialogue checking is finished, then: if the Check Contractions in Narrative setting is checked, it does another downward pass. In this pass, it is looking for contractions when it is in the Narrative state. On finding one it would provide two options Ignore and Correct, the latter would allow user to make small corrections like the other Check functions offer.

And, if possessive's came up as false positives that would be be acceptable to me. I can't think of any of the top of my head, but there are bound to be examples of where an apostrophe could denote a possessive or a contraction.

Contractions are not peculiar to English, IIRC some French contractions are compulsory. And whilst there are differences in the use of contractions in commonplace speech between countries, even between regions, most style guides I know suggest/mandate they be avoided in formal narrative.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:42 AM   #677
quinta@ebf.cz
Connoisseur
quinta@ebf.cz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Hi,
seems home page of project – http://toxaris.nl/en – is currently unavailable...
quinta@ebf.cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #678
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinta@ebf.cz View Post
Hi,
seems home page of project – http://toxaris.nl/en – is currently unavailable...
Try http://toxaris.nl/
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #679
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Correct, I rebuild the site. I removed the Wordpress (as I was not really using it). I forgot to adapt the link in my signature.

This is all in preparation for version 2, which is really coming along now. I expect to start beta-testing this or next weekend. Quite some improvements, most under the hood, but not all.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #680
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Correct, I rebuild the site. I removed the Wordpress (as I was not really using it). I forgot to adapt the link in my signature.
Aaah - so that's where he got it from, I hide clutter such as signatures and avatars

BR
Advert
Old 04-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #681
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
I use Word 2016 with your tool v. 1.27.0. It's already for some months that I notice that at running the "Check Dialog" tool, the former box does no longer appear. It runs, and I can do some corrections, but afterwards, I have to run the tool from the beginning, and it hangs each time at the previously found station; it's not possible to continue the search. Do I do something erroneous?
Thanks for your help!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #682
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

What is in the Dialogue Check Settings, particularly the Continued dialogue over multiple paragraphs starts with quote on new line. check box.

Some English style guides mandate that quoted speech that extends over more than one paragraph should only have a closing quote on the last paragraph.

BR
Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 AM   #683
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What is in the Dialogue Check Settings, particularly the Continued dialogue over multiple paragraphs starts with quote on new line. check box.
I tried it with this box checked and unchecked, both at no avail.
In german, this rule is not concerned.

To be more clear: when the plugin leads me to a possible mistake that in fact is no mistake (f. e. an opening quote in a poem, where the line ends without a corresponding closing quote, only a few lines later), I would like to skip this, but this is not possible. I can only restart the feature, and it will lead me to the same point again.

Last edited by Leonatus; 04-18-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:16 AM   #684
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

What happens if you click somewhere in the text outside the error zone - e.g. just before the unmatched starting quote. Don't type anything, just move the insertion point.

That's what I have to do for the multi-paragraph quotes in English.

FWIW these are my Check Dialogue settings

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	170761

BR
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #685
Leonatus
Wizard

As I use to work with doubel angle quotes, my settings are different in this respect, but the same concerning the rest (except the "Continued dialogue" box.
Moving the cursor, with changing something or not, doesn't solve the problem.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #686
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Just to be sure that it's a Dialogue Check problem, what happens if you put a closing "double angle quote" at the end of the quoted text.

I don't know if Toxaris did the multi-paragraph changes for all quote marks or just 'Double' and 'Single'. Hopefully he will come along soon and shed some light.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-19-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:22 AM   #687
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sorry, wasn't online for a couple of days. The multi-paragraph works for any quotation mark style, the algorithm doesn't even need to know.

@Leonatus, it is not quite clear what problem you are describing. The default behavior is when a missing mark is found, a popup will appear where you can decide what to do (ignore, cancel, breakout, etc). If you breakout, you can make a manual change. If the 'error' is not fixed but you do continue, the next run it will be found again since it was not 'fixed'. Now, are you saying the popup does not appear? If so, please check if it is behind another window first (I am sure you checked already, but just to be safe). If that is not the case, in the screenshot BR posted, the bottom option 'Always breakout ...' will cause the popup not to appear. You immediately get into the breakout mode, so you can make the changes. There should be an other popup to return to the routine though. Is perhaps that one hiding behind another window?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #688
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
... a popup will appear where you can decide what to do (ignore, cancel, breakout, etc).
It's just this popup that doesn't appear. But you are right: I had the 'Always breakout'-box checked. But if I do any correction or not, there appears no other popup that would enable turn back to the process. I had been looking for somehow hidden popups, but couln't find any.
Edit: Fyi, I have another computer, also Win 10, 32bit, with the same issue (there: Word 2013).

Last edited by Leonatus; 04-19-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #689
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I have Always break out in Check Dialogue procedure checked, when CD finds an error it shows this non-modal window:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD Breakout.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	170781

That window has its Stay-on-top attribute set, which makes it hard to hide. After dealing with the error I click the Back to the Procedure button

@Leonatus - are you getting that popup?

And did you try adding a '»' at the end of the quotation, if it 'fixes' your problem we will know for sure it is related to that specific text.

BR
Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #690
Leonatus
Wizard

No, there is no popup at all, and therefore no option of jumping to any option. Whether I add a quotation, remove it or do anything, doesn't matter.