Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
ajroach42
ajroach42 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Text Adventures and/or External Keyboards for the nook?

I'm getting a nook soon. I've been searching for information about the possibility of playing text adventure games on the nook, and also using an external keyboard.

As far as I can tell, no one is seriously trying to use a keyboard with the nook. The searches I have made have returned some information about people who would like to, but no one who has actually done it.

As far as Interactive Fiction goes, I've found two posts in the forum where people say that they are working on porting this engine or that engine to the device, but I've yet to see any results. Does anyone have a working text adventure interpretor (preferably z-machine, but TADS, or even Hugo would be ok) for the nook?

I saw that the nook has a limited capacity for running JavaScript apps, which means that Parchment (the JavaScript z-machine) could conceivably be ported over. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!
ajroach42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
ajroach42

I hate to bump my own thread, but I got my nook on Saturday, and I've been playing with it. I wanted to give a small update.

Parchment, the Javascript text adventure interpreter, will load. It looks as if it would work, but there isn't a way to bring up the keyboard to interact with the games. I've been told that the same problem is present in safari-mobile. I'm going to take a peek at the source code and see if I can add a click-able input box.

I haven't gotten around to rooting yet (I'm on the new hardware, and the process seems to be fairly involved), so I don't know if Twisty or Hunky Punk works (Android text adventure game interpretors), or if there is a way to bring up the keyboard in Parchment in the rooted browser.

If anyone has any information, please let me know.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Never tried hunky punk, but both versions of Twisty worked on my evo to a certain extent although both were buggy.

Personally I like playing the big text adventures with GUEmap on one side and the interpreter on the other side of a dual screen setup
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
ajroach42

I've used both of them on my G1. Each had it's plusses and minuses. I'm just wondering if they would work at all on the nook.

I'd hate to go to all the trouble of rooting before I find out if it would. Then again, a web browser that allows me to download files might just be worth rooting on it's own.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroach42 View Post
I'm getting a nook soon. I've been searching for information about the possibility of playing text adventure games on the nook, and also using an external keyboard.

As far as I can tell, no one is seriously trying to use a keyboard with the nook. The searches I have made have returned some information about people who would like to, but no one who has actually done it.

As far as Interactive Fiction goes, I've found two posts in the forum where people say that they are working on porting this engine or that engine to the device, but I've yet to see any results. Does anyone have a working text adventure interpretor (preferably z-machine, but TADS, or even Hugo would be ok) for the nook?

I saw that the nook has a limited capacity for running JavaScript apps, which means that Parchment (the JavaScript z-machine) could conceivably be ported over. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!
Try this : NookZax.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126990
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert