Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #1
tesseractcat
Enthusiast
tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage
Sudoku for Kindle - Local Web App [aur0raHAX] [No Jailbreak]

After someone inquired in a thread about whether or not it was possible to install a Sudoku app on a non jailbroken Kindle, I was inspired to create an online, Kindle themed Sudoku app. This app only worked when connected to the internet, so I didn't consider it "installed."

Recently, I discovered aur0raHAX, or more importantly, I realized it was possible to open locally stored HTML in the Kindle browser. With this, I realized it was possible to run locally stored content, similar to the "Active-content" games, via the Kindle web browser.

To install Sudoku for Kindle with aur0raHAX, extract the attached sudoku.zip, and copy the sudoku.html and sudoku.js files into the "Apps" folder inside your aur0raHAX installation. Run it by opening aur0raHAX and clicking on sudoku.html.

To install Sudoku for Kindle without aur0raHAX, extract the attached sudoku.zip, and copy the sudoku folder to the root of your Kindle drive. Run it by entering "file:///mnt/us/sudoku/sudoku.html" in your Kindle web browser. You can bookmark this page, and open it without internet.

This was tested to work on my Kindle Voyage, running firmware version 5.9.6.1, I cannot ensure that it will work on any future firmware versions, or any other devices.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sudoku.zip (8.2 KB, 881 views)
File Type: zip sudoku_v2.zip (8.3 KB, 918 views)

Last edited by tesseractcat; 06-26-2020 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Add update to attachments
tesseractcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
Pidgy
Pidgy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the share, i will test it ASAP.
Pidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseractcat View Post
- - - -

I cannot ensure that it will work on any future firmware versions, or any other devices.
Such as on the Kobo Glo HD?
(Which according to your profile info. block is the only device you own.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
tesseractcat
Enthusiast
tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Such as on the Kobo Glo HD?
(Which according to your profile info. block is the only device you own.)
Sorry, I hadn't updated that in a while. Should be fixed.

The process I describe in the post should only work for the Kindle, but if there's a way to open local HTML on a Kobo Glo HD, it might work.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
This is very nice, thanks, can it check a puzzle for being solved correctly or not ?
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #6
tesseractcat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
This is very nice, thanks, can it check a puzzle for being solved correctly or not ?
If you click "Solve" in the bottom right corner of the app, it will show you the solution. It doesn't automatically check, however.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #7
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I really wanted Sudoku on my Kindle and was even thinking of having a go at coding it myself. Can I make the following suggestions to make it more useful?
  • If a column doesn't start with any numbers then the column is currently compressed - there should be a fixed size for squares. I assume the same thing happens for rows. That should be easy to fix via table formatting or CSS.
  • I found it confusing having the title flicking in and out with the number options - it would be better if the number options remained permanently on screen once you start a puzzle.
  • There should be a way to clear a number! when I worked out how to add a number to the screen I just added one at random and then found I couldn't remove it. You should just have an empty square alongside the choice of numbers. This bit is essential.
  • You can currently have optional numbers showing in a square as well as a final chosen number - this is wrong.
  • The method of adding multiple optional numbers to a square is quite confusing - maybe better to have a "mode" choice under the digits where you can either chose to place a final number (that clears the options) or add an optional number.
  • Why have the generate options (easy to hard) on screen all time - better to have a settings button where the user picks the level they like to play at then just have 2 buttons for New and Settings.
  • The difficulty for the puzzles seemed wrong - even the hard puzzles seemed quite easy.
  • The starting numbers should be distinguished in some way - perhaps bold text and/or a background colour of light gray.
  • Personally I think the layout could be improved:
    • A very small permanent title at the top (or no title at all)
    • then the puzzle
    • then the digits (plus a clear digit option). This button should stay selected so you could click multiple squares in succession to say add the same digit in multiple squares.
    • then a mode button that stays selected and states whether your adding a final number or an optional number.
    • finally 2 buttons for New and Settings.
    • the separate settings screen would just allow the user to pick the difficulty level, maybe have a timer, maybe show mistakes.
  • Is there any way of installing the puzzle on the kindle without going through multiple hoops? I believe html books can be turned into mobi format but I'm not sure whether the active content (your programming) would go with it. This is obviously outside your control but it would make it far easier to install on a kindle.

I know that seems like a lot of complaints but they're just suggestions on how to make the page more appealing and easier to use. I definitely like the idea of Sudoku on the Kindle but just found it a little frustrating as it stands. I don't think these changes would be hard to implement but would make things much easier to use.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
tesseractcat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I really wanted Sudoku on my Kindle and was even thinking of having a go at coding it myself. Can I make the following suggestions to make it more useful?
  • If a column doesn't start with any numbers then the column is currently compressed - there should be a fixed size for squares. I assume the same thing happens for rows. That should be easy to fix via table formatting or CSS.
  • I found it confusing having the title flicking in and out with the number options - it would be better if the number options remained permanently on screen once you start a puzzle.
  • There should be a way to clear a number! when I worked out how to add a number to the screen I just added one at random and then found I couldn't remove it. You should just have an empty square alongside the choice of numbers. This bit is essential.
  • You can currently have optional numbers showing in a square as well as a final chosen number - this is wrong.
  • The method of adding multiple optional numbers to a square is quite confusing - maybe better to have a "mode" choice under the digits where you can either chose to place a final number (that clears the options) or add an optional number.
  • Why have the generate options (easy to hard) on screen all time - better to have a settings button where the user picks the level they like to play at then just have 2 buttons for New and Settings.
  • The difficulty for the puzzles seemed wrong - even the hard puzzles seemed quite easy.
  • The starting numbers should be distinguished in some way - perhaps bold text and/or a background colour of light gray.
  • Personally I think the layout could be improved:
    • A very small permanent title at the top (or no title at all)
    • then the puzzle
    • then the digits (plus a clear digit option). This button should stay selected so you could click multiple squares in succession to say add the same digit in multiple squares.
    • then a mode button that stays selected and states whether your adding a final number or an optional number.
    • finally 2 buttons for New and Settings.
    • the separate settings screen would just allow the user to pick the difficulty level, maybe have a timer, maybe show mistakes.
  • Is there any way of installing the puzzle on the kindle without going through multiple hoops? I believe html books can be turned into mobi format but I'm not sure whether the active content (your programming) would go with it. This is obviously outside your control but it would make it far easier to install on a kindle.

I know that seems like a lot of complaints but they're just suggestions on how to make the page more appealing and easier to use. I definitely like the idea of Sudoku on the Kindle but just found it a little frustrating as it stands. I don't think these changes would be hard to implement but would make things much easier to use.
Hello mike_bike_kite, I have addressed a number of the improvements that you have suggested. Hopefully this new version results in a better Sudoku experience. Sadly, to my knowledge, there is no other way to install this, as none of the book formats allow for Javascript, which is essential for the functionality of local web apps.

Attached is the new version of Sudoku for Kindle. If you have any other improvements to suggest, feel free to post here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sudoku_v2.zip (8.3 KB, 478 views)
Old 11-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #9
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bricked PW5
Sudoku for the Kindle is pretty cool! Especially working as an offline web app.

I myself am working on a launcher similar to aur0rahax (but fancier! (also I didn’t know about aur0rahax when I started it…)) and I was wondering if I could port your Sudoku project files to work with my launcher?

I’ll give credit and link to this topic as well
Bluebotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:45 AM   #10
tesseractcat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotlabs View Post

I myself am working on a launcher similar to aur0rahax (but fancier! (also I didn’t know about aur0rahax when I started it…)) and I was wondering if I could port your Sudoku project files to work with my launcher?

Go for it. I'm surprised Amazon still lets the browser open local html.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:21 AM   #11
Lorand
Lorand began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotlabs View Post

I can't wait for finishing your launcher. I would like to try it out
Lorand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:18 AM   #12
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bricked PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseractcat View Post
Go for it. I'm surprised Amazon still lets the browser open local html.
Thank you so much! Yeah, my theory is that Amazon lets the browser do this because the Kindle store sort of needs this to work (wierd Kindle store stuff)
Bluebotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, aur0rahax, local, web