Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
The Day After Never - Blood Honor

I read this through the Kindle Unlimited program. The Author is Russell Blake. I will cross post this to the book's Amazon page.

This is a very good post apocalyptic novel with a twist. The apocalypse doesn't happen because of nuclear war or alien invasion. Instead it's a series of events that by themselves don't mean very much and would be quite survivable as a single event.

Instead the apocalypse is triggered by two things occurring at the same time, first a pandemic hits, which was survivable. But it happens at the same time as a severe global economic recession, limiting the world's ability to respond. This, in turn, triggers other minor failures in our global civilization. The world as we know it doesn't end because of a catastrophe, it ends because it runs out of physical and spiritual energy.

The story takes place in Texas and eastern New Mexico. The cities are run by vicious gangs who tolerate no opposition; while smaller communities and the rural people try to carry on as best they can by paying tribute to the gangs and fighting off bandits who make inter-community commerce all but impossible.

Our Hero,Lucas Shaw, is a former Texas Ranger living with his grandfather on a ranch outside a small rural village. He earns his living by capturing wild horses and scavenging what he can out in the wild and selling what he finds to either a heavily armed trading post or the people of the village.

The story opens when the Lucas, comes across the remains of a travelling party clearly set upon by bandits. Apparently, the party was trained well enough, and armed well enough that they killed or chased off the bandits, but at the cost their own lives.

As Lucas sets about scavenging the weapons, ammunition, water and food, he encounters a lone survivor who is severely wounded. A young woman in her early twenties who is very close to death.

This sets off a chain of events, for the first half of the book at least, that sort of mirrors the apocalypse itself. Individually, the events are not noteworthy, but they lead to an interesting revelation about mid way through the book.

Since it is part apocalyptic novel, part western, and part a 'warning' to the rest of us about the nature of civilization, I was a bit reluctant to download the book. I was afraid that the author wouldn't be able to adequately keep the focus of the book.

But in a frenzy of needing something to read, I did download it, and I'm glad I did. The author very skillfully weaves the three genres together into a very satisfying whole.

It ain't great art, but it IS a very satisfying read. I most definitely will read the rest of the volumes in the series.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 06-10-2017 at 05:52 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It looks interesting. I will have to try it. I see there are six books in the series too.
Thank you,
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Post apocalyptic without zombies? I'm on it!

The sample looked good so I bought it hoping it might cure my fiction reading slump. Thanks.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote