Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
fester1
fester1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 300
PRS 300 Puzzled - please help!

Will try to be as brief as possible

Computer will recognise reader ok but as soon as I open ereader library I get like a no entry type sign (think of the ghostbusters logo without the ghost) coming up on the ereader itself and device just seems to go into a continuous sync mode - although no transfer takes place

Library can see the device ok but I dont seem to be able to transfer any books from the library to the device (continuous transfer indicator as above but nothing really happens)

ereader itself when disconnected works perfectly

appreciate any help
fester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester1 View Post
Will try to be as brief as possible

Computer will recognise reader ok but as soon as I open ereader library I get like a no entry type sign (think of the ghostbusters logo without the ghost) coming up on the ereader itself and device just seems to go into a continuous sync mode - although no transfer takes place

Library can see the device ok but I dont seem to be able to transfer any books from the library to the device (continuous transfer indicator as above but nothing really happens)

ereader itself when disconnected works perfectly

appreciate any help
Did you try to drag & drop a book from your library onto the reader?
Initially, there's nothing specified yet.
You have to configure what to sync or copy manually. Without that, it's just powering the battery via USB and waiting for any kind of input.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
fester1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Did you try to drag & drop a book from your library onto the reader?
Initially, there's nothing specified yet.
You have to configure what to sync or copy manually. Without that, it's just powering the battery via USB and waiting for any kind of input.
yes I tried that but status bar just keeps showing trying to transfer but no actual transfer takes place
Old 12-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester1 View Post
yes I tried that but status bar just keeps showing trying to transfer but no actual transfer takes place
This basically leaves 2 options:
a.) You can copy via Windows explorer, without Sony library software. Not very convenient, but it's working.
b.) You can try "calibre" from Kovid Goyal. Lots of users in this forum use it for organising their entire library.

Concerning your troubles with Sony's library software: Hasn't been working for me in the beginning either.
Do you have Windows Vista? If so: DEP had been killing it for me: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=1
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
fester1

Thanks for all your advice - managed to get help direct from Sony - a few emails back and forth and a couple of reinstalls later (bypassing the reader) and everything is up and running again

I think Ill maybe avoid the sony software though and go with Calibre

thanks again
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you are not planning on buying books from the Sony store, then dump their software and use Calibre. Calibre is just awesome. The more I use it, the more I am impressed. Sometimes it just amazes me how big corporations can screw something up so much, and a small developer get it right......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote