Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #28441
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Read a western, News of the World by Paulette Jiles. Enjoyed it, so I'm adding two more westerns: Blood Meridian and Riders of the Purple Sage, to my TBR list.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #28442
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Read a bit more brain candy than normal whilst suffering with the skin nonesense. Felt the need to sink my teeth into something. Last year, I rated Rebecca West's The Fountain Overflows in my top 10. I have decided to finish the trilogy and am re-skimming wolume 1 to that end.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 08-13-2019 at 06:53 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #28443
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished This Book Will Blow Your Mind published by New Scientist and it was very interesting. It covered a wide variety of scientific issues and I’d rate it Four Stars
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #28444
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is Timothy Zahn's, A Coming of Age a library loan. Zahn is hit-or-miss.
An early Zahn sci-fi. Interesting concept but the author didn't yet have the skill to flesh it out into a more interesting and compelling story. Too many coincidences and sudden realizations made this a below average effort. Rated C- [2 stars].

Next undecided.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:46 AM   #28445
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was pretty good, but not quite as good as recent issues for me.

I also read The Raven Tower by Ann Leicke. This was also a mixed bag for me. I loved the setting and the story was good, but I hated the style. But I'll certainly read other things by her. If I didn't have so much in my TBR pile I'd be buying the sequls to her great SF book, Ancilliary Justice

Next up: Monster Hunter Memoirs: Saints and Smoke and Mirrors.

The first is the conclusion of the prequel trilogy I've been reading. the second is the second volume in a murder mystery series set in post-war Brighton.
The Monster Hunters sequel was OK, although not brilliant.

Smoke and Mirrors was lovely. I'm looking forward to reading the third of these.

Next up: Marque of Caine by Charles E. Gannon. The latest in his SF series featuring Caine Riordan.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #28446
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I finished all 5 books of the cazalet chronicles. 5 stars. Maybe the best book I've read.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #28447
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Finished Falling Leaves: The True Story of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter

It was a good read, sad, and jumped around a bit in the time-lines. The personal tenacity to keep trying for the approval of parents or step-parents, in the face of flat out rejection, is staggering to me. The cultural "norms" of this time period are tough to understand from a US 21st century mindset. I've read many other books about this time in China, so knew some of it beforehand.

Another great book, though VERY sad, is Mao's Great Famine

This book is part of a trilogy, and hard to read at times, so I read it over a period of a few months.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 08-14-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #28448
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I have only started The One Who Eats Monsters, but I am liking it a lot already.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #28449
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I finished all 5 books of the cazalet chronicles. 5 stars. Maybe the best book I've read.
They are great, aren’t they. Very close to Howard’s own life, according to her memoir.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #28450
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished A Month in the Country, by J.L. Carr. This was one of the nominations for the New Leaf Book Club, and I decided to read it anyway, even though we selected something else for our discussion. Good Choice! (Thanks, Bookpossum, for the review!) A solid 4 stars, nearly 5 stars. A lovely, short read with no fluff, just very well written. Recommended.

Next up, A Sorrowful Sanctuary, by Iona Whishaw. This is book #5 in the Lane Winslow series of mysteries set in British Columbia. So far, MUCH better than book #4, which I dropped all the way down to 2 stars.

Also, number 7 in the Ngaio Marsh Roderick Allen series, Death in a White Tie. This is mostly an audio book listen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #28451
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
hi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
They are great, aren’t they. Very close to Howard’s own life, according to her memoir.
I think she was Louise most times in the book. Not saying she wasn't other people in the books, though.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #28452
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
New release and great, fun read: The Chase for Choronzon by Jaq D. Hawkins. Reminds me of Douglas Adams but with time travel and magicians instead of aliens.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #28453
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Just finished The One Who Eats Monsters by Casey Matthews.

I devoured this book in two days and it is going into my favorites short-list.

Some may have issues with this book for the following reasons: LGBT, romance, triggers

The main character is a monster, her purpose is to devour other monsters, and she is pretty unstoppable, so if you are looking for an OP (overpowered) protagonist, then check.
There are plenty of other monsters in this book, many of them of the human type--rapists, serial killers, those who hunt children. The suspense is good, the romance is actually not overwhelming,nor over the top, despite teenagers being involved.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #28454
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished A Month in the Country, by J.L. Carr. This was one of the nominations for the New Leaf Book Club, and I decided to read it anyway, even though we selected something else for our discussion. Good Choice! (Thanks, Bookpossum, for the review!) A solid 4 stars, nearly 5 stars. A lovely, short read with no fluff, just very well written. Recommended.

Next up, A Sorrowful Sanctuary, by Iona Whishaw. This is book #5 in the Lane Winslow series of mysteries set in British Columbia. So far, MUCH better than book #4, which I dropped all the way down to 2 stars.

Also, number 7 in the Ngaio Marsh Roderick Allen series, Death in a White Tie. This is mostly an audio book listen.
I’m glad you enjoyed it Charlie. For me it was a five star read and possibly my book of the year.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #28455
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Read Brandon Sanderson's short story "Mitosis" part of the Reckoners series. Fun stuff. Rated C [3 stars].

Next undecided.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote