Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Free Kobo Books to T1

I have bought Kobo books and have no trouble putting them onto the T1. The only way I have been able to put a free book onto the T1 is by using the browser. As a matter of interest is there any other way of doing it?.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Yes. Exactly like you'd download a paid for book from the Kobo website. Click the download link and when you get a pop up select open and it'll open in the Sony software. I don't use Calibre for book management.

I also don't connect my reader when I have the software open or it'll sync. I close the software after the book shows up on it & then connect my device & just do drag and drop.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Or select "save to file" rather than "open(etc..) with Reader", then you can just drag'n drop it into Calibre and send it to device.
No Reader needed for free....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Yes. Exactly like you'd download a paid for book from the Kobo website. Click the download link and when you get a pop up select open and it'll open in the Sony software. I don't use Calibre for book management.
May not be that simple since the FREE books on Kobo typically don't have a true e-pub version but only a Kobo format epub (kepub) which won't be compatible with your Sony. Fortunately most of the free books are public domain and you can likely find them in the Mobileread library, Gutenberg, etc.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

I also don't connect my reader when I have the software open or it'll sync. I close the software after the book shows up on it & then connect my device & just do drag and drop.
Sorry I can't follow your method. When you download a free ebook it puts it in the Kobo Library. I do not see a pop-up window that allows your method. Have you done it this way?.
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Or select "save to file" rather than "open(etc..) with Reader", then you can just drag'n drop it into Calibre and send it to device.
No Reader needed for free....
I do not see an option of 'save to file', have you downloaded free books this way?. I am not that concerned about free books, I am just curious about another procedure.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
May not be that simple since the FREE books on Kobo typically don't have a true e-pub version but only a Kobo format epub (kepub) which won't be compatible with your Sony. Fortunately most of the free books are public domain and you can likely find them in the Mobileread library, Gutenberg, etc.
Thanks. I think you are correct as I tried all other methods mentioned prior to making my initial post. You are correct about other sources. I guess I just like to solve these problems when they arise. I also tried via Calibre without success.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
The reason you cannot find them is because Kobo saves them as kepub to a special directory that only a Kobo device can get to. Why they do that with the free books is beyond me. You can save directly to your T1 device from Kobo with everything except kepub files.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Some of the free books on the Kobo site are not downloadable to any non-Kobo ereader. To know which ones can or cannot be downloaded, look for the ones that say Download Options: ADOBE DRM EPUB. Then it puts it into your Kobo account. From there click on the blue link that says ADOBE DRM EPUB. That's when it'll download to your computer. If there are no download options, then it cannot be downloaded.

I have noticed that sometimes the free books have both downloadable and non-downloadable versions as separate listings. I have no idea why, but they do. You can look for the downloadable one on Kobo or go to Gutenburg or Manybooks.net etc and get them from there.

Last edited by Shopaholic; 01-02-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: error
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks to you both for your comments and explaination. I am pleased the problem has been solved. I thought I may have been missing something with the process. Cheers.