Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
noirverse
noirverse began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 5
Marvin 3 Not Showing Custom Columns in User Collections

Hi everyone, I have been having a problem recently with Marvin 3. I've been using FanFicFare to sort my fanfiction and making custom columns to list complete/incomplete stories along with groups. I polished the books I wanted to read on Marvin, but when I go to download them, they don't display anything that I've put in my custom columns on Calibre which is an issue. I assume they're supposed to be listed in user collections (which is blank). Is there any way that I can make sure that the custom columns are displayed correctly when I swipe left on the stories? Thank you for any help!
noirverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Calibre's 'Custom Columns' are for use in managing the books in Calibre, they do not make other apps recognize that non-standard metadata. The metadata is properly stored in the ePub by using the Polish option you mentioned (or the save-to-disk option) but Marvin doesn't know all the possible custom options users could think of, in order to display them.

Marvin's User Collections must be created in Marvin then assign the books to the respective collection.

There was at one time someone working on a link between Calibre and Marvin to automatically do what you would like...and it was quite promising... but then Apple changed their policy on how apps communicate with the outside world?? and it didn't work anymore.

You can manually process your books, though, and it's fairly simple. Just sort Calibre on your custom column, transfer all the books in that column/category to Marvin, then use Marvin's multi-select to add that whole batch of books to the User Collection. Repeat for each category.

Cheers!

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-24-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
noirverse
noirverse began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 5
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
There was at one time someone working on a link between Calibre and Marvin to automatically do what you would like...and it was quite promising... but then Apple changed their policy on how apps communicate with the outside world?? and it didn't work anymore.
That's a shame! I was hoping for an easy way to search for my custom metadata within Marvin as I have a lot of books, but it looks like I'll need to download in batches and sort my books into the collections on Marvin like I've been doing before. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like there's any iOS based app that would be able to read the metadata. Thank you for the help!
noirverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
No worries. I don't know if there is a reading app that can read non-standard metadata, but who knows??

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirverse View Post
That's a shame! I was hoping for an easy way to search for my custom metadata within Marvin as I have a lot of books, but it looks like I'll need to download in batches and sort my books into the collections on Marvin like I've been doing before. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like there's any iOS based app that would be able to read the metadata. Thank you for the help!
Calibre Companion does but it has no built-in reader. You have to export books from CC to another reader.

Problem when paired with Marvin is (especially for fanfics that are frequently updated) Marvin doesn't have an easy way to overwrite existing books so you pretty much have to read then delete. The only delivery method in Marvin that allows overwrite is Dropbox.

What I've done to accommodate is to dump custom columns into hierarchical tags (e.g. Fandom.Marvel, Fandom.Buffy, Buffy.Ship.Buffy/Spike) via metadata plugboards and Save to Disk to my Dropbox.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom columns, marvin