Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #256
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorindwarf View Post
Yes, it's a disappointment for me too. I noticed that the items which get sync to the Kobo are the so called "Articles". Anything other - Videos, Images AND regular links to pages - are not synced.
That's not entirely Kobo's fault. If you use Pocket on the web or on a smartphone/tablet, you may have noticed that some pages you saved don't have an article view (where it's only the text content with formatting stripped out), which is what the Kobo implementation of Pocket pulls down. If you look at web browsers on any EPD device (Kobo, Kindle, etc.), if you had the whole web page rendered (what the Pocket apps usually refer to as web view), it would be an absolutely painful experience to navigate around, not to mention taxing on battery life. This, I presume, is why only content Pocket marks as having an article view is downloaded.

As already pointed out, videos are horrendous on EPD devices. Images... well, images are supported on Kobos, so they could've made an exception there.

But I completely understand the device not pulling down regular links and videos.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #257
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemon View Post
I think it triggers when for some reason the light is set to 1%. I did the 2.61b > 2.10 again and it got fixed until i manually set the light to 1%.
Mine has stayed gone, even when I set it to 1 %. But I meant, why the bug appears in the first place, for some and not for others. And now, why it has disappeared for me but not for you. It is very wierd!
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #258
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
A bug I encountered with this firmware is the one that shuts the device (and the light) if you wake it without touching the screen just after. I can live with that, but I'd rather the Kobo team fixed it (I did'nt encounter this bug with the previous firmwares).
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #259
KJB
KJB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
It's either Kobo of my eyes and probably hard to measure: it seems to me that the 1% brightness has become more bright since fw 2.10... before it was just bearable for me to use 1% when reading in darkness, now it seems to light up the whole room.

Has there already been found a software solution for lowering the lowest level of frontlight? I nosed around in the forum but found mainly things like soldering components.

Or should I just install the nightmode-fix (which I did some months ago but removed because of battery-drainage)?
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #260
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
A bug I encountered with this firmware is the one that shuts the device (and the light) if you wake it without touching the screen just after. I can live with that, but I'd rather the Kobo team fixed it (I did'nt encounter this bug with the previous firmwares).
You beat me to it. That's right: turn it on, don't touch it for a minute, then the light turns off and then the device. I'm not sure if this would repeat a second time, as I usually am ready to turn a page after a minute.
No biggie, though one wonders how this got through the test phase.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #261
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
This bug was in some earlier firmware versions, but had been fixed in recent versions. Now it is back.

A workaround is to go to the "Light, sleep, and power" settings and set "Automatically go to sleep after:" to "Never".
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #262
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Haven't had time to go through all 18 pages of this discussion, but I've read a fair chunk, and -- is anyone else having the following problem with 2.10.0?

I find that my sideloaded epubs tend to return to some relatively small default size at certain transitions in the text, such as chapter breaks. I can increase the size, but it happens again when I hit the next chapter, etc. This happens with both sideloaded fonts like Droid Serif and native fonts such as Georgia. I never had this problem before 2.10.0.

It's annoying to have to fiddle with the font size every time I finish a chapter. Does anyone have a fix for this, or at least a workaround? Thanks.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #263
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Mine has stayed gone, even when I set it to 1 %. But I meant, why the bug appears in the first place, for some and not for others. And now, why it has disappeared for me but not for you. It is very wierd!
You're using a Kobo Glo, right? I'm using an Aura HD.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #264
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
my aura seems to a lot more sensitive to touch since update. bwfore i sometimes had to push twice to turn page - it is very rarely needed now. great
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #265
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Haven't had time to go through all 18 pages of this discussion, but I've read a fair chunk, and -- is anyone else having the following problem with 2.10.0?

I find that my sideloaded epubs tend to return to some relatively small default size at certain transitions in the text, such as chapter breaks. I can increase the size, but it happens again when I hit the next chapter, etc. This happens with both sideloaded fonts like Droid Serif and native fonts such as Georgia. I never had this problem before 2.10.0.

It's annoying to have to fiddle with the font size every time I finish a chapter. Does anyone have a fix for this, or at least a workaround? Thanks.
I have been experiencing the same thing (except the font size increases instead of decreases) at every chapter break. I finally switched the font from Georgia to Default Font and have read two chapters without the font changing size, but two chapters isn't really enough to tell if the problem is gone. Very annoying.

I am also seeing the little faded page number on the right after waking my Aura HD from sleep, even though I have page numbers turned off. The page number moves down the page each time I turn a page, and finally disappears, only to return the next time I wake my Aura HD from sleep.

Last edited by icallaci; 11-10-2013 at 08:23 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #266
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemon View Post
You're using a Kobo Glo, right? I'm using an Aura HD.
Yes, GLO.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #267
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I have been experiencing the same thing (except the font size increases) at every chapter break. I finally switched the font from Georgia to Default Font and have read two chapters without the font changing size, but two chapters isn't really enough to tell if the problem is gone. Very annoying.

I am also seeing the little faded page number on the right after waking my Aura HD from sleep, even though I have page numbers turned off. The page number moves down the page each time I turn a page, and finally disappears, only to return the next time I wake my Aura HD from sleep.
My firmware version is 2.10.0 (6180f632e1, 10/21/13), on an early-model Glo. I'm sorry I didn't provide this information last night, but it was about 5:30 AM, and I was exhausted.

I also forgot to mention that I can't seem to turn page numbers in margins off, much like you, icallaci. Weird! It seems these issues are related, even if only that they occur in the same firmware version or something.

Here's another symptom: when I press the center of the screen to get access to menus, the font (Aa) menu is often already active and displayed. I haven't been able to detect whether this correlates with chapter breaks or anything else.

Don't worry about the "marching page numbers", icallaci. This happens because a page is usually a little longer than a screen. Roughly speaking, pages are measured in number of characters. So if a page can hold 1.1 times a screenful of characters at a given font size, then the first page number in the margin should occur after 1.1 screens of text, the second after 2.2 screenfuls of text, the third after 3.3 screenfuls, and so on. This will make it look like the page number is marching down the margin. It's perfectly normal.

The marginal page numbers' appearing and disappearing are not normal, however. As for me, mine seem stuck permanently on.

Hoping the forum gods will comment on these issues, or at least that someone else having them will speak up so we can triangulate.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #268
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
My firmware version is 2.10.0 (6180f632e1, 10/21/13), on an early-model Glo. I'm sorry I didn't provide this information last night, but it was about 5:30 AM, and I was exhausted.

I also forgot to mention that I can't seem to turn page numbers in margins off, much like you, icallaci. Weird! It seems these issues are related, even if only that they occur in the same firmware version or something.

Here's another symptom: when I press the center of the screen to get access to menus, the font (Aa) menu is often already active and displayed. I haven't been able to detect whether this correlates with chapter breaks or anything else.

Don't worry about the "marching page numbers", icallaci. This happens because a page is usually a little longer than a screen. Roughly speaking, pages are measured in number of characters. So if a page can hold 1.1 times a screenful of characters at a given font size, then the first page number in the margin should occur after 1.1 screens of text, the second after 2.2 screenfuls of text, the third after 3.3 screenfuls, and so on. This will make it look like the page number is marching down the margin. It's perfectly normal.

The marginal page numbers' appearing and disappearing are not normal, however. As for me, mine seem stuck permanently on.

Hoping the forum gods will comment on these issues, or at least that someone else having them will speak up so we can triangulate.
Aura HD with FW version 2.10.0 (6180f632e1, 10/21/13) - same as yours.

Well, using the Document Default font doesn't stop the font size from changing at almost every chapter break. This is extremely annoying. Are we the only two people experiencing this? I may go back to a previous FW if it continues.

I also have the Aa menu already active when I press the center of the screen.

I understand what the "marching page numbers" are, but why they disappear after they get to the bottom of the page is a mystery.

Anyone else?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #269
Inferio
Inferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
the simple answer is yes as reported by a Mini user a few posts back!!!

Have fun

Regards
Lohtse
I'm sorry but I do not see anything like that... Not sure if I'm blind...
Inferio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #270
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Aura HD with FW version 2.10.0 (6180f632e1, 10/21/13) - same as yours.

Well, using the Document Default font doesn't stop the font size from changing at almost every chapter break. This is extremely annoying. Are we the only two people experiencing this? I may go back to a previous FW if it continues.

I also have the Aa menu already active when I press the center of the screen.

I understand what the "marching page numbers" are, but why they disappear after they get to the bottom of the page is a mystery.

Anyone else?
I can confirm that Document Default doesn't resolve the issue for me either.

I may do a factory reset today and see if that helps. I did it with the Windows Kobo app last time; this time I will try to do it wirelessly.

If the factory reset doesn't do the trick, I will start a new forum topic. Perhaps no one is noticing our posts because they are buried at the end of 18 pages of other posts on marginally-related topics.