Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
With my last nomination, I nominate A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice by Jack Holland.

Quote:
From Goodreads:

In this compelling, powerful book, highly respected writer and commentator Jack Holland sets out to answer a daunting question: how do you explain the oppression and brutalization of half the world's population by the other half, throughout history?

The result takes the reader on an eye-opening journey through centuries, continents and civilizations as it looks at both historical and contemporary attitudes to women. Encompassing the Church, witch hunts, sexual theory, Nazism and pro-life campaigners, we arrive at today's developing world, where women are increasingly and disproportionately at risk because of radicalised religious belief, famine, war and disease. Well-informed and researched, highly readable and thought-provoking, this is no outmoded feminist polemic: it's a refreshingly straightforward investigation into an ancient, pervasive and enduring injustice. It deals with the fundamentals of human existence -- sex, love, violence -- that have shaped the lives of humans throughout history.

The answer? It's time to recognize that the treatment of women amounts to nothing less than an abuse of human rights on an unthinkable scale. A Brief History of Misogyny is an important and timely book that will make a long-lasting contribution to the efforts to improve those rights throughout the world.
I had mentioned reading it in this thread and Charlie Russel suggested I nominate it as this month's selection.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-23-2017 at 01:06 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #62
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And I'll second A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice. Sounds interesting, is moderate in length (320 pages), and reasonably priced at $4.99.

Amazon.

Overdrive (eBook only.)

Audible (but not WhisperSync)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #63
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will third The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home and The Soul of A New Machine. They are both available from both of my libraries and there is a slim chance I could get them in a reasonable time too.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #64
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Thanks for that third on The Soul of a New Machine, Dazrin. It's an enjoyable book, even though written about the creation of computing machine way, way back. Still very much applicable today, even though the specific computer is now just a memory.

Now, we just need a third for A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice. Tom has been reading this and reported back to the What are we listening to thread, and it really sounded interesting (and timely!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #65
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And I'll second A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice. Sounds interesting, is moderate in length (320 pages), and reasonably priced at $4.99.
Third.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't believe we have less than an hour to go and there are still so many nominations needing a second or third.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And that a wrap. Be back soon with the poll.

Nominations are now closed.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:13 AM   #68
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx
Greg Waddell began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
An awesome book!
Greg Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:20 AM   #69
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx
Greg Waddell began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Dark Journey by Alan W. Eckert

I'd like to nominate Dark journey by Alan W. Eckert. I think this is his latest book, published in 2009. I have read all his other stuff and it is stunning. The basic theme of his books is "How the Europeans came to possess America." Every character and every conversation in the book is supported by documentation. However, the books are written like a novel. I think Eckert is very fair in his presentation: he shows there were scoundrels on both sides of the conflict between the Europeans and the Native Americans. I have not read this one, but would love to.
Greg Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #70
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can't believe we have less than an hour to go and there are still so many nominations needing a second or third.
Well, everything with a second made it in, I think we had some long and/or expensive books this time around which damped the enthusiasm for them. Of course, there are 68 replies to the thread as I type this. Probably the most we have had in a while.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Oops! Forget to mention that the voting thread has been posted.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3600853