Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you mark (annotate) your ebooks? (notes, bookmarks, etc)
Never 71 53.79%
Sometimes 34 25.76%
Often 9 6.82%
Almost Always 7 5.30%
Yes, it's very important to me. 11 8.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Me too. I was always last on the office book rotation, because no one wanted it after I finished mangling it. I would split them down the spine into manageable bits of about 150 pages more or less. Dogear and usually they got wet somehow. Then put it back together with a rubber band. Needless to say, I was seldom loaned a book!
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I don't make notes, but I use book marks ALL of the time. My reading is very sporadic throughout the daytime, so I often have to bookmark my spot for next time. This is especially true if I'm reading two books at once.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I don't make notes, but I use book marks ALL of the time. My reading is very sporadic throughout the daytime, so I often have to bookmark my spot for next time. This is especially true if I'm reading two books at once.
Nyssa, don't your Kindle 3 and Nook & Kindle apps keep track of where you are in each book you're reading?? I thought that was standard for all ebook readers (and apps) now -- or am I just spoiled?

Or do the bookmarks help when switching between readers somehow?

. . . just curious!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I would have preferred a "rarely" option, rather than "sometimes". I've highlighted a few choice quotes to refer to later, and bookmark some pages if I'm passing back and forth in the same book, but those are both quite rare circumstances.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Nyssa, don't your Kindle 3 and Nook & Kindle apps keep track of where you are in each book you're reading?? I thought that was standard for all ebook readers (and apps) now -- or am I just spoiled?

Or do the bookmarks help when switching between readers somehow?

. . . just curious!
Oh, yes, the Kindle does keep track, but I play around w/ my Kindle a lot. I have gone back a few pages to re-read something, or switched to the TOC to see how many chapters I have left, or gone to the Kindle store to put another book on my wish list, plus various other things w/ Calibre, so I use the bookmarks as a precaution.

I do not really use either of the apps anymore, but I keep them both, JIC.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
Since I'm only reading ebooks lately, my notes go on a separate file.
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I never, ever marked paper books. And I don't see much point in marking up fiction. But I have been reading a ton of non-fiction lately and am finding the highlight feature on the Kindle very helpful. I am keeping a file of inspirational quotes from these books. And then when I am done I just delete the book off the Kindle and have a 'clean' copy on my computer...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i don't mark books that aren't mine. that's just rude. for my own books though, it would depend on what type of book it is.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #24
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Me too. I was always last on the office book rotation, because no one wanted it after I finished mangling it. I would split them down the spine into manageable bits of about 150 pages more or less. Dogear and usually they got wet somehow. Then put it back together with a rubber band. Needless to say, I was seldom loaned a book!
Do you have a twin sister living in Australia?
I once made the mistake of lending a book to someone who did exactly that. I was in shock when she returned it in 2 pieces, pages torn and with several chapters and half the cover missing. She seemed oblivious to my distress at the state of the book.
Fortunately I saw it on special a few days later and purchased another copy. I have never lent her a book (or anything else I wanted to see again) since that dreadful day.

Incredibly I still consider her a good friend.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #25
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
hummm interesting.... I'm somewhat new here and I thought the focus of the forums was eBooks..... not paper????? (I was really referring to eBooks)
For eBooks I do use bookmarks, my Cybook Gen3 taught me that bookmarks are always a safe idea. However, as none of my eBook Readers have a keyboard I don't take many notes.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #26
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post

If I want to make actual notes, that's why Post-It notes were invented, and I have a stack of the kind with the lines. I would not write or highlight inside an actual paper book, because I like mine to stay reasonably pristine, and also, resale value considerations.
Nothing I hate more than getting books out of the university library with underlining, usually in red pen (!) or highlighting in some colour which prevents clean photocopying or scanning. Use post-its or even the small colour stick-ons for marking lots of references. I just can't disfigure my own books with scribble.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #27
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
I voted sometimes although the correct answer would be "very very rarely".
I'm not used to marking books, but I certainly will do this in the future if possible.

With pBooks this wasn't useful (horrible handwriting), but with eBooks it doesn't hurt anyone(or anything) and might be useful if I want to check something later when I have more time or access to my PC.
(When reading technical books for example.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Bookmarks yes. I haven't yet but due to the nature of ebooks I would annotate them if I needed too. I never annotated physical books.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #29
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I was raised that books were for reading and you mark the pages with a bookmark. Any notes about the book should be put into a notebook or on notepaper that could be put into the book. My parents would even frown on bending over the corners to mark pages and made sure we knew how to read a book without breaking the spine. Most of the books I own have been read many times and still look almost new.
Are you my long lost twin??
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #30
Uddered
Uddered began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Wink

I'm a scribbler. I write on the margins of my books. I buy them myself, so I get the right to write on them when it's necessary. Methinks MY books feel much appreciated when I grace the pages with my loopy penmanship. Also it's like corresponding with the authors, only they never bother to reply.

I underline and mark with asterisk and exclamation points certain passages that I like. As PTerry says, "Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind." Ha ha ha!

I use books to mark other books since I have got to read several books at the same time (grad school habits).

I like sniffing pages too, and this is what I'm missing on the ebooks.

Last edited by Uddered; 04-19-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Uddered is offline   Reply With Quote