Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
I sincerely don't think it does. Since the refresh speed of the display is so slow, there's really no need to cache the pages.

Also, if anyone is interested and unaware, HackBuilder grants users of the 500 access to the full power-off feature that the 505 has available natively.
Actually I think it does. You can check this by noticing that it takes much longer to go back a page than forward a page.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually I think it does. You can check this by noticing that it takes much longer to go back a page than forward a page.
And I've also noticed that if you hit <forward><forward>, the second forward takes a lot longer, generally about as long as going back a page.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I also have noticed unexplained unusual page flip delays, somehow inconsistent and seemingly random. Maybe there are hidden housekeeping tasks like memory defrag?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The full power off is already in the stock firmware in the 505.
You didn't read my question in the way I intended it, I think. I'm aware of this function of course, but it was specifically mentioned in the first post of the big "firmware update" thread that this would be an updated feature. I only read a little bit of the way into that thread, so maybe you're referencing something I'm not aware of, but my question is about the fact that this being listed as a feature implies some new functionality is being added to the current shutdown option. I'd assume that the most likely incarnation of this would be an optional setting that makes the power switch perform a full shutdown instead of just putting the device into sleep mode, but it could be any number of things (like the power switch simply being changed to shut the Reader off, a more easily accessible shutdown menu, or some combination of buttons that can be pressed to perform a full shutdown), as well as just a mistake on the part of the person reporting that as a new feature.
Any clarification on that would be great!
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
You didn't read my question in the way I intended it, I think. I'm aware of this function of course, but it was specifically mentioned in the first post of the big "firmware update" thread that this would be an updated feature.
Seeing as Fabian also mentioned "Alphabetically grouped book listings" as a "new" feature I think he just wasn't aware that those options are already present in the current firmware of the 505.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Seeing as Fabian also mentioned "Alphabetically grouped book listings" as a "new" feature I think he just wasn't aware that those options are already present in the current firmware of the 505.
Ah, too bad. I really would like a slightly more accessible shutdown feature, but maybe that'll have to wait until the next upgrade! On the other hand, this gives hope that there'll be a few surprises not yet mentioned in that thread, since the couple of seemingly-legitimate new features mentioned (only one of which is actually changes the function of the Reader itself) are would be disappointing as the only updates.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote