Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #61
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The bad news is that the slow speed is still there. My guess is that Qt on Mac OSX is simply not being optimized or is just darn slow.
Qt 4.6 is just around the corner, and Nokia has been touting performance improvements as one major development goal for this new version. Maybe that means better Mac performance... we'll see.

EDIT: Correction, Qt 4.6 has been released TODAY.

EDIT2: Qt now officially supports Snow Leopard. Hell yeah.

Sigil v0.1.6 should now take a bit longer, since I need to make sure everything works with the new version.

Quote:
Because of the impact of larger html files and given how lightening fast Tidy is, my guess is the problem is related to the Qt html widget and/or redrawing. If that is the case, unless there is some way to split the large html books into smaller pieces automatically (some type of chapter by chapter auto splitting? - or a really smart dom parsing routine) and then assigning a different Qt html widget for each segment, I am not sure what is anything can be done.
That's exactly what Sigil v0.2.0 is slated to bring. Instead of loading all XHTML files into one big flow, they will be kept separate. You will be able to select which XHTML file you want to load and edit. Should do wonders for performance on all platforms, Mac included. Hitting the "chapter break" button will split the file into two at that point.

This should all work a lot like the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio.

You can track this issue here.

Quote:
Hope this info is useful. Please let me know if there is anything I can test or do to help.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-01-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #62
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
OK, I deleted /usr/bin/sigil - but typing sigil into a terminal still launches 0.13 - strange!
Your Sigil 0.13 binary is probably in /opt. In my case, the problem was that Sigil's binary for 0.13 was in /opt and 0.15 was trying to create a "sigil" folder in the same place, hence the install issue I was experiencing. I deleted the 0.13 binary and 0.15 was happy.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #63
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Your Sigil 0.13 binary is probably in /opt. In my case, the problem was that Sigil's binary for 0.13 was in /opt and 0.15 was trying to create a "sigil" folder in the same place, hence the install issue I was experiencing. I deleted the 0.13 binary and 0.15 was happy.
Sigil v0.1.3 didn't come with an automated installer and the install target didn't default to /opt/sigil. So if it's there, you must have put it there yourself.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #64
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Mac OSX Speed issues

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I will download the new Qt 4.6 for Mac OSX and give it a test run to see if it helps anything (speedwise) on MacOSX.

Also, thanks for pointing me at your auto-split issue set for version 0.2.0.
I have bookmarked it and when I finally get up to speed on all of your code, I may try to help out during my free time by submitting bug fix patches for things that are not of immediate importance (i.e minor nits)

One trick I have used to find large html auto-split points is to use Tidy to move everything to strict xhtml, enclose text, and indent text (--doctype strict, --enclose-text yes -i ).

Finding a good split point, then is reduced down to reading and counting entire lines and when a limit is reached simply look for the next line that is NOT indented by Tidy (not in any other block element) and use that as a split point. This keeps you from splitting inside paragraphs or blocks of text.

This seems to work well in most e-books I have tried it with.

So for 0.2.0 instead of having users insert their own chapter breaks when loading a large html file, instead show a small "preview" of the book (like a Print Preview mode in Excel where you get to assign page breaks) with auto split points marked ala the above via Tidy and have them okay or move the split points, as the first step.

The nice thing is that using indents from Tidy means, I do not have to walk the entire file keeping track of open tags to find the best points to break (tidy does that), all I look at is the element indent level (simply count leading spaces before the next element begins) to decide where to split.

Thanks for all of your hard work on Sigil!

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #65
Valloric

Quote:
when I finally get up to speed on all of your code, I may try to help out during my free time by submitting bug fix patches for things that are not of immediate importance (i.e minor nits)
Great! If and when you choose to contribute to Sigil's development, I suggest you use the Google Code repository clone feature. You can clone the main Sigil repository right from Google Code, and then push and commit to that repo as you wish. Others will be able to see those changes, and I'll (and everyone else) be able to pull any changesets required or wished at will.

I don't know how much you know about Mercurial DVCS (which Sigil uses), but here's a great place to start.

Quote:
So for 0.2.0 instead of having users insert their own chapter breaks when loading a large html file, instead show a small "preview" of the book (like a Print Preview mode in Excel where you get to assign page breaks) with auto split points marked ala the above via Tidy and have them okay or move the split points, as the first step.
See, this is where my views differ. To me, Sigil is a WYSIWYG editor. It should never do something you didn't explicitly ask for. A WYSIWYG action along the lines of "detect possible split points" (or whatever) sounds like something potentially useful, but it shouldn't prompt the user for it automatically. It should be triggered directly by the user, on demand.

A lot of this comes from not wishing to blast the user with a large amount of options and configuration when he just wants to get some regular work done. Book Designer is a great example of an application that literally frightens users away with hundreds of buttons and configurations.

But I'm digressing. Discussions like this have literally filled books (those are but a few).

Thanks for your interest in Sigil. As I've said, all help is welcome. Be it suggestions, bug reports or patches (or something different).
Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #66
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Then you just deleted the shortcut . Use "locate -b sigil".
/usr/local/bin/sigil deleted, problem solved: we now return you to your scheduled activities..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #67
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The sigil 0.13 binary was in /usr/local/bin as it turned out
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote