Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
leaperk
leaperk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Glowlight 3 vs Kobo Platform

So I lost my Kindle Paperwhite 3 and I am currently looking for a replacement. I have most of my content in the epub format and would like to move away from the Kindle platform and use Calibre to sideload content to the new device.

I have narrowed down the choice to either updating my Kobo Touch 1.0 or purchasing the Nook Glowlight 3. I do have a Glowlight 3 on the way from Ebay that was too good a deal to pass up but I have no experience with the Nook platform.

How does the Kobo vs Nook platforms compare against each other using Calibre for managing side-loaded content?
leaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaperk View Post
So I lost my Kindle Paperwhite 3 and I am currently looking for a replacement. I have most of my content in the epub format and would like to move away from the Kindle platform and use Calibre to sideload content to the new device.

I have narrowed down the choice to either updating my Kobo Touch 1.0 or purchasing the Nook Glowlight 3. I do have a Glowlight 3 on the way from Ebay that was too good a deal to pass up but I have no experience with the Nook platform.

How does the Kobo vs Nook platforms compare against each other using Calibre for managing side-loaded content?
My opinion is that there is not much of a comparison. Going by the reports in the Nook forum, unless you absolutely want the hardware buttons, the Kobo ereaders are stabler, more customizable and have more features out of the box. For calibre, checkout the KoboUtilities plugin.

I might be a touch biased since I've owned Kobos since the original D-button Bluetooth to your Blackberry model. The only Nook I've owned was a used Simple Touch Glowlight that was given to me and I kept for 3 or 4 weeks. Given that B&N had no presence in Canada at that time, the only way of obtaining content was sideloading which quickly ran into the limited storage space for sideloaded content (a restriction which the newer firmware for the Glowlight 3 removes).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaperk View Post

I have a Glowlight 3 and love it as a piece of hardware. The software isn't especially good and can be buggy. After ejecting it, the Nook seems to reprocess all of the books. So even though your device is ejected it'll take a minute or two to reset itself.

When you sideload from Calibre, do you plan to use a lot of collections? Are series important to you? For those things, Kobo's software is superior.

I tend to read one book at a time, I don't worry too much about collections and am not a series reader. The Glowlight works great for me.

If anything I mentioned above sounds like a problem, you might look into the Kobo Clara HD. It sounds about as nice as the Glowlight 3 (though without the physical buttons) and it does have better software.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote