Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #136
romevi
Enthusiast
romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Likebook Mars
Just wanted to say thanks for this typeface. I downloaded it and am using it now on my Likebook Mars. Very, very good.
I tried the one with weight, but it was far too heavy, so I went for the un-weighted version.
romevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #137
warface9991
Connoisseur
warface9991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Thanks for this awesome font. I use unweighted version on koreader with 2.5 contrast and it seems nice
warface9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #138
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Version 1 - ChareInk-NoHinting.zip (687 views)
Version 1 - ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.zip (469 views)

Version 1.1 - Updated the kerning and there is no hinting

Original ChareInk v1.1.zip (actually .rar 200 views)
Hi @JSWolf,

thank you very much for the fonts.

I downloaded both to my new kindle ppw4 and they have the same name when unzip the files. I rename the files and sideloaded to the font folder on Kindle, but the problem is, just 1 font are showing with the CHAREINK name. Do you know what's going on?

I have another 2 customs fonts inside kindle and they are ok (dejaVu serif and noto serif) but I can't test the 2 files.

Thank you !
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #139
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
Hi @JSWolf,

I downloaded both to my new kindle ppw4 and they have the same name when unzip the files. I rename the files and sideloaded to the font folder on Kindle, but the problem is, just 1 font are showing with the CHAREINK name. Do you know what's going on?

I have another 2 customs fonts inside kindle and they are ok (dejaVu serif and noto serif) but I can't test the 2 files.

Thank you !
The font metadata must be changed with a font editor, e.g. FontForge. Just renaming the files in a file explorer won't do it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #140
Flaviocc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The font metadata must be changed with a font editor, e.g. FontForge. Just renaming the files in a file explorer won't do it.
Thank you, help me a lot.

Advert
Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi @JSWolf,

Thank you !
Given that you have a PW4, I suggest using the version with no added weight and adding the weight you want with the PW4's font settings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #142
Flaviocc
Zealot

Quote:
Given that you have a PW4, I suggest using the version with no added weight and adding the weight you want with the PW4's font settings.
You are right !

I tested both and prefer the fine adjustment I have with the no added weight.

Awesome your work, thank you!
Old 05-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are right !

I tested both and prefer the fine adjustment I have with the no added weight.

Awesome your work, thank you!
Your welcome.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #144
Carcyon
Carcyon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
No added weight as azw3 so I can add my own weight is my new favorite font on the Kindle PW! Thank you!
Carcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 AM   #145
ChrismasJoe
ChrismasJoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Could you please kindly tell me which Dejavu Serif fonts files to copy to my Kindle PW3. There are lots of them.

I've been using ChareInk for past 3 months. Only recently i've realized that the no weight one works best for me. otherwise adding boldness to the font made it botched. I'm still using ChareInk, it's my most fav font. my current setting is Boldness 3, Font Size 5, layout compact.

Previously i've used Noto Serif, it's interesting. want to try Dejavu Serif but I'm really confused on what files to copy to my PW3. usually there are only 4 files to copy.
ChrismasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #146
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrismasJoe View Post
Could you please kindly tell me which Dejavu Serif fonts files to copy to my Kindle PW3. There are lots of them.

I've been using ChareInk for past 3 months. Only recently i've realized that the no weight one works best for me. otherwise adding boldness to the font made it botched. I'm still using ChareInk, it's my most fav font. my current setting is Boldness 3, Font Size 5, layout compact.

Previously i've used Noto Serif, it's interesting. want to try Dejavu Serif but I'm really confused on what files to copy to my PW3. usually there are only 4 files to copy.
Most of us here probably use Katsunami's modified version, myself included. You can download it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224311
Old 07-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Most of us here probably use Katsunami's modified version, myself included. You can download it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224311
It'll have the same issue as ChareInk. The version of DejaVu Sans is best without any added weight on a Kindle that allows adding font weight. For Kindles that don't run new enough firmware, it's a good one to go with.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #148
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It'll have the same issue as ChareInk. The version of DejaVu Sans is best without any added weight on a Kindle that allows adding font weight. For Kindles that don't run new enough firmware, it's a good one to go with.
Yep. It also looks very good on my Nook, as you cannot add weight to embedded fonts.

On my Kindles, CharisSIL Modified Larger with bolding at level 1 (the lowest) is still my absolute favorite. I prefer slightly larger line-spacing than the later version ChareInk has.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #149
ChrismasJoe
ChrismasJoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Thank you so much. i will try this out. the one i downloaded and tested from regular font sites didn't look so good. much appreciate this help.
ChrismasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #150
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
I've updated Charis SIL. I've not done the smallcaps yet. The updated fonts are attached here.

These are based on the version 5 of Charis SIL. They've been renamed ChareInk. They have had kerning added and one version has added weight for use with eInk screens. There is also a version with no added weight so you ca add your own weight or use with LCD screens. There is no hinting which seems to work better for eInk. And finally, the line height metrics have been adjusted to work well with ePub and with Kindles.

Version 1 - ChareInk-NoHinting.zip (687 views)
Version 1 - ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.zip (469 views)

Version 1.1 - Updated the kerning and there is no hinting

Original ChareInk v1.1.zip (actually .rar 200 views)
I appreciate your work and sharing this
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote