Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
rakshi
rakshi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Weirdness...

I'm trying to convert an html file. It's a single html file and no table of contents is needed. Not a series.

And yet when I edit the metadata I see in the field under 'series' the words 'Book 1'. I can't delete them. They're just.. there.

And when I convert my file and view it, this is at the very end.

How do I get rid of the 'Book 1'? As I think it is somehow creating this erroneous 'Table of Contents'??

Thank you so much!
rakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakshi View Post
And yet when I edit the metadata I see in the field under 'series' the words 'Book 1'. I can't delete them. They're just.. there.
If they're greyed out under a blank "series" field, then they aren't actually "there." Otherwise, I don't know.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
rakshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
If they're greyed out under a blank "series" field, then they aren't actually "there." Otherwise, I don't know.
That's how it seems to me too. And yet.... *points to graphic of 'Table of Contents'* There it is at the end of every single file I convert. I go into 'view' and it's there.

I've checked the conversion defaults... nothing I can change there.

I am really at a loss.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I've checked the conversion defaults... nothing I can change there.
Did you try checking "do not add detected chapters to the Table of Contents" and/or setting "Number of links to add to Table of Contents" to zero?

I'm no expert ... so hopefully someone will be able to provide an answer on suppressing the empty generated TOC.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
rakshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Did you try checking "do not add detected chapters to the Table of Contents" and/or setting "Number of links to add to Table of Contents" to zero?

I'm no expert ... so hopefully someone will be able to provide an answer on suppressing the empty generated TOC.

I've checked and unchecked both of them... in every combination. I have the number of links to add set to zero... and I still get the 'Table of Contents' at the end of every file I convert. At times.. I get two of them.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Book 1 is just a default value and is meaningless unless you assign a series. The Table of Contents would normally contain the Table of Contents, but since your source file doesn't have a table of contents and you haven't told calibre how to aut- generate one, it's just a title
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
rakshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The Book 1 is just a default value and is meaningless unless you assign a series. The Table of Contents would normally contain the Table of Contents, but since your source file doesn't have a table of contents and you haven't told calibre how to aut- generate one, it's just a title
How do I get rid of it? I really don't want it at the end of my file. And.. it's not on the end of many of them. This just started happening a little while ago. It wasn't doing this yesterday.

Thank you.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll have to open a ticket to request the feature
Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
That's weird. Haven't had that happen to any of the HTML files I convert... Perhaps you can upload a sample problematic HTML file?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #10
rakshi

Quote:
You'll have to open a ticket to request the feature
I don't understand. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. Why would the words 'Table of Contents' suddenly be appearing at the bottom of every single file I convert?

I don't want those words there. They weren't appearing at the bottom of every file I converted yesterday. Why are they appearing there today?

This requires a new feature?

I guess I'm confused about this whole thing.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I don't understand. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. Why would the words 'Table of Contents' suddenly be appearing at the bottom of every single file I convert?

I don't want those words there. They weren't appearing at the bottom of every file I converted yesterday. Why are they appearing there today?
Yeah, that's why you should post a copy of a problematic HTML file so we can analyze and test on our systems. Who knows? It could be as simple as corrupted configuration data in Calibre or something...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
rakshi

Ok.. here we go.

Here's a link to the a test html file that made this thing happen.

Something I noticed too: In the viewer when I first 'open' the newly converted file, it looks.. weird! The font looks strange and small as you can see.

But.. once I scroll the file... the font becomes just fine... but as you can see.. the 'Table of Contents' is still there. I was right to call this 'weirdness'!!

I'm very grateful for the time you're taking with this and hope the file and images will help.

Thank you!

Last edited by rakshi; 03-14-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
rakshi

Oh.. and FYI it doesn't matter what format I use. It does the same exact thing with a txt or rtf file.

Thank you.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Ok.. here we go.

Here's a link to the a test html file that made this thing happen.

Something I noticed too: In the viewer when I first 'open' the newly converted file, it looks.. weird! The font looks strange and small as you can see.

But.. once I scroll the file... the font becomes just fine... but as you can see.. the 'Table of Contents' is still there. I was right to call this 'weirdness'!!

I'm very grateful for the time you're taking with this and hope the file and images will help.

Thank you!
Will be fixed in the next release. The first page with "Small" text in the viewer is the automatically generated MOBI cover which in this case is an image of the first page.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
rakshi

Quote:
Will be fixed in the next release. The first page with "Small" text in the viewer is the automatically generated MOBI cover which in this case is an image of the first page.
You know what?? You guys are great. And this program is wonderful enough that I'm happy to wait for the next release.

Thank you so much for all the time you've taken. I appreciate it.

Jan