Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Question Probably a dumb question, but ...

OK, so I've been happily buying and downloading all sorts of wonderful books, short stories & personal content to my new eBookwise 1150, which I absolutely adore.

However, I do have a bit of a quibble with the prices on some of these ebooks. For example - Stephen King's "The Stand" is $35.00! Why?

I mean, I love the book but not enough to pay $35 for the e-copy - unless I know for sure that the format would translate to any future reader I might get.

There's probably a good reason that I don't know about - maybe someone could enlighten me so I won't think be thinking bad thoughts about Mr. King, just before Lent starts? Thanks!
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It's like that at pretty much every ebookstore. Beats me as to why.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
no clue

I have a few books that are on my wishlist that I am waiting for them to come down in price. Seriously I don't know what the publishers are thinking on some of these things!

I have found some books that are out in paperback and the ebook copy is more expensive! What the heck! I don't care what the publishers claim ebooks cost less to make than a regular paperback.

I think that some of the pricing is silly but I think the publishers are scared. They don't get it, they are probabily a bit technophobic. There are a number of ebook publishing houses, that pretty much exclusively do ebooks and guess what! They seem to be doing great!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yeah, that's what bothers me - in the case of Stephen King books, I know for a fact that my local used bookstore has tons of super-cheap paperbacks of just about all his titles. For $35 I could buy 35 copies of the same book, throw them away when they get worn out and still have enough to last for the rest of my life.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
That doesnt make sense. In the Kindles case, its $8.99.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Stand/dp/B...4920295&sr=1-1

Have you checked other sites? Can you buy books for your reader from other sites?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Have you checked other sites? Can you buy books for your reader from other sites?
Wow, you're lucky. It's $35 everywhere else. Is it the uncut edition?
*nevermind, I see it is.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Wow, you're lucky. It's $35 everywhere else. Is it the uncut edition?
Yep............thats what it says....
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep............thats what it says....
Damn, you're too fast for my edits
Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Quote:

I don't think the Kindle format is compatible with the eBookwise. If I'm wrong, perhaps someone will let me know.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
I don't think the Kindle format is compatible with the eBookwise. If I'm wrong, perhaps someone will let me know.
No, you can't buy a Kindle books for your device. I was just wondering if there were other sites that you could buy from that had a better price.

I was noticing, "The Stand" is the only one of King's books that is so outrageously expensive. I wonder why?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
stoogeswoman
Zealot

aannnd ... it happened again - duplicate post! Sorry!

Last edited by stoogeswoman; 02-18-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
stoogeswoman
Zealot

"Carrie" is pretty expensive as well ... $22.75.

Just out of curiosity, is ebookwise the only site where I can purchase .imp books? There's another site called "ebooks" which seems to have several formats - Microsoft Reader, Mobipocket, and Adobe - but it's hard to tell whether or not any of these would translate to my ebookwise.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
"Carrie" is pretty expensive as well ... $22.75.

Just out of curiosity, is ebookwise the only site where I can purchase .imp books? There's another site called "ebooks" which seems to have several formats - Microsoft Reader, Mobipocket, and Adobe - but it's hard to tell whether or not any of these would translate to my ebookwise.
i would recommend that instead of purchasing .imp format books, you get .lit format (MS Reader) instead, remove the drm, and use nrapallo's conversion tool (lit2imp) to convert them in literally about 3 clicks and 15 seconds (alternatively, you can also get mobipocket books, and convert them, if lit is not available). that way you are sure you'll be able to read your book in the future if you get a different device ; the .imp format is closed and proprietary and not good at all for archiving. plus, that means you can buy books in a lot more places, even the shops which don't sell .imp format.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i would recommend that instead of purchasing .imp format books, you get .lit format (MS Reader) instead, remove the drm, and use nrapallo's conversion tool (lit2imp) to convert them in literally about 3 clicks and 15 seconds (alternatively, you can also get mobipocket books, and convert them, if lit is not available). that way you are sure you'll be able to read your book in the future if you get a different device ; the .imp format is closed and proprietary and not good at all for archiving. plus, that means you can buy books in a lot more places, even the shops which don't sell .imp format.
Also ereader format, as with the .lit and Mobipocket formats, can be deDRMed and converted.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And RTF, if you can find it or convert to it. Your reader will read that natively also.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote