Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
mlamb
mlamb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil loses format in bulleted list

I can modify the toc.xhtml numbered list (e.g., remove subheads for a shorter NCX View) and this change is retained by KindleGen in Kindle Previewer and the Kindle. But I would prefer a bulleted list and there seems to be no way to retain any change I make to a bulleted list; whether I convert to bulleted before or after I make the change, the final result does not show up in NCX View even though Sigil shows the change as made in its bullet view. Any workaround?
mlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The NCX is a different file than the TOC. So, why would changes in the one be reflected in the other?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, it's not possible to style NCX entries. The only thing you can do is manually insert bullet characters before the chapter headings or its title attributes. For example:

Code:
<h1 title="◯ Chapter One">Chapter One: The Beginning</h1>
Sigil will use whatever text you define in the title attribute to generate the NCX and HTML TOC headings.
BTW, any changes that you implement in the HTML TOC will not be automatically implemented in the NCX TOC.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BTW 2
Sigil's Generate HTML TOC
ONLY reads the NCX and not the Heading tags.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
mlamb

I am not really trying to style the NCX. I only have two goals: (1) I want the NCX to be a subset of the HTML TOC; i.e., the former with all subheads deleted from the latter, so that the NCS only navigates to the major headings. This I can easily do with the Clip tool as long as the toc.xhtml is a numbered list, and the edited NCX is preserved. (2) As a secondary / aesthetic priority I would like the shortened NCX to appear on the Kindle as a bulleted list rather than numbered. You would think that the Sigil bulleted conversion would accomplish this, but it does not; when I convert to bulleted, all of my subheads appear on the kindle in NCX even though they do not appear in Sigil after Clipping.
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mlamb

The NCX is king in the Sigil automated chain.

Note the Pulldown choices in the lower Left corner of the (ncx) TOC creation tool. Those may simplify things. Also note that you can style more than 1 header class to look exactly the same

You can try a 2 pass approach.
Remove all class="sigil_not_in_toc" in any header you want in the SUPER SET (html TOC) IF NEEDED (this puts the ticks for that item back again in the NCX TOC generator)

Generate the (ncx) TOC for the super set values
Now use Sigils Generate HTML TOC
You now have the the super set Inline TOC. Note: Sigil does not number TOC items, it just indents if at differing levels

Now rebuild the NCX to the smaller set (the level filter may work for you) by removing the ticks to hide the item

The HTML TOC has its own stylesheet, that can be customized to your hearts content
Old 03-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
mlamb

Alas, I think I found what you are referring to, but anything I try to do with it makes Sigil quit. Specifically, I bring up "Generate Table Of Contents" (Cmd-T on my Mac) and there I can uncheck any of the subheads or select None in the lower left corner. Either way, as soon as I click "OK" I get "Sigil quit unexpectedly." Here is some of the report info:
Version: 0.7.4 (0.7.4)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
Model: iMac8,1, BootROM IM81.00C1.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 6 GB, SMC 1.30f1
Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
Alas, I think I found what you are referring to, but anything I try to do with it makes Sigil quit. Specifically, I bring up "Generate Table Of Contents" (Cmd-T on my Mac) and there I can uncheck any of the subheads or select None in the lower left corner. Either way, as soon as I click "OK" I get "Sigil quit unexpectedly." Here is some of the report info:
Version: 0.7.4 (0.7.4)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
Model: iMac8,1, BootROM IM81.00C1.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 6 GB, SMC 1.30f1
On Windows (it might be general) there is a bug that causes this IF (generate) IT IS NOT THE ONLY THING DONE since the book is loaded.

Load the book.
Generate and save
then do other stuff
Old 03-18-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
mlamb

I tried saving at each step, but it does not help: (1) Exported my InDesign CC document as an EPUB file; (2) I opened the file in Sigil; (3) I saved the file [also tried skipping this save]; (4) I generated the Table of Contents, Cmd-T; (5) I saved the file; (6) I selected None to delete the subheadings [also tried doing nothing]; (7) Sigil Quits as soon as I select OK, no matter what I do after Cmd-T.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could try version 0.7.2.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

MAC's do something worse than Windows ?

I am out of ideas
Old 03-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
mlamb

Here's another report, same OS 10.8.5 as I have. Must be an unresolved bug. I hope the developer tracks this forum. http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=2417

Meanwhile, good suggestion to try 0.7.2 since 0.7.4 has issues for Mac. No quitting with older version (!) and I am closer except for new major problem. Here is what I get now:
(1) HTML Table of Contents with subheads is fine.
(2) The desired abbreviated and bulleted list of major headings is generated fine; HOWEVER …
(3) The NCX navigation no longer corresponds to the "toc.xhtml" bulleted list. When I select "NCX View" in Kindle Previewer it just says "Start"; and on the Kindle itself the 5-way controller only selects the start page (the TOC with subheads); it does not navigate between the major headings per the bulleted list.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I just checked, and (as with v0.7.4) the numbered list does not have the same problem; NCX View and navigation both behave as desired with major headings. The only issue is the aesthetic appearance of a numbered list instead of bulleted -- clearly the lesser of evils, and one of personal taste, but an odd outcome nonetheless.

Last edited by mlamb; 03-18-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The developer is no longer developing or repairing Sigil. He has a full time day job that occupies his time. So any defects must be worked around if possible.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
mlamb

Is there any comparable utility for Mac that is being maintained? I need a reliable way to add Kindle navigation to my Indesign CC Epub export. Online discussion suggests that Amazon does not accept the Calibre export.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You can try the calibre editor which is not the same thing as the calibre main program. It is part of it, but it does not make all those calibre classes, etc.

Just download calibre and locate and run just ebook-edit. See if that will do. It makes AZW3s directly.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote