Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Ivoch
Enthusiast
Ivoch began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
New Readers' Screens As Fragile As Before?

So I've managed to keep my Gen3 in good condition for almost 4 years, but now I finally broke the display. Are the new (the Sony T1 for example) readers' displays as fragile as the pre-pearl generation or are they more robust now?

I haven't kept up that closely with the technology, but I seem to remember reading something about the manufacturers switching from glass substrates to plastic. Has that happened already or is it still in the planning/development stages? I can get a replacement almost new Gen3 for about 2/3rds to half the price of a T1 - if the latter is just as fragile as the former and there's gonna be better devices in a year or two, I'll just go with the Gen3 since it's good enough for me for now.
Ivoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As I said in another thread today.

Kobo says their screen is (presumably) plastic:

Quote:
Because Kobo Glo’s advanced high-res XGA Pearl E Ink screen isn’t made from glass there’s never any glare, even in the brightest sunlight.
Also:

Quote:
Kobo Glo’s 6” high-res XGA E Ink Pearl touchscreen is ultra-thin and durable so nothing gets between you and your eBook, not even the brightest sunlight (or a little scratch).
The 2nd quote might imply that they are using LG's display (LG's flexible, plastic e-ink display hits mass production). Note that here the plastic is in the substrate. If they are using the LG display, that would be a good selling point and I'm surprised they are not making more of it. It really should be much harder to damage than the relatively fragile conventional EInk screens.

If the part you look through is plastic but the substrate is glass then the Glo may not be more durable than earlier screens.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
no glare at all? Even magazines' papers feature glare (though the glare on black ink letters stand out from the glare in the background)...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Managed to destroy my Opus screen due to carelessness. For next small reader I want one that can take some pressure and hits... I hope someone brings something suitable for it...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
Managed to destroy my Opus screen due to carelessness. For next small reader I want one that can take some pressure and hits... I hope someone brings something suitable for it...
The Wexler FlexOne seems to be the only non-glass-substrate eInk screen out there at the moment.

Very expensive though. You can go through a lot of low-end Kindles for the price of one FlexOne.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Wexler FlexOne seems to be the only non-glass-substrate eInk screen out there at the moment.

Very expensive though. You can go through a lot of low-end Kindles for the price of one FlexOne.
I got some time still, at least I have my Sony with proper case... Losing 50€ device does hurt, when it was second lost reader...

Still I hope they bring more readers with similiar tech out. Flexing isn't the needed thing but getting rid of glass...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unfortunately even the Kobo is still glass substrate, despite their advertizing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=15

They're probably saving the no glass for the next reader generation to be released in 2 years from now. Apparently the technology makes so little advancement that they have to spread it out over time to create the illusion of progress. :P

Until then you'll simply have to be very careful with your devices.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote