Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
ianeck
ianeck began at the beginning.

Device: View Quest Bookbox
Rogue Chrs on Bookbox in mobi to epub conversion

Hi,
I have converted several mobi to epub and most are fine. A few though have rogue '?' characters inserted when viewed only on my Bookbox.

This is the first sentence as seen on the Bookbox

?George, can?t you sit still for even a minute!? said Julian. ?It?s bad enough to have the train rocking about all .........

This is a cut and paste from the Calibre viewer of the same file extract.

George, cant you sit still for even a minute! said Julian. Its bad enough to have the train rocking about all ...................

The Calibre viewer also display the original mobi in exactly them same way.

It seems to be something to do with spaces but not all and presumably the ? means Bookbox can't interpret a character Calibre has produced in the conversion

Any pointers to help solve this would be appreciated.

Ian
ianeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
ianeck

It seems it is that the Bookbox and now also my Bookeen Orizon doesn't recognise quotes (double apostrophe) and apostrophe characters that appear in the epub created by Calibre. Presumably because Calibre doesn't understand the characters used in the source mobi.

Calibre's viewer presumably doesn't recognise the characters either but it just ignores the unknown characters rather than inserting a ? which just messes up the grammar.

Again any ideas of what to do to correct this would be most welcome.

Ian
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Did you have "Smarten punctuation" set on the "Look & Feel" page? This will put different characters for the opening and closing quotes than the simple double quote on the keyboard. Same for the apostrophe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeck View Post
Any pointers to help solve this would be appreciated.
Check out item 1 of this FAQ. I would first try cp1252 or windows-1252 in the Input character encoding box under Look & Feel then convert again. Other character encoding options might be found here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
ianeck

Thank you both for your suggestions. Both certainly make sense and I am sure the solution lies in the area you have directed me too. I have been able to edit the XML and used find and replace to correct the rogue characters with some slow sucess. This is laborious so your suggestions are most welcome. As soon as I get a moment I will fiddle with the settings suggested and update this post. Thanks again.
Advert