Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 03-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Different Font with iSilo

Some people have complained that iSilo doesn't support different fonts like for instance PalmReader Pro does.

But you can use different fonts with iSilo. Lubak gives an excellent explanation how to do that. He offers solutions for both, Palm OS 4.x and 5.x users.

For OS 4.x users (like myself), you basically need three things:[list=1][*]A hack manager a la Tealmaster (Payware) or X-Master (free) [*]FontHack 4.0c Beta (make sure you scroll down to the hi-res download)[*]A font database. Here you have the choice. You can either pick one font database from Lubak's page, or you can get the Swiz font, or you can use (if you already own it) or buy the Palm Reader Pro Font Packs.[/list=1]
In your hack manager you can configure Fonthack to map the new font to your current system font. You can do this either specifically for iSilo, or system-wide.

My favorite Font (which I use since day 2 of my Clie) is the "OS5" font from Lubak's page. The font mapping for this font is:
HrStandard -> OS5 (0)
HrBold -> OS5 (1)
HrLarge -> OS5 (2)
HrLargeBold -> OS5 (3)

I will post some comparison screenshots in the next few days.

If anyone of you owns a OS 5.x Palm and want to tell us his/her experience with font replacements, please do so here
Old 03-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #2
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
The only reason I used PalmReader Pro instead of iSilo for reading ebooks (one of my fave past times) was because of the fonts.

Wow. Thanks Alexander! I'm going to dump PRP.
Advert
Old 03-25-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I use Palm Reader Pro because of the books I can get there and nowhere else, the Webster's Unabridged for example. Tell me how I can get that elsewhere, and I too will consider limiting myself to iSilo alone. RadleyP
Old 03-25-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
One further note: I cannot use FontHack anyhow, since it conflicts with cyrillic localization. Either one or the other, not both, works. RadleyP
Old 03-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Webster's Unabridged is also available as stand-alone for PalmOS, but it comes with the awkward Franklin Bookreader.
Advert
Old 03-27-2003, 02:56 AM   #6
kstuart
kstuart began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70
Isilo consistently uses fonts that are too small for me to see (due to using HiRes).

I use FontHack 123 using the same mapping listed above - but the problem is that Isilo doesn't use the "HR___" fonts.

Since the Standard font is used in the menu system, if I map that font using FontHack 123, then the menus become unusable.

If I set Isilo to "Large Font Absolute", then I can map the Large Font to a font that I want to use (and standard stays the same so that menus are okay), but I lose all the formatting - for some reason, it doesn't use then use LargeBold for Bold text, and so forth, it just uses the one font for everything.

That setup works for Shadow Plan, because that program works well with one font and font size for everything, but in Isilo, I lose everything that I want out of a web page reader if I do that.

This looks like a "deal breaker", frankly.

PS Another problem I've encountered is that the synced files don't end up in the categories in the Isilo viewer that are set in IsiloX.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:04 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

iSilo uses the HR fonts. Have a look at the next two screenshots.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:05 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

iSilo using original 4.x fontsettings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen01.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	68  
Old 03-27-2003, 03:06 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

iSilo using Lubak's OS 5 fontsettings (as described here)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen00.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	69  
Old 03-27-2003, 03:10 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally posted by kstuart
PS Another problem I've encountered is that the synced files don't end up in the categories in the Isilo viewer that are set in IsiloX.
Interesting. I haven't had this problem and am using categories all the time. Can you tell me your current setup (iSilo version, category name, ...)?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:16 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

iSilo using PalmReaderPro's BELL MT fontsettings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen04.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	70  
Old 03-27-2003, 03:17 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

iSilo using PalmReaderPro's BELL MT fontsettings (another screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen05.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	71  
Old 03-27-2003, 03:29 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

iSilo using PalmReaderPro's Gill Sans fontsettings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen06.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	72  
Old 03-27-2003, 03:36 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally posted by kstuart
Since the Standard font is used in the menu system, if I map that font using FontHack 123, then the menus become unusable.
If you use Lubak's mappings for OS5 for instance, the menus still look just fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen12.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	73  
Old 03-27-2003, 05:29 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

iSilo using PalmReaderPro's Utah MT Condensed fontsettings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen13.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	74